Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   first crossbow (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/first-crossbow-55848/)

MakarovJAC 01-19-2012 04:08 PM

first crossbow

hello, Im planning to buy a crossbow. That would be my first time with a shooting weapon so I wonder if you guys have some advice you woul d give to me. To start with, Im looking forward a small one. 40 dollars worth. Primarily for sport shooting. I have to check in the local shooting ranges, but I guess they dont allow tthese. Secondly, Ive been invited to hunt deers, so I might use it for it. I dont think it might work a small one.

orangello 01-19-2012 04:15 PM

I'm not really into the crossbows, but i know that some states treat them differently than regular bows for hunting regulations purposes. At one time, in MS, you had to show some kind of disability to use one on deer. My brother-in-law has one (eye problem) but the draw is crazy stiff.

I always thought one of the little pistol-type crossbows would be fun for yard target practice.

Josh1158 01-20-2012 09:39 PM

40 bucks ? I don't your gona find one worth owning for that. I have a friend that got a used one for 350 and I think it kicks butt. It's kinda hard to cock but it's all kinds of accurate. Last time I shot it I had to aim in a different spot every shot or you would stack your bolts up

Marlinman 01-20-2012 09:50 PM

Ya for $40 you arent gettin one worth the time or money

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

MakarovJAC 01-21-2012 12:38 AM

well, I tried to dig up some information on these. The dealer told me they were "generic". That told its clear I should be looking forward genuine stuff. However, I did like to get in touch with it before trying anything more elaborated, and thus, more expensive. Any advice about what to expect from a "ducky" brand crossbow would help. Although I guess it wont last very long.

Marlinman 01-21-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakarovJAC
well, I tried to dig up some information on these. The dealer told me they were "generic". That told its clear I should be looking forward genuine stuff. However, I did like to get in touch with it before trying anything more elaborated, and thus, more expensive. Any advice about what to expect from a "ducky" brand crossbow would help. Although I guess it wont last very long.

If we new wat brand your lookin at it would probably really help us

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

unclebear 01-21-2012 03:25 AM

if your going to try to bring down a deer your going to want to spend a lot more then $40, with that said there are plenty of capable crossbows out there and a few different set ups. Your going to want to look at the two main types of compound and recurve both are capable of taking deer, really it's a personal reference, which ever you choose you should get a draw assist it makes string tension the same on the entire bow string and can make it more accurate. Really you don't need anything too fancy if your doing target work or deer hunting, really it's all up to you...