Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Do you cheap out on knives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Has anyone tried the ceramic blade knives, and what is your opinion on them.

Jim

Quote:
ceramic blade is stronger, sharper and more durable than steel blades
Is this marketing hype???

Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #22

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The knives I use on a daily basis are pretty cheap. I have a few Smith and Wesson knives, I think they are just 440 stainless. They sharpen pretty easy and I've yet to break one. Between those and a couple case knives I might have in a pocket that's what I use. I have other knives that I have put back but I don't plan to use them. I got real tired of spending a hundred bucks or more for a knife and break the blade because I did some kind of think that I shouldn't but that's what I do with a knife. Opening a paint can, wire stripper, screwdriver God knows what I'll pull out a knife and use it.

So pretty much if it will hold an edge OK and sharpen pretty quick and doesn't cost a lot I'll use it. I have had pretty good luck wit hthe S&W knives. I've got one that was made around 2000.Not bad for an abused 25 dollar knife.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #23

Liked 194 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 37

My knives are all cheapies bought at retail stores, flea markets, etc. I always felt it only need to be good enough to slice a tomato, cut some clothes lines, a box open or whittle down a stick for a hot dog roast. I carry everyday on my belt so it is an important tool. I used to watch some guy on tv slice thru vines, heavy rope, etc with one short quick slice of his knife and go "pfffftt, get real". I know now that there is a huge difference, I'm just not ready to start investing in high quality/high cost knives. I still would rather buy 10 pair of sunglasses for $10 a piece and lose four within a week, than to buy one pair for $100.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 874 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Ceramic knives are the best knives in the world, and junk, all at the same time.

Very sharp. Great kitchen knives. They are hardened glass. They do chip, they can even explode like a correl plate. Glass chip in your food, or eye would be bad. Knowing to be careful, our favorite kitchen knives.

They make pocket ceramic knives, but I would not like that. I pry in stuff, use. Knife like a fingernail. I would have it broken first day.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #25

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl
I have a few nice knives (over $50)LOL....But they just sit in the safe, never used. My Cold Steel Hunter stays in the door pocket of my truck. I really dont have much day to day use for a knife...I use a box cutter quite a bit at the shop. What i would really like to have is a nice set of kitchen knives. All i have now is a mish-mosh of junk wallyworld, etc. Any suggestions....? A set for under $300...?
Cutco makes nice stuff and they'll send a sales rep all the way out to you. Let you test knives before you buy. Broad price ranges. Free sharpening for life. Worth a look

http://www.cutco.com/products/thumbnail.jsp?category=10

Old 08-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #26

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I keep a Remington knife on me everyday. Paid 30$ for it. If it won't shave arm hair it hits the sharpening stones. You can always tell when I sharpened my knife by the bare patch on my left arm lol

Old 08-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #27

Liked 734 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
I have a few nice knives (over $50)LOL....But they just sit in the safe, never used. My Cold Steel Hunter stays in the door pocket of my truck. I really dont have much day to day use for a knife...I use a box cutter quite a bit at the shop. What i would really like to have is a nice set of kitchen knives. All i have now is a mish-mosh of junk wallyworld, etc. Any suggestions....? A set for under $300...?
What are you going to use kitchen knives for....just wondering.... And dont try to use the stove when i'm not there...............

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #28

Liked 734 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

And...we do have some nice kitchen knives....I keep them in a safe place...so you don't drag them off to chop tree branches, or open feed bags, or get them melted on the starter of the tractor (still dont get that one).

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #29

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Love my ZT 0200, it's my EDC work knife and has seen some S***!

Big,stout,and half a pound,but it has yet to fail me. Every 3 or 4 months I'll sharpen it and when I wipe the oil off it looks brand new again,don't know what they coat their blades with but that stuff is hard.

Paid 120$ for it,still tight like the day I bought it.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #30

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

No doubt ZT makes a solid knife and uses good materials... I just don't like the weight and size in my pocket when I can help it. 30 bucks can get you into some great value folders like the Rat 1 from Ontario or a number of Kershaw blades... I used to believe Kershaw knives were all junk but now that I own and use several very regularly my tune has changed a great deal... also love my Cold Steel Voyager in AUS 8A. For the price it has been a great buy...