fighting knife with file work. - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > fighting knife with file work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Gonna be very busy indeed...

Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #112
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81 View Post
Ok, Texaswoodworker here's the blank I did tonight for u! Please let me know if this is what u had in mind. If its not I can make changes or start a new blank for u. Please feel free to pm me with any changes wanted. I have not buffed this blank that will be done tomorrow if no changes are needed to be made.
Thanks,
Griffin
Attachment 39381
blank and practice peace for u to file on.

Attachment 39382
Other side

Attachment 39383
Back bone ready for a file if u choose to do so.

Attachment 39384
Blade and my dirty hands, thank goodness for fast orange hand cleaner!

play the victim, be the victim
It looks great!!! I love it. I can't wait to get started on it now. I've been testing out my fileing on a few random thing (wood, small pieces of metal, ect) and it's hard to get them started without getting off my mark, but after I have a groove cut into it, it gets much easier to control.

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #113

Liked 414 Times on 228 Posts

A sharp triangle file to start with helps a lot to score starting points. Also push don't pull when starting a file mark it starts better, less slipping.
I'm also gonna send it the peace of blade in the picture to practice on before you try the blade. If u want pm me a cell # ad I'll send u some close up pics tonight after I polish it.

Last edited by griffin81; 02-16-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #114

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try and see how it works. I'm also going to get a set of small files later. The only round one I have is really course and really hard to use.

One last question, will I need to temper (I think that is the right term) the blade after I do the filework?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #115

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try and see how it works. I'm also going to get a set of small files later. The only round one I have is really course and really hard to use.

One last question, will I need to temper (I think that is the right term) the blade after I do the filework?
No you wont aaron. Its already been tempered and annealed.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I feel a prophesy coming on...

Griffin is about to wind up busy as hell.
I see that happening too.

Just remember Griffin, making these to sell can suck some of the fun out of doing it. (I'm a woodworker, so this has happened to me) A few custom orders here and there are usually fine, but when it is always a custom order, and never something you did just because you wanted too, that is when it stops being a hobby, and starts being a job. (for some people, this may not always be the case) Just remember to have fun.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
No you wont aaron. Its already been tempered and annealed.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
sweet...

Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #118

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I see that happening too.

Just remember Griffin, making these to sell can suck some of the fun out of doing it. (I'm a woodworker, so this has happened to me) A few custom orders here and there are usually fine, but when it is always a custom order, and never something you did just because you wanted too, that is when it stops being a hobby, and starts being a job. (for some people, this may not always be the case) Just remember to have fun.
That's going to change. I'll be sending you my extra cheapo plastic grips that came with my 1911 for you to use as a stencil, along with a note saying "Surprise me". You do whatever the hell you want, I want to see your hand in it. PM me with a price point, or text, email, whatever. The only thing I'll say about it, is a grip just slightly thinner I may find slightly more comfy. But the stock thickness is just fine, although, not very easy for my girly hands to reach the mag eject button.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
That's going to change. I'll be sending you my extra cheapo plastic grips that came with my 1911 for you to use as a stencil, along with a note saying "Surprise me". You do whatever the hell you want, I want to see your hand in it. PM me with a price point, or text, email, whatever. The only thing I'll say about it, is a grip just slightly thinner I may find slightly more comfy. But the stock thickness is just fine, although, not very easy for my girly hands to reach the mag eject button.
I had no problem doing a custom job for you (plus, when you were wanting me to make the grips for the revolver, I loved the design. I'll have to find a gun to make them for now. ) but if you want be to surprise you, I can do that too. I'll make sure to make it a little thinner though. I do have one question though, what color do you like. (there are waaaay to may types of wood to just choose for you, the color will narrow it down some. a few colors I've seen in wood include purple, blue (but that is usually in a really soft wood), yellow, green, black, white, orange, pink, brown, and several mixtures of these. )

I'll figure out a design and surprise you (we'll talk price later). Do you want to see the design before I make the grips, or do you want to see it when it is finished?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #120

Liked 414 Times on 228 Posts

Yeah custom orders are gonna get tough what I'm wanting to do make some designs I like and just post the finished knifes and some custom blanks for u guys to buy or at least admire. I think that way I can get more blades made and the get better at this then do a custom build from time to time. I have some new handle materials im thinking will help me move some knifes too