First time bow hunter.. Compound bow
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > First time bow hunter.. Compound bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First time bow hunter.. Compound bow

I want a compound bow in the $300-400 price range, I want at least 300 fps and I want to have a maximum draw weight of 70 lbs. I've pretty much got my eyes on the Diamond Infinte edge, bear attitude/encounter, and the pse stinger 3. If you have experience with these bows please tell me your experiences. If there are pros and cons for these bows explain what they are. If you can recommend another, please do. Also which of these bows had the highest K.E. And fps.

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #2

Liked 4544 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

As a bow hunter.... I HIGHLY recommend you take your query to a local archery store...
Not a big box store....

They can answer all your questions and measurement issues...

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but it's probably the best answer you're going to get.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

wizard63 Likes This 
Old 11-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Post this on Archery Talk and you'll get way more answers than you can handle. The best info comes from a "real" archery shop and from experienced shooters.

First I question your requirements for 300 fps speed unless you are trying to kill very large animals. I've killed lots of deer with a 50# bow and most of the shots were complete pass throughs. Arrow speed does not overcome the need to judge distances and make adjustments to your sight picture. Making a good shot is what really counts. And having a bow that fits the shooter correctly and having good technique are way more important than the brand of bow. There are lots of good bows on the market these days and they all shoot better than the shooters.

Go to a pro shop.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:30 AM   #4

Liked 382 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 156

What they said, ^^^^^ plus a good archery shop will let you try them to see which feels best for you. I really liked a PSE and got to shoot it and went with a Hoyt because it was better feeling during and at full draw. Try them before you buy! Good luck

01100011011011110110110101100101001000000110000101 10111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110 01010010000001110100011010000110010101101101

Old 11-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up checking at a few bows and holding them, I really like the Pse and Bear. Now I just need to find a place where I can test them out.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:46 AM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Have fun with your bow shopping. Consider what service you will get from the retailer AFTER you buy the bow. Most shops offer initial set-up with purchase of a new bow. But if you need something adjusted later on will they do that? You will most likely need to have adjustments made after you have shot the new bow for a while. As you get stronger and perfect your form you will need to change the set-up too. The bow will perform like a machine. The shooter won't (at least not if you're human). Some shops offer lifetime service, but they usually charge MSRP up front. It isn't a bad deal if/when you need service later on.

Don't get hung up on IBO speed and KE ratings. Generally the fastest bows are the hardest to shoot well. The best shooting bows are the easiest to draw and the slowest. It is all about trade-offs. And like most other activities the best shooters shoot the faster bows better than most other shooters, but at tournaments the highest scores aren't put up by the fastest bows.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
Have fun with your bow shopping. Consider what service you will get from the retailer AFTER you buy the bow. Most shops offer initial set-up with purchase of a new bow. But if you need something adjusted later on will they do that? You will most likely need to have adjustments made after you have shot the new bow for a while. As you get stronger and perfect your form you will need to change the set-up too. The bow will perform like a machine. The shooter won't (at least not if you're human). Some shops offer lifetime service, but they usually charge MSRP up front. It isn't a bad deal if/when you need service later on.

Don't get hung up on IBO speed and KE ratings. Generally the fastest bows are the hardest to shoot well. The best shooting bows are the easiest to draw and the slowest. It is all about trade-offs. And like most other activities the best shooters shoot the faster bows better than most other shooters, but at tournaments the highest scores aren't put up by the fastest bows.

Thanks, I was more worried about the fps and KE then the quality of the bow and comfortablity.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #8

Liked 309 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Remember, the advertised FPS is for a 30" draw, 70# rig of light arrow (whatever the IBO spec is).

If you don't draw 30" (and or run a heavier hunting arrow) you may not hit 300 FPS.

FPS and KE..................there's also this thing called Momentum

I blow through deer with 480 gr arrows at under 200 FPS. My FOC is close to 20% and paper tune shows my arrows flying perfectly. Recurve.............blow through deer with big 3 blade heads............and some guys shooting modern gear, fast stuff..............with light arrows and mechanical heads.............don't blow through and or lose deer. It aint all about speed.

But that's something easy to measure and put in an advertisement or on a hang tag. It is of some valid measure, since it does compare setups across brands/models.

Doesn't matter the speed of cost, if it isn't tuned right or doesn't fit you. Deer don't care how much you spend

My decent spec Hoyt from 2005 shot a 430 gr arrow at 272 FPS and I thought that fast enough.
Blew through the deer with ease. Target and hunting bow combined, it was not cheap and was forgiving, considering the speed it had. It was also quiet, and adjusted to fit me perfectly (I prefer 35+ inch axle to axle for less acute string angle. I don't like leaning in to get my nose on the string, and using a string loop for bows of lesser axle to axle, changed my long established and super repeatable anchor point.

The PSE Stinger sells out every year at my local pro shop. It allows for wide adjustment in draw length without needing modules. It's fast enough and quiet enough................no wonder it's popular.

The grip on the PSE's I don't care for though. And I'm no fan of single cams or let off over 65% (since I like more back tension, grew up shooting less let off stuff- and I subscribe to the older P&Y rules).

A good shop should have a demo bow for you to try. With the stuff that adjusts without need of a bowpress..............shouldn't take but 5 minutes to get you fitted for testing.

Many of the new hot rod bows at 60 # draw so rough they hurt me. Yet I can draw higher # rigs of lesser letoff much easier, due to how I am built, how I have trained my muscles. There's a reason lighter # rigs get hot speeds............and it comes at a wicked draw force curve.

You don't need 70# these days. But if you want it, yeah...........hot rods are fun

Just remember nothing comes without a cost.

Speed means more wear and tear, stuff coming loose. Not uncommon for guys to shoot shoot shoot before hunting season....never have any issues........... and then have sights/quivers and or rests have problems............usually when they take the first shot on deer.

Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) was a bowhunter.

Last edited by Hookeye; 12-03-2014 at 06:46 AM.
racer_x Likes This