You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Fresh off The anvil and bench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 700 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Excellent, well done,, the pattern is very nice on the blades,, have you tried mokume bolsters with that pattern? I would think it may go together well, again, very well done.
KimberFan Likes This 
Old 10-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
Excellent, well done,, the pattern is very nice on the blades,, have you tried mokume bolsters with that pattern? I would think it may go together well, again, very well done.
Hello! Thank You for your kind comments. I haven't thought about doing that pattern in mokume and yes, it would be nice. I have enough soft metal and pipe to melt down and try that...I'll see how it goes and let you know!

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 10-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #13

Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
Two blades for a couple fellas up in Northern Canada. Enjoy them guys, they're on their way to you. Sorry for the wait.

Fresh off The anvil and bench - Other Weapons
Fresh off The anvil and bench - Other Weapons
Holy smokers Nellie.............they're fantastic !

"Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone."
- Erwin Rommel
KimberFan Likes This 
Old 10-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #14

What woods do you normally use for the scales? The lower one looks similar to an ironwood burl,, but I'm sure I'm mistaken,,, have you worked with sheep horn? I never have and heard it can be very difficult to work with, I'm merely a hobbyist but I enjoy making knives for my friends and like to go to Hammer Ins, when they are in the area but they are few and far between anymore, good luck sir.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
What woods do you normally use for the scales? The lower one looks similar to an ironwood burl,, but I'm sure I'm mistaken,,, have you worked with sheep horn? I never have and heard it can be very difficult to work with, I'm merely a hobbyist but I enjoy making knives for my friends and like to go to Hammer Ins, when they are in the area but they are few and far between anymore, good luck sir.
I buy mostly only stabilized box elder burl woods. There are many out there who sell them. I like Staburl out of Weezer Idaho. I've done a few antler and horn but, tend to shy away due to the are prone to chalk eventually and crack. I have heard some builders have their antler/horn stabilized as well. Ironwood makes great handles, stinks bad on the grinder and due to the oil in it, it does clog up sanding belts quicker. The hammer ins are nothing short of fantastic, I've met sooo many good folks at them, shared ideas and always left with a smile. Best wishes on your hobby, it's very nice to hear those like yourself carrying on the traditions of the metal crafts.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #16

Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 46

KimberFan ( btw...me too ) are you familiar with John White ?

"Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone."
- Erwin Rommel

Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #17

Liked 206 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Those are some nice blades there, I like your work

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED
KimberFan Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargeahead View Post
KimberFan ( btw...me too ) are you familiar with John White ?
No, I don't John but I know of him, his work as a bladesmith is beyond top notch and there are many Master craftsman in this line of work that cause me to step back and say "Wow". Another in my area is Bruce Bump. The ability to produce such exquisite knife works as they make is truly unbelievable. I highly recommend viewing their websites to see their beautiful works.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10888 Times on 6493 Posts
Likes Given: 16120

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
They are both beautiful!

That second knife may be the most beautiful blade I have ever seen!
I agree. Those knives are beautiful.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #20

Kinberfan,,, have you ever tried osage orange,, bois darc,, or what ever name that it may be called,,, a friend of mine is a traditional bowyer and we gather the wood from fencerows that have been taken out for self bows. There is always extra chunks around so we saw them down for scales when we can. They can be tough to work but they make nice primitive styled knife scales and when they are exposed to sunlight and age somewhat, they darken and have a pleasing appearance. They seem to be very durable as well. I have not had the chance to go to a Hammer In for several years but it was always fun to guess who may show up,, it was always very enjoyable to watch the Masters perform their art and sad to realize that much of this knowledge may be lost due to our society being more concerned with technology and instant gratification versus the patience of hand work done with dedication and respect for tradition. Good luck in your endeavors sir.