Which flashlight makes a good fist load?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Which flashlight makes a good fist load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Which flashlight makes a good fist load?

I was watching a training video regarding fist load type weapons like this Koga. It also discussed types of hand flashlights that would make good fist load type weapons as well. What brand or model would you suggest?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I would rather just use a Maglite 6-cell D white star as a weapon. I don't know if you've ever been hit in the joints by one of those, but they hurt a lot. And as far as I can tell they're indestructible. Also bright as hell. Though not very easily hidden, if thats what you're looking for.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I would rather just use a Maglite 6-cell D white star as a weapon. I don't know if you've ever been hit in the joints by one of those, but they hurt a lot. And as far as I can tell they're indestructible. Also bright as hell. Though not very easily hidden, if thats what you're looking for.
I was thinking of a small hand held flashlight that can be used as an impact weapon held tightly in your fist. Then used when trying to punch someone you would hit them with the end of the flashlight for bashing damage. Possibly something like this but not so expensive, I can look more so around this site.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Great for vehicles! I've carried the same one in my pickups for years. I actually converted it to LED a couple years ago. You're spot on in that they aren't concealable. So the problem is you're not going out in public with one in your pocket. If someone was to stick their head in my pickup cab or something that didn't warrant a gunshot wound, they'd be getting a face/teeth full of Maglite! I even roughed up the cap and crown so it will tear skin.

For everyday carry: My vote is 100% for the Surefire E2D defender. Can be used as a compact, 200 Lumen blinding tool (as part of a good CCW rig), a blunt striking tool and rolls the knuckles forward nicely when held in the fist. This light really fills that niche nicely for a concealed carry rig. Get it, use it, love it. A hard jab from one of these nasty little suckers into an occular cavity and it's light out biaaaa%#h! Mine has been to hell and back, dropped in saltwater bilges offshore and used daily. I carry it with me through airports since it's one of the few things that are able to make it through TSA. I use this light everyday at work. I have to constantly dig around in poorly lit areas and read schematics. This is where the uber efficient 5 Lumen low setting comes into play. This is also effective when it comes to maps and reading documents in the dark. When I need that 200 lumens to light up overheads and such, I have it available. This is the default mode. If I had to blind someone with it, I could do it no problem. Even in daylight this thing will blind you.
To be fair, I'll lay out some down sides: The CR123 batteries are not as common as AA's. It is what it is. This is what the tactical market has found to be the level best battery for this market. Because the batteries are uncommon, I pay out of my own pocket to keep this light running at work. Oh well, it's worth it!
The sharp edges wear holes in your pockets eventually. The Defenders come with a good holster. My holster is dedicated to my 5.11 pack (carry on travel bag) and I keep forgetting to order another. If you don't want the sharp edges, then I recommend the Outdoorsman model. I have both, I've put both of them through hell and I love both. The single cell Outdoorsman found it's way into my wife's purse, so it gave me the excuse to buy the Defender :-)
They are not rated for explosive/hazardous/electrically, intrinsically unsafe areas. This isn't a concern for most but I have to consider this at work.
They aren't cheap. At about $160, you are not going to buy a dozen to keep everywhere (unless you have that kinda dough laying around) but they will save your butt in a pinch.
Both are rock solid. We've been using streamlight for years in the offshore industry (usually the plastic/rubber models for inherently safe reasons). They are built to be extremely robust. YM WITH STREAMLIGHT WILL NOT V.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Last edited by fixxer; 02-20-2011 at 07:37 PM.