Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   FTF's Tomahawk Tests (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/ftfs-tomahawk-tests-33853/)

Dillinger 11-01-2010 10:26 PM

FTF's Tomahawk Tests

4 Attachment(s)
This will be the FTF Tomahawk Test Thread.

My partner in crime and I have acquired three tomahawks and we will be hacking and slashing more than a few items with them. :cool:

Our goal is to give you guys and gals a real world view beyond the hype and fluff of glossy paper advertising and fancy claims by people you don't know. This will be real world testing on a variety of mediums that you can translate into real world use as you deem possible in the future. :rolleyes:

The models being tested are as follows:

American Tomahawk's Laguna Tactical (VTAC) model: Around $100 at various places around the 'net

Cold Steel's Trench Hawk: $32 shipped to my door. I think Benning got his for about the same.

SOG's Fusion Tactical: $30-$35 at various places around the 'net

First up is the American Tomahawk VTAC.

This model wins the carry case battle hands down. The thing is MOLLE adaptable and has two quick release clips to get it out and into use. The case is well made and it will withstand a ton of field use. No questions there.

The 'hawk itself sports a very nice head on it. The handle is just under 4" in diameter, but it is pretty short coming in at a full length of 13.75" The head has a very nice, although not that thick, blade on one side measuring 2.50" inches wide and features a very nice, thick spike on the backside that is about an inch wide and almost .25" thick.

Dillinger 11-01-2010 10:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The Cold Steel Trench Hawk is a monster compared to the VTAC. It's about 19 inches long and features a much wider blade, spike and thicker steel throughout the head.

The "cover" is a nightmare. It only goes on one way and it only comes off one way. There is no easy way to attach it to your kit and if you need it in a hurry, you probably should have started unpacking it two minutes ago. :eek: I hate the cover. It will protect you against accidentally sticking yourself with it, but that is about the extent of it's "value".

Dillinger 11-01-2010 10:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a side by side of the two heads that will be doing battle on this end. Both are well made and while neither are razor sharp, they will both clearly do a lot of damage to anything in their collective way.

Judge for yourself:

Dillinger 11-01-2010 10:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the start of the test medium that I have set aside for testing on my end. Benning, I have no doubt, will be bringing an "A" game in his testing as well, along with his take on the SOG Fusion tomahawk which I have personally not seen yet.

Let's see what do we have here......

Dillinger 11-01-2010 10:35 PM

Yes. Why yes those are construction blocks, concrete blocks, 2x4's, a piece of Sch 40 conduit and what I believe to be a 3/4" piece of plywood that will be hacked through....

Wait a minute! :eek:

Is that an old snow shovel?!?!?? :eek::cool:

NitroxAZ 11-02-2010 12:37 AM

Looking forward to the testing boys. The CS Trench Hawk's cover does look to be well made even though it may be harder to take off.

M14sRock 11-02-2010 01:03 AM

Come on......I'm already running low on popcorn.......

Chop, chop with the, well....you know...

Benning Boy 11-02-2010 04:14 AM

Hi guys.

J.D. is correct. We'll be running a series of different tests, not unlike stuff we've done before, but with a few twists.

This IS NOT purely destructive testing. These hawks will be pushed to their limits, but not purely to see if they fail. We're going to see if they handle a bunch of different tasks, and just how far they go.

In researching these, I discovered alot of things before we made the first cut, and we'll be revealing those as we go.

Let me submit my entries and initial impressions....

Benning Boy 11-02-2010 04:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Covers.

J.D. is on the same sheet with me here. We haven't discussed this, but this was the first thing I looked at.

No carry option on the Cold Steel hawk. It is, essentially, an over-engineered edge protector. It's ingenious, but makes deployment impossibly slow. The snap where the nylon fastens actually scuffed the head of the hawk.

Benning Boy 11-02-2010 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cold Steel has, as near as I can tell, always treated sheaths, scabbards, etcetera, as an afterthought. A shame, since most of their products are extremely good.

Something Molle compatible would have made this S.W.A.T. worthy as standard issue for breaching.