Freaking Robin Hood!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Freaking Robin Hood!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 7 Posts

Default Freaking Robin Hood!

Miserable hot day here in SE GA, heat index was about 120. Headed to SC this afternoon and after finishing my must do chore (back brakes on the truck), I setup a target area and broke out the bow. I have a large cardboard box about 3 feet square packed with old Styrofoam and newspaper for a base. I taped on a paper plate for a target and drew a bullseye on it. I figured I'd start at 15 paces as I haven't shot a bow in going on 40 years.

I bought the bow bare so I added the arrow rest and sight and I had no idea whether I had them setup right. I didn't - as I barely even hit the box on the first arrow. After some tweaking I got them dialed in pretty good. Anyway, I was able to put 10 arrows in the paper plate at 15 paces - so I'm happy for a start. Rather than use a release, I was shooting with my fingers. I had the bow turned down to 45# and it worked well.

I think I'm going to enjoy this very much!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #2

Liked 3739 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

So u gonna go the full get up - tights, vest and a cap?

Congrats, keep us updated and enjoy!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
So u gonna go the full get up - tights, vest and a cap?

Congrats, keep us updated and enjoy!
Nah, Dog - I'll leave the fancy duds to someone else I think. I also know this isn't a real accomplishment and real bow shooters will laugh - a paper plate at 15 yards - big deal. I'm proud of it though considering I haven't shot a bow since I was 16 or 17. I sure like the cost of the "ammo" though, just walk to the target and retrieve the arrows.

I pretty sure I have found another fun hobby and maybe with lots of practice I won't suck so bad...

Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #4

so did you robin hood an arrow or not?
done it twice and my friend did it to my arrow once, here's my first one.

aim small, miss small

Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGlass View Post
so did you robin hood an arrow or not?
done it twice and my friend did it to my arrow once
Of course not as I'm a freaking beginner - I believe I mentioned that.

I was making reference to the fella that ran around England in tights shooting a bow. I find you to be exactly the type I see on archerytalk - knows all, can do all, and likes to brag. Perhaps I'm wrong but so far you've jumped in 2 of my posts and offered nothing but your amazing feats and bad advice. (My RazorX shoot though does not use or need cable slides)

Last edited by NGIB; 07-31-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #6

Liked 3739 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

NGIB - don't sweat your shooting, a plate at 15yds is pretty good for a first time out in years. Look forward to hearing about your new found hobby.

Last summer Olympics I watched a shooter from China miss a 4" center mark at 20yds. Maybe it's just me but i would think an Olympic competitor would hit that shot 100 out of 100 times.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Of course not as I'm a freaking beginner - I believe I mentioned that.

I was making reference to the fella that ran around England in tights shooting a bow. I find you to be exactly the type I see on archerytalk - knows all, can do all, and likes to brag. Perhaps I'm wrong but so far you've jumped in 2 of my posts and offered nothing but your amazing feats and bad advice. (My RazorX shoot though does not use or need cable slides)
haha, no i don't go on archerytalk, hate that place, and to be honest, i've been feeling the same way, I was just giving a little bit of my opinion on the last post, and I did that robin hood when I first started out as well....so don't get all pissy pants on me

aim small, miss small

Old 07-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Keep trying, NGIB! Focus on being consistent in your draw and on a clean release. Don't pay to much attention to where the arrows end up, that's the easy part to correct once you get the technique down.

Looks like you're having fun, mate. That means you're doing it right!

Sorry I can't help with the sight and arrow rest set up, on my longbows I just need to worry about the string.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Don't pay to much attention to where the arrows end up, that's the easy part to correct once you get the technique down.
You speak the truth here. Didn't have a lot of time this weekend as the brakes on my truck gave me fits. Had a frozen caliper and ended up doing a lot of work to get things fixed. Anyway, was able to find an hour to shoot the bow. Rather than focus on where each arrow hit, I concentrated on being consistent shot to shot form wise. Towards the end of the session I was able to shoot a 3 arrow group of 2" at the 15 yards I've been practicing at. I can tell you that form and release are absolutely critical for accuracy.

Still shooting with fingers for now (I have 2 releases) but I did wimp out and start using a glove...

Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How many arrows have you lost? When I first got mine I lost a few and
when you're shooting carbons it can get expensive fast.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer