Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Do you cheap out on knives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #11
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1314 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I'm a believer in you get what you pay for, as long as its not just name recognition. Cold Steel were what I started with for daily work, but I have found good Schrade, Böker and MicroTech blades that are strong, sharp and do what is asked of them. It is helpful to understand knife steel types and what each is good for to buy what you need. You can find a simplified primer here.

My wife never believed in spending money on a knife, then she used one supplied by a friend. She was amazed at how sharp and how well she could control and use it. She's been sold on buying quality ever since.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 08-12-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #12

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

I have a few nice knives (over $50)LOL....But they just sit in the safe, never used. My Cold Steel Hunter stays in the door pocket of my truck. I really dont have much day to day use for a knife...I use a box cutter quite a bit at the shop. What i would really like to have is a nice set of kitchen knives. All i have now is a mish-mosh of junk wallyworld, etc. Any suggestions....? A set for under $300...?

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 08-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #13

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Anybody try the ceramic kitchen knives..? What did you think..? How do you sharpen them..?

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 08-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Yes, I cheap out on knives. My knives are never worn out from being sharpened to many times. Most of the time my knives are broken by using them for a pry bar or a chisel. I buy $11 cold steel knives or a $30 schrade. To me a knife is a tool that will be sacrificed to finish a job or get a days work started. I have a Schrade sharpfinger I keep in good condition for skinning. I also have a couple filet knives that were inexpensive I use for cleaning fish and deboning large game. I do have a couple old hickory knives for general kitchen work.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #15

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I only buy cheap knives. Don't need them for self defense so one that will cut a box open works just fine. The most expensive knife I have is a Swiss Army knife the wife bought me many years ago. All my pocket and "Rambo" knives are cheapos. I respect a quality knife like I respect a Ferrari. Just can't afford either.l

Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
I have a few nice knives (over $50)LOL....But they just sit in the safe, never used. My Cold Steel Hunter stays in the door pocket of my truck. I really dont have much day to day use for a knife...I use a box cutter quite a bit at the shop. What i would really like to have is a nice set of kitchen knives. All i have now is a mish-mosh of junk wallyworld, etc. Any suggestions....? A set for under $300...?
Look into a starter set from J.A. Henckels with the wood block that includes a sharpening steel - and learn to use it! I have had mine for 25 years and it has served daily in my kitchen. For the price point you mention, this should fit nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
Anybody try the ceramic kitchen knives..? What did you think..? How do you sharpen them..?
They are fantastic knives! You never sharpen them. The only thing that can happen is that the blade chips, in which case it is ruined. However, this only happens if you try to cut bone or chop on a hard surface with it. Use a cutting mat or block and they go through everything quite efficiently.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #17

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Why does everybody think that Cold Steel knives are so great. Got, have they got a propaganda department.

I used to have about 20 Cold Steel knives. This was about 15 years ago, back when they were made from their Carbon V steel, which had a performance similar to O-1, not the current AUS 8 they use for most of their knives. I had the Trailmaster, the SRK (which I still keep in one of my "get home bags", the Recon Tanto, the Mini Tanto, the Hai Hancho (the original, with the deep cut serrations), two Outdoorsman, two mini Outdoorsman; California Drop Point; two of their double edged push daggers, which I think were called the Defenders, and several of their San Mai folding knives in various sizes and shapes. The old knives were better than what they have out today. And you know what? They are medicore. At best, they are middle of the road. Sure, you can buy worse, but to listen to their hype you would think they were the greatest blades since Excaliber, when they are just decent knives. Really. They just piss the hell out of me. How many people here have tried the old Effingham Blackjacks, Bark River, Fallniven, Chris Reeve; Zero Tolerance -- to name a few. Not to mention Benchmade and Spyderco.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I'm gonna be honest I don't know the first thing about knife steel. My current knife is a ridiculously low quality thing that would prolly make you cry, Possum. I paid $11 at a gun show for it. I believe it says "WarTech" on the blade, right above "Made in China." The guy was asking $12 for it. I guess I got about a 9% discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
And don't care whether or not it will shave your arm hair.
I can think of precisely no reason why I would care if a knife can shave my arm hair. A knife is a knife, even in self defense, if you stab a man with a knife with a broken tip it'll still cause a world of pain.

Some knives are works of art, and I respect them for their beauty. I would never use them for a practical purpose. Just like I would never own one unless its a gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
I think a lot of reason that people will accept inferior knives is that they have never used a quality blade.
Maybe. So I'm not a hunter, not a fisher, don't carry a knife for self defense, am no champion knife thrower, and don't put swords down my throat in my spare time. Can you please explain to me why me using a quality blade would make me want to shell out the money for one? What application do I have in my life that an $11 knife simply isn't good enough?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking quality knives. I want you to sell me on it right now. Convince me.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #19
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 908 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I buy higher dollar knives, because I like quality. First thing I do with a new knife is try to cut a piece of steel with it. I have no use for a knife that is razor sharp, in my hands or, in my pockets. Not a big fan of injury or healing wounds. A semi sharp knife, is most always sharp enough.

I prefer spring assist knives. I keep a sog multi tool with two spring assist blades in one pocket, and a custom Kershaw spring assist with two blades, I made from two knives. One blade I keep in pretty good condition, while the other one is my abuse blade. A single Kershaw can be had at Wal-Mart for about sixty dollars. Have four of them I rotate through different pants pockets. Fun having a knife, no one else has. Sog is from Amazon, about the same price.

forumrunner_20130812_030347.jpg

Last edited by AR10; 08-12-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Why does everybody think that Cold Steel knives are so great. Got, have they got a propaganda department.

I used to have about 20 Cold Steel knives. This was about 15 years ago, back when they were made from their Carbon V steel, which had a performance similar to O-1, not the current AUS 8 they use for most of their knives. I had the Trailmaster, the SRK (which I still keep in one of my "get home bags", the Recon Tanto, the Mini Tanto, the Hai Hancho (the original, with the deep cut serrations), two Outdoorsman, two mini Outdoorsman; California Drop Point; two of their double edged push daggers, which I think were called the Defenders, and several of their San Mai folding knives in various sizes and shapes. The old knives were better than what they have out today. And you know what? They are medicore. At best, they are middle of the road. Sure, you can buy worse, but to listen to their hype you would think they were the greatest blades since Excaliber, when they are just decent knives. Really. They just piss the hell out of me. How many people here have tried the old Effingham Blackjacks, Bark River, Fallniven, Chris Reeve; Zero Tolerance -- to name a few. Not to mention Benchmade and Spyderco.
TX, you'll note in my post I said "started out with" Cold Steel. That was back in 1980 when the company was founded, and they were very good. I make no statement of their quality now as I have none of the current models. I have been told their quality is only median at this point, but have no first-hand knowledge, so I hope you weren't referring to me when you said, "greatest thing since Excalibur." Several knife dealers have tried to buy the Cold Steel knives I still own, but I have not been tempted to sell them. I believe there are many custom knife makers and manufacturers now that make a higher quality product than Cold Steel.