Do you cheap out on knives? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Do you cheap out on knives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #41
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3191 Times on 2171 Posts
Likes Given: 696

You Know I like to Buy what I like and like what I Buy. Of course there are the normal restrictions to this,..but I have knives across the cost range. The Kershaw 1970 is my current Pocket carry, MSRP right at $50. I have a few SOG Knifes,..The Seal Pup is in One kit bag and the full size sits in the "Oh crap" bag...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #42

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Glock knives. I have at least two in my backpacks. Cheap, light and who cares if they break. Just like all their products.
Careful with that, it might stab you n the leg with out notice

Old 08-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Careful with that, it might stab you n the leg with out notice
Ha! Thanks for the laugh.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #44

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Now, I am not saying that inexpensive knives . . . notice I did not say "cheap" knives . . . don't have a place. You don't have to spend $100 to have a good knife. I have a Byrd (sub line of Sypderco, made in China but high quality) that, for $20.00 is a heck of a knife. The "red box" Benchmades (now no longer made, I found out) had some good knives for under $30.00. Mora, of course, makes a heck of an brushcraft knife for about $25.00.

And there are an awful lot of overpriced knives out there. But it's hard to beat the feel of a quality knife, with premium materials and careful workman ship. Once you own one, It's hard to go back to the "bargain" brands. Sorta like the difference between a Smith and Wesson and a Hi Point.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
Now, I am not saying that inexpensive knives . . . notice I did not say "cheap" knives . . . don't have a place. You don't have to spend $100 to have a good knife. I have a Byrd (sub line of Sypderco, made in China but high quality) that, for $20.00 is a heck of a knife. The "red box" Benchmades (now no longer made, I found out) had some good knives for under $30.00. Mora, of course, makes a heck of an brushcraft knife for about $25.00.

And there are an awful lot of overpriced knives out there. But it's hard to beat the feel of a quality knife, with premium materials and careful workman ship. Once you own one, It's hard to go back to the "bargain" brands. Sorta like the difference between a Smith and Wesson and a Hi Point.
You have fair points. Maybe someday I'll buy a nice knife. But honestly, I'll be afraid of using it as I would use any other knife - a work knife.

Do you use your expensive knives as work knives? I would afraid of them becoming "safe queens," so to speak.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #46

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

I use my Zero tolerance everyday for work.

I really want a Benchmade 530 pardue for EDC when I don't need a big pry bar with an edge in my pocket.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #47

Liked 2514 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

I've probably spent in sales tax what the average guy has spent on knives.

I rotate 5 brand name multitools, and 3 SAKs for EDC.

But I buy a lot of cheap crap to take the hits for the good blades.

Snapping a 7-to-15$ cheapo to save a Leatherman Surge,Victorinox,

or Gerber multi-tool is just good sense.

Same for the fixed blades. If I'm traveling light, I bring one good

blade. But I'm not going to ruin a good blade on grunt work

needlessly. A small investment in crappy knives saves the good

ones for when they're really needed.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #48
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1776 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 5364

I picked up quite a few Old Timer and Uncle Henry before they started putting the Chinese ones in the stores.

I like them, Made in USA... they were affordable. Alas, can't find many USA ones anymore.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #49

I carry a good knife everyday. This week I've been having to wear suits, so the Benchmade mini-griptilian was clipped to my waistband. Today I'm back in jeans, so the 1970's vintage Gerber folding Sportsman will be in my pocket, or mebbe the Benchmade Outbounder fixed blade will be fixed to my belt. These knives will be used for whatever comes up.

Now, I admit I do have some knives . . . well, a bunch of knives . . . I don't put to hard use. A few are safe queens, but mostly it's because I haven't had to use them . . . yet. I have a couple more mini-grips in reserve; likewise three or four old Gerbers I got good deals on and are potential replacements for my daily carry; several Bark Rivers haven't been used, but my first run Northstar gets a good workout. I guess the answer is, I have nice knives I use, and nice knives I don't use.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #50

I also have cheap knives. I have a relative who shops at flea markets a lot, and everytime he comes to visit he brings me a bag of inexpensive finds, because he knows I collect knives. I appreciate the gesture, and keep several around to open boxes, bags of dog food, etc. I also have an old CRKT Prowler, with a blade of AUS 6, to do the rough chores outside. The AUS 6 a softer steel than I like, but does fine for digging in the dirt, and is easy to resharpen. I keep SAKS in all the vehicles -- I 'm not a big fan of SAKS, but they can come in hand y.