Gas Guns - Useful or Useless ????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Gas Guns - Useful or Useless ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Gas Guns - Useful or Useless ????

What do you think? These pistols are designed to fire CS gas at an opponent. As far as I know, you cannot use conventional bullets with these pistols.

Useful or useless????

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

This is a grey area for me. On the surface I say useless, because it's not ending the threat, it's hopefully delaying it, giving you time to "get away" or put some distance between you and the attacker.

On the other side of that coin, I have purchased 3 of these Kimber LifeAct units for the females in my life ( financee', sister & mother).

Why? If I don't like them would I do that?

A pistol is my first choice, but not everyone is ready to pull a pistol and put it to use. Not everyone is ready to make that final step. If you have a pistol, and don't pull it because you are worried about the consequences, there isn't much point in having the damn thing.

My sister and mother fall into that category. Neither of them are ready to take human life, no matter what the circumstances. They believe in it, they just aren't willing to do it themselves.

My finacee' has both a 1911 and the LifeAct. She always carries the LifeAct because it is allowed EVERYWHERE she could ever go. No one questions her having it, even when her purse is scanned at the office building she works in. ( They have great security there ).

So, I have to vote USEFUL because a pistol and lethal action is NOT for everyone. If you have someone you know can't pull the trigger, having them equipped with something like a CS weapon is better than nothing...

JD

Old 09-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
This is a grey area for me. On the surface I say useless, because it's not ending the threat, it's hopefully delaying it, giving you time to "get away" or put some distance between you and the attacker.

On the other side of that coin, I have purchased 3 of these Kimber LifeAct units for the females in my life ( financee', sister & mother).

Why? If I don't like them would I do that?

A pistol is my first choice, but not everyone is ready to pull a pistol and put it to use. Not everyone is ready to make that final step. If you have a pistol, and don't pull it because you are worried about the consequences, there isn't much point in having the damn thing.

My sister and mother fall into that category. Neither of them are ready to take human life, no matter what the circumstances. They believe in it, they just aren't willing to do it themselves.

My finacee' has both a 1911 and the LifeAct. She always carries the LifeAct because it is allowed EVERYWHERE she could ever go. No one questions her having it, even when her purse is scanned at the office building she works in. ( They have great security there ).

So, I have to vote USEFUL because a pistol and lethal action is NOT for everyone. If you have someone you know can't pull the trigger, having them equipped with something like a CS weapon is better than nothing...

JD
Well said, my feelings exactly.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

The amount of agent delivered by a pistol caliber arm is generally too small to be effective unless you put it in opponent's mouth. The ones used by correctional officers are 12 guage. Different matter, still limited range, effectiveness. Tell me how well it works on someone stoned on crack or angel dust.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Might not be useful against a truely determined attacker. WTS, the psychological aspect of the sound of gunfire with the pain of the gas might make it fairly useful. Not for everyone, but it may have a niche.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You have to admit, it seemed like it worked on the guy in the video.

Hard to say how it would work against someone hopped up on PCP, looking to main/kill you.

I like the fact that it provides a choice of defense options other then a traditional firearm.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
You have to admit, it seemed like it worked on the guy in the video.

Hard to say how it would work against someone hopped up on PCP, looking to main/kill you.

I like the fact that it provides a choice of defense options other then a traditional firearm.
You never done PCP have you? It doesn't turn you into the Incredible Hulk like they told you in high school, any more than pot turns you into some deviant baby rapist.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've had to subdue someone who was on PCP, and it was a pretty hard task. My friend is an MP, and had to shoot someone on PCP 13 times COM before he went down. PCP is a superman drug. There's a reason they call it the superman drug.

Honestly, no, I've never done PCP. I tend to follow the law, being military and all.

I'll be honest, I'm kinda getting tired of having to defend myself every time I post something on this forum. It seems like most of the posts I've been looking at around here, there is always someone trying to correct someone else. Lets talk about the subject of the thread, and have a good time without having to constently trying to "one-up" someone else.

This is not indictative of a good forum, people.

Anyways, let's stay on topic. Otherwise let's just close this thread down if this turns into another off-topic debate.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post

That is pretty much the feeling of the guys around me & in the shop. Some of them have military background, some are Snake Eaters, some have police training & some have no training what so ever.

As a second choice to lethal action, it's better than holding keys in your hand and trying to scrap with someone who is larger, stronger, and probably more aggressive than you ( or your woman ).

Will it put down the Incrediable Hulk? No, probably not - But that is NOT what this product is designed for. No one claims this will make you safe, sound and allow you to just sash-shay away with a basket full of flowers.

You use this product to disrupt the vision, perhaps the equilibrium, perhaps the over aggression level of your attacker. Then you turn and move your little ass out of there, at HIGH speed.

Use as directed - Not as you THINK it's supposed to be applied....

JD

Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hopefully, wherever it's sold it's marketed as a deterrent, and not a stopper.