Do you cheap out on knives? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Do you cheap out on knives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #51
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1961 Times on 1209 Posts
Likes Given: 11152

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I'm bored, and haven't seen a thread that approaches name calling on here for a while. Lets see if I can get a discussion up here.

How many of y'all cheap out on knives? Buy the internet of WalMart specials. Don't know, or care, what steel you knife made of, and, hey, if it ever gets dull, just go down and buy $10.

Now, by "cheap out", I'm talking about those who don't, or won't spend more than $50.00 for a knife. And don't care whether or not it will shave your arm hair.

I think a lot of reason that people will accept inferior knives is that they have never used a quality blade.
Depends on what i will be using it for. EDC and hunting, I don't go cheap, but I won't pay more for a "premium" or celebrity brand name. If it is to be a "keep in the tool box or glove box" blade, i will get a couple cheapies for the simple reason of: if it gets broken or lost, it really won't matter. I still have the good one on me.

i am a firm believer in the old saying "You get what you pay for.", but I pretty much refuse to buy a knife that is cheaper than my cheapest gun. I also do not see the point in spending $700 on a knife either.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #52

Liked 348 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I go inexpensive as I use them for backpacking.

I use this 5" K-Bar model mostly in the backpack and they last for 3 to 4 years before they're beat to death and I buy a new one. Usually pay around $50.00 or a tad less for these.

backpack-knife-002.jpg

I also keep one of these in the backpack. Much less energy/calories expended then having to cut bigger than twig size wood stuffs from brush and trees when out in the middle of nowhere.

005.jpg

008.jpg

Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I've got several in the $50-60 range, but my daily carry knives are more expensive. First one is a Benchmade. Second is a ceramic blade with carbon fiber handle scales.

image-4173183178.jpgimage-476471558.jpgimage-779873940.jpgimage-199366463.jpg

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #54

Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Protech T-9 fish scale handle version. Not cheap but is one of the fastest assisted knives out there.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 161 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 211

As part of my ongoing up at 4AM with new baby random Amazon shopping, I've started looking at knives. I'm firmly in the "cheap" category, but thinking about branching out. Not sure why it's taken me this long, as I've been on a high end kitchen knife kick for the last decade. For some reason I have a much easier time justifying $100+ kitchen knives than I do crossing out of the $20 zone for everyday use knives. So how much more knife are you really getting for the money? Is a $90 Spyderco twice as good as a $40 Kershaw? Is a $180 Benchmade better than that same $90 Spyderco? Does it even matter?

In the handgun world I have a pretty good idea what I'm paying for the weapon and what I'm paying on top of that for the name. I'm out of my comfort zone here though.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #56

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have yet to spend more than $75 on a single blade.

Sure, it would be nice to own a Boker or Benchmade folder or a Tops or ESEE fixed blade, but my Buck, Kershaw, Ontario, Mora, Ka-Bar, and Cold Steel blades serve me quite well for the price.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #57
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22107 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

for my everday work or utility purpose knives, yes i cheap out!

i have found the brand Appalachian Trail knives at Lowes to work just great for my purposes. they usually are not priced over $15, they so far have held up to all that i have put them through, just as well as some of the more expensive knives i have carried in the past.

if i break one or lose it, i am out $15 at the most. so far, both have done very well for an inexpensive knife, needing to only be sharpened from time to time.

as a side note, i am not gently with my knives used for work and will abuse them horridly during my day.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #58

Liked 2409 Times on 1502 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Work knives I do. I loose them, break blades etc. i have some well over $100 range and some under $30.

Today's carry.

Boker Damascus.

image-938542153.jpg  

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #59

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat
Is a $90 Spyderco twice as good as a $40 Kershaw?
I would say definitely. Not to knock Kershaw, they make some very nice knives but I think Spyderco is that much better in quality and materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat
Is a $180 Benchmade better than that same $90 Spyderco?
Personally, I think there is a definite difference but its a personal choice if the difference is worth the cost and there's a lot of overlap between the two brands. There are Spydercos that cost over $200 and Benchmades that can be had for less than $100 so it also depends in the specific models you are looking at.

Its probably true that with Spyderco or Benchmade something of what you are paying for is the name but in these cases the name means something. It means the knife is going to be high quality in construction and materials and will often incorporate unique or advanced design elements you will simply not find on a $19.95 MSRP Chinese import.

Last edited by mdauben; 09-03-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 AM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 161 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Thank you kindly for the info! I picked up a Kershaw Leek, couldn't quite bring myself to cross the $50 point yet. Baby steps. While it hasn't changed my life as of yet, it sure is fun to play with!