Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Favorite EDC steel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/favorite-edc-steel-95461/)

JMAtactical 08-15-2013 05:25 AM

Favorite EDC steel
 
Now now before y'all roll your eyes and say wow man haven't we all seem this same kind of thread before let me out a spin on it... I don't want to know what steel you think is better because of its this and that level or percentage. I want to know I you had to choose one knife to use for everything ( prying, cutting, screwdriver, fire starter, SD or whatever what is the steel you trust to not let you down. Ill tell you straight up mine has to be 8cr13mov from spyderco

txpossum 08-15-2013 12:46 PM

First choice would be 52-100; second choice D2; third choice 440C.

Werminator 08-18-2013 04:10 AM

14c28n as executed by Kershaw if cheap steels are the game... most of the knives in own are in the 8cr13mov or variations of AUS8 but the 14c28n has given me way better performance than any of the others... now higher end I like CPM S30V but its pricey enough I don't own anything with that blade steel...

Fathead00 08-18-2013 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey knife experts!! I'm looking at this knife as my EDC. It's just going to be a normal carry nothing special. My current knife is falling apart.:(


Attachment 114588

JMAtactical 08-18-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathead00
Hey knife experts!! I'm looking at this knife as my EDC. It's just going to be a normal carry nothing special. My current knife is falling apart.:(

I don't know all the specs on this knife but ill tell you what I look for in an EDC blade. I like tip up carry, G10 scales with strong liner steel. I like lock back or liner lock but prefer liner and the steel must be tough. I dislike the harder steels as I use my knife for almost everything. 8cr13mov or AUS 8 is where I like to stay and I don't care what any of the steel snobs say lol. Make sure it's stainless steel and its easy to take apart as you will want to clean it once a month at least.

Fathead00 08-18-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMAtactical

I don't know all the specs on this knife but ill tell you what I look for in an EDC blade. I like tip up carry, G10 scales with strong liner steel. I like lock back or liner lock but prefer liner and the steel must be tough. I dislike the harder steels as I use my knife for almost everything. 8cr13mov or AUS 8 is where I like to stay and I don't care what any of the steel snobs say lol. Make sure it's stainless steel and its easy to take apart as you will want to clean it once a month at least.

I don't know why the pic is blurry!!! The handle is Noryl GTX, blade steel is 440C, tip up carry, stainless steel liners, and ambi AXIS locking system.

SSGSF 08-18-2013 09:43 PM

I carry 154cm it's a benchmade auto.
I do not use any knife as a screwdriver or a prybar. I use the proper tool for the proper job. I use it for cutting and that's it.

SSGSF 08-18-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathead00
Hey knife experts!! I'm looking at this knife as my EDC. It's just going to be a normal carry nothing special. My current knife is falling apart.:(

Yes that would be a fine knife for you to edc.

JMAtactical 08-19-2013 03:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathead00

I don't know why the pic is blurry!!! The handle is Noryl GTX, blade steel is 440C, tip up carry, stainless steel liners, and ambi AXIS locking system.

That's a good EDC steel. And I always think to myself " what if I get into a situation where I need to pry and this knife is all I got. Or I simply want don't have any other tools on hand for a high priority task like for instance auto repair on the go I want to make sure my knife can handle light miss use. I think IMO that not having the strongest and most well made knife you can afford on you is an error. But I am an A hole as some other members would agree lol. Anyway that's a fine knife and a good price. Here's a picture of my baby I EDC

Attachment 114635

SSGSF 08-19-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMAtactical

That's a good EDC steel. And I always think to myself " what if I get into a situation where I need to pry and this knife is all I got. Or I simply want don't have any other tools on hand for a high priority task like for instance auto repair on the go I want to make sure my knife can handle light miss use. I think IMO that not having the strongest and most well made knife you can afford on you is an error. But I am an A hole as some other members would agree lol. Anyway that's a fine knife and a good price. Here's a picture of my baby I EDC

What kind of auto repair do you do with your knives?


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.