A few Military Blades - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > A few Military Blades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Well Rock,looks like you just might be digging out your knives sooner than ya thought. We all need a pics fix. We know your holding!

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
Well Rock,looks like you just might be digging out your knives sooner than ya thought. We all need a pics fix. We know your holding!
OK, I'll get on it tonight. But it will need to be a "work in progress".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #13

Here are a few that I had inside the house in an old wooden chest (don't ask).

The top pic has two of the most sentimental blades that I own. First is an aqv44 (Berg & Co) Mauser K98k bayonet that my stepfather brought home from WW2. Second is a Swedish Hunting knife that he bought the day he was discharged. I'll have to check the name on it. He made the sheath about 14 years ago when the orig finally wore out. It has cleaned untold numbers of deer, hogs and other game.

Second pic has three examples of one of my favorite military blades. These are Argentinian 1909 Short Swords. The top one is well used and razor sharp. The middle one is pristine and still has the original chrome plating, as well as the most beautiful tiger eye in the wood. The bottom one is in great shape but has been buffed, though never sharpened. These used to be found for about $50, but are bringing about 3-4 times that for a good one now. These were made in Germany and in Argentina. These three are German, but I have one or two Arg and they are the same quality.

This pic is just a closeup of the handles of the three Arg 1909 Short Swords.

The last pic has more of my favorites on the left end. German "Butcher Bayonets" which are similar in blade style to the Arg Short Swords. On the left is a battlefield relic from the Battle of the Somme. Next is one with the early leather scabbard. It is in bad shape, but the scabbard is quite good, and rare. I have one of these that is as close to "mint" as probably exists in the world, and another that is museum quality. I have several more that I'll dig out for future pics.

The next one escapes me at this time. Hmm... Haha. But it is in great shape!

Next is a French Gras bayonet, one of the most elegant and beautiful of the old sword bayonets. Brass pommel. They polish up beautifully and I have a few of them.

Next are the three Arg 1909s with scabbards and two types of frogs (pictured above).

On the end is a Philippine bolo made from a leaf spring and the handle is water buffalo horn, called "Caribao" in the PI. Heavy as hell and sharp as chit.

On top is a Swiss PE57 bayo that I got in a trade. Cheap, but interesting. My daughter just told me she wants it. Ha.

More to follow, but these were handy.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Dang you Rock! I've got drool all over my keyboard.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-01-2011, 03:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Dang you Rock! I've got drool all over my keyboard.
If you could heft one of the 1909 Short Swords you'd have a smile on your face. I'll dig out some other cool old bayos and knives in the next couple of days.

I'll try to find some of my Ka-Bars, Mk1's and Mk2's, too. Don't think they are mixed in with the others. The history in those old war horses is palpable can be felt through the handle.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I covet those short swords. Particularly the one in the middle, I like it's shape the best.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #17

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Second is a Swedish Hunting knife that he bought the day he was discharged. I'll have to check the name on it. He made the sheath about 14 years ago when the orig finally wore out. It has cleaned untold numbers of deer, hogs and other game.
Now that is a beautiful knife!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I covet those short swords. Particularly the one in the middle, I like it's shape the best.
The one with the thin blade? That is a Gras bayo and they can be found for very reasonable prices. $50 in poor shape to $200 for a great one.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 02-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Now that is a beautiful knife!

Too much emotional value to use anymore, but I found some by the same maker on ebarf and scarfed them up. They are great knives made from 01 tool steel, the same steel used by Randall.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 02-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

ooooooooh, daddy likey!

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7