fighting knife with file work. - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > fighting knife with file work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

I had no problem doing a custom job for you (plus, when you were wanting me to make the grips for the revolver, I loved the design. I'll have to find a gun to make them for now. ) but if you want be to surprise you, I can do that too. I'll make sure to make it a little thinner though. I do have one question though, what color do you like. (there are waaaay to may types of wood to just choose for you, the color will narrow it down some. a few colors I've seen in wood include purple, blue (but that is usually in a really soft wood), yellow, green, black, white, orange, pink, brown, and several mixtures of these. )

I'll figure out a design and surprise you (we'll talk price later). Do you want to see the design before I make the grips, or do you want to see it when it is finished?
Full artistic license. I want no pictures, no discussion, no ideas. YOU do it. I'll send you the plastic to use as a stencil, and I don't want to hear anything else about them until I open the box containing them when they reach me. I will send you a picture (good one) of my gun. It is a standard mil spec springfield though, parkerized, you will probably find better pics than I can take on google. I'm not even going to tell you my favorite color.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #122
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6578 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81 View Post
Yeah custom orders are gonna get tough what I'm wanting to do make some designs I like and just post the finished knifes and some custom blanks for u guys to buy or at least admire. I think that way I can get more blades made and the get better at this then do a custom build from time to time. I have some new handle materials im thinking will help me move some knifes too

play the victim, be the victim
I have a good friend, who is an old cowboy, and he had met a lot of the big time custom knife makers. He learned a few things from them that might help you. He said that there are two things you need to know about knifemaking.

1. Get your name known to the public (at least the knife community). Your name is a big thing in this craft. Go to knife shows, get collectors interested, try to get a few of your knives in blade magazine (or some other knife/gun/hunting magazine). (this is mostly for if you want to make a small business out of it, or just get really well know. if you just want to sell here on ftf and to friends and family, this is not that important.)

2. The handle can really help the knife sell. It can be important to the look of the knife.
For the handle material, there are a few abnormalities in the wood that really make it beautiful. Look for burls, curls, spalting, or birdeye. Some of these may be a little tricky to work with (and can get pricy depending on what you use), but they are beautiful. Many different types of wood can do one of these, or even do several of them.

Hope this helps.

This is Amboyna Burl

This is Curly Maple

This is Birdseye Maple

This is Spalted Hackberry.

The Amboyna Burl is really expensive (but there are burls that are a lot cheaper), and the rest of them are somewhat cheap (closer to moderately priced). I few other woods you may want to look into are purpleheart, bocote, cocobolo, several of the different types of rosewood, blackwood, buckeye burl, claro walnut, and bodark (osage orange) just to name a few.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 02-16-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Full artistic license. I want no pictures, no discussion, no ideas. YOU do it. I'll send you the plastic to use as a stencil, and I don't want to hear anything else about them until I open the box containing them when they reach me. I will send you a picture (good one) of my gun. It is a standard mil spec springfield though, parkerized, you will probably find better pics than I can take on google. I'm not even going to tell you my favorite color.
LOL, can you at least tell me if if you want checkering or not (that will determine the wood I use, and possibley the design of the checkering.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #124

I would like checkering as I don't have a very strong grip (broken too many bones in my hands) but checkering I think hides some of the beauty of some woods, so knowing that, you make the call.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I would like checkering as I don't have a very strong grip (broken too many bones in my hands) but checkering I think hides some of the beauty of some woods, so knowing that, you make the call.
I have a good idea of what to do then.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #126

Liked 414 Times on 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

I have a good friend, who is an old cowboy, and he had met a lot of the big time custom knife makers. He learned a few things from them that might help you. He said that there are two things you need to know about knifemaking.

1. Get your name known to the public (at least the knife community). Your name is a big thing in this craft. Go to knife shows, get collectors interested, try to get a few of your knives in blade magazine (or some other knife/gun/hunting magazine). (this is mostly for if you want to make a small business out of it, or just get really well know. if you just want to sell here on ftf and to friends and family, this is not that important.)

2. The handle can really help the knife sell. It can be important to the look of the knife.
For the handle material, there are a few abnormalities in the wood that really make it beautiful. Look for burls, curls, spalting, or birdeye. Some of these may be a little tricky to work with (and can get pricy depending on what you use), but they are beautiful. Many different types of wood can do one of these, or even do several of them.

Hope this helps.

This is Amboyna Burl

This is Curly Maple

This is Birdseye Maple

This is Spalted Hackberry.

The Amboyna Burl is really expensive (but there are burls that are a lot cheaper), and the rest of them are somewhat cheap (closer to moderately priced). I few other woods you may want to look into are purpleheart, bocote, cocobolo, several of the different types of rosewood, blackwood, buckeye burl, claro walnut, and bodark (osage orange) just to name a few.
Thank you for the advice im headed to my first knife show this weekend if I dont have to work both days. I hope to get some hilt guards and a few hand tools an ideas. Also I can't wait to meet some great crafts men.
I just got some nice wood from a friend that has a large high end custom cabinet shop. one knife a year for all the scrap I can fit in my truck

image-3880101240.jpg

1/8th of what he gave me today

image-1117449317.jpg

image-3369129027.jpg

Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81 View Post
Thank you for the advice im headed to my first knife show this weekend if I dont have to work both days. I hope to get some hilt guards and a few hand tools an ideas. Also I can't wait to meet some great crafts men.
I just got some nice wood from a friend that has a large high end custom cabinet shop. one knife a year for all the scrap I can fit in my truck

Attachment 39404

1/8th of what he gave me today

Attachment 39405

Attachment 39406

Very nice score, sounds like a great deal to me. How thick is it?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #128

Tex, i just sent u a text on your blank.
All thicknesses and I can go back each week to get more he's setting stuff to the side for me to pick through.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #129

Tex, I hope this blank serves u well. Please finish it and post a pic of the work u do on it, on this thread. Can't wait to see the handle u come up with! It's been a pleasure making this for u.
Thank you,
Griffin.

image-1931721148.jpg

image-4124589148.jpg

image-1978084677.jpg

image-1303963927.jpg

Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #130

I can see the reflection of your freaking finger prints! And I'm using the phone app! Nice freaking polish job!