Gerber FAST
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Gerber FAST

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gerber FAST

I'm looking for a folder for everyday use, but within a relatively cheap budget ( i know i know, arent we all?)

I saw this in the Cabela's catalog, and I'm semi interested.

Gerber FAST

I'm not really sure what to look for in knives for quality and reliability. But I seem to have in the back of my mind the Gerber name being associated with decent products. (please correct me if I'm wrong )

Anyone have any hands-on with this knife, or other Gerber knives? I am NOT looking to spend over $60 on a knife, so please no insults at my inquiry.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I dunno. I'm partial to Benchmade's, but they're a bit more costly.

I have a couple of Gerber kitchen knives and they are excellent and really hold an edge. I also have a Gerber tool that's similar to a Leatherman tool and it's also a good piece. So I don't think you'll have quality issues.

But that's about all I can say about them. Let me know how it goes.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-19-2009, 04:32 AM   #3

I got this and like it a lot. I got it at a gun show for $35 about 2 years ago. It's a pretty high quality knife, especially for $35. It's built pretty solid, locks open well, the blade is made of good stainless steel, doesn't rust, sharpens easily and holds the edge well. The spring still opens it strong, hasn't weakened at all in the 2 years I've had it. Next time I got to the gun show I'm probably gonna get a few more. If you look here, they've got different colors a blade types(serrated, unserrated, angled and rounded blades, etc.). I also have that knife that you asking about. I don't like it very much. The locking system is strange on it, I don't like the little slide that locks it, it has always held, but sometimes seems like it could slip. Just my opinion.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright, well, you are probably gonna laugh at the 180 I just made here, buuuuttttt...

I got paid well at a wedding I just played today, and tipped even better. So, I watched some knife review vids by nutnfancy and ended up with a Spyderco.....two, actually

I'll post pix when they arrive :-)

Old 09-20-2009, 01:25 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I carry a SOG TF-3, it's a little large for pocket carry, but you can get used to it.

sog.jpg  

Old 09-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Falseharmonix, I think you made a wise choice, Spyderco is making a much better product than Gerber. Much better steel and designs. Both the lines made in Golden (Colorado) and Seki (Japan) are excellent knives with very reasonable price tags. And while I'm not a fan of Chinese made products, I've got to admit that Spyderco knives made there and in Taiwan (models like the Sage, and their much cheaper Byrd knives) are decent performers. G10 handled Byrd knives have been a great seller at my store over the past year.

I'm not sure what happened to Gerber, but ever since it was taken over by Fiskars it started making cheaper products, with lots of their knives being made in China, and steel quality dropping sharply. At least their prices are sensible.

Which Spydies did you get?

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-20-2009, 04:58 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Which Spydies did you get?
I got the Centofante 4, and the new Bug It was 8 bucks, can ya blame me? I could use a small folder while I'm in a suit anyways :-)

Old 09-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Do you know how small the Bug actually is? It makes a Victorinox Classic look like broadsword. I don't think you'll find much use for it, but it's a nice little toy. If you decide to get another Spyderco to carry when wearing a suit, check out the Dragonfly. The all steel version is nice, small enough to forget it's there but still big enough to be useful.

The Centofante 4 is really nice, one of my favourite summer EDCs. It's quite thin, so it carries very well and it slices like a light saber. I love wharncliffe blades. Congratulations on your new knife!

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, small enough for a suit, or to throw in my violin case. I don't plan on using it much, just when I don't plan on carrying something larger and need it. And again, it was 8 bucks!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #10

I have been using a Gerber "fast draw" for well over a year now as my everyday knife and I love it, I never thought I'd like such a simple affordable knife so much.
I have owned other brands like CRKT, Boker, Leatherman,...etc, the only knife I've found that might replace this one is a Benchmade. A friend of mine has one and they really are smoooooth and well built, just trying to find a reason to spend $180. on a new knife,...LOL.
But as far as the best knife for under $40., I'd say the "fast draw" is a good knife for the money.