Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Fresh off The anvil and bench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 317 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
Kinberfan,,, have you ever tried osage orange,, bois darc,, or what ever name that it may be called,,, a friend of mine is a traditional bowyer and we gather the wood from fencerows that have been taken out for self bows. There is always extra chunks around so we saw them down for scales when we can. They can be tough to work but they make nice primitive styled knife scales and when they are exposed to sunlight and age somewhat, they darken and have a pleasing appearance. They seem to be very durable as well. I have not had the chance to go to a Hammer In for several years but it was always fun to guess who may show up,, it was always very enjoyable to watch the Masters perform their art and sad to realize that much of this knowledge may be lost due to our society being more concerned with technology and instant gratification versus the patience of hand work done with dedication and respect for tradition. Good luck in your endeavors sir.
I have used that wood before but, I can't recall how well it worked out (I'm old). If I recall it is a very nice looking wood and I've seen many use it with darker wood spacers. Interesting on the archery use for that, I'm sure there's a lot more to working that wood in regards to building a bow than I'm familiar with. I would think it would be attractive nonetheless.
I hope you can attend more hammer in meetings, I can tell you that there are so many quiet and brilliant craftsman out there that if they had not come to a gathering, their art most likely would go unknown. Having worked on the anvil for more years than I care to count, I have been rocked back on my heels a hundred times by the works of my fellow blacksmith friends. I'm so glad I got to share time with all of them. Best of luck to you also in finding that same circle to garnish skills on such a wonderful craft.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #22

Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
No, I don't John but I know of him, his work as a bladesmith is beyond top notch and there are many Master craftsman in this line of work that cause me to step back and say "Wow". Another in my area is Bruce Bump. The ability to produce such exquisite knife works as they make is truly unbelievable. I highly recommend viewing their websites to see their beautiful works.
John is an intense craftsman and judging from his website he is doing much better now than as a boat builder. He was/is an artist building boats especially of the wooden variety.

For all we have, thank a vet.

"Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone."
- Erwin Rommel

Old 10-25-2013, 03:11 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan
I have used that wood before but, I can't recall how well it worked out (I'm old). If I recall it is a very nice looking wood and I've seen many use it with darker wood spacers. Interesting on the archery use for that, I'm sure there's a lot more to working that wood in regards to building a bow than I'm familiar with. I would think it would be attractive nonetheless. I hope you can attend more hammer in meetings, I can tell you that there are so many quiet and brilliant craftsman out there that if they had not come to a gathering, their art most likely would go unknown. Having worked on the anvil for more years than I care to count, I have been rocked back on my heels a hundred times by the works of my fellow blacksmith friends. I'm so glad I got to share time with all of them. Best of luck to you also in finding that same circle to garnish skills on such a wonderful craft.
I would LOVE to learn to blacksmith. Specifically knife and sword making.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."