Do you cheap out on knives?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Do you cheap out on knives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Do you cheap out on knives?

I'm bored, and haven't seen a thread that approaches name calling on here for a while. Lets see if I can get a discussion up here.

How many of y'all cheap out on knives? Buy the internet of WalMart specials. Don't know, or care, what steel you knife made of, and, hey, if it ever gets dull, just go down and buy $10.

Now, by "cheap out", I'm talking about those who don't, or won't spend more than $50.00 for a knife. And don't care whether or not it will shave your arm hair.

I think a lot of reason that people will accept inferior knives is that they have never used a quality blade.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2013, 03:12 AM   #2

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have a Klein hawk bill, bout $30 when bought it several years ago.. Does anything I ask of it..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #3

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
I have a Klein hawk bill, bout $30 when bought it several years ago.. Does anything I ask of it..
What do you ask it to do?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Oh Im game! Indeed I bought a coldsteel 'leatherneck sf' off of wally.com, for, you guest it! 50.00$ lol

I research all I can about the knife i wish to get. Hate buying without seeing and holding one first. Truth is ive never spent more then 120$ for a knife. Id pay more if I found the right one.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

The BEST cheap fixed blade knives that I like, are the "Mora" blades, high carbon steel, with the "Scandi-grind" easy to sharpen to a scary wicked edge, cheap enough and rugged enough to abuse and replace if needed.

Cheap enough to buy several and stash them away in tool boxes, bug bags, etc. I buy them from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amora%20knife

Become steel or get cut.

Last edited by Steel_Talon; 08-12-2013 at 04:00 AM.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #6

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum

What do you ask it to do?
Just average stuff in my daily life.. Cut plastic film, cardboard etc.. Open blister pack type packages, dig grease from under my finger nails.. Nothing to major.. It's made for splitting the sheathing on large size electrical wire.
It has a plastic handle so its fairly light and after several years its still tight as the day I bought it.

I did break the tip trying to pry a burnt electrical connector apart, but that's my fault.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 264 Times on 169 Posts

I have a few custom knives, one that I designed, too cut diaphragms out, and had a shirttail cousin make off a wax pattern. Several of them were made out of shot out mini-gun barrels, hammer forged into a steel that resembles Damascus steel, but is harder.

That said: My daily carry is a pre WWII, Schrade Walden, Improved Muskrat. The brothers, both of whom collect knives, just about messed their panties when they realized how old it is. I search eBay for them about every three weeks, and have managed to get three NOS, all told.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

I personally use a lot of cheaper knives. Infact, the only knife I own over $100 is a Silver Stagg hunting knife my best friend bought me as a gift to say thanks for being his best man... I have been very pleased with most of the knives I have bought and have not been let down yet. I am not really thrashing the hell out of them but I do use them a lot and I can do so without the nagging fear of damaging anything costly. I will admit that I am aware of the blade steels I use though. I have a number of them in 8cr13mov which is very inexpensive but has done well for my purposes. I have an older benchmade pika in 154cm and I don't like it at all. The steel must have seen some unusual heat treat or something because I can't get it sharp to save my life. I thought maybe I was the problem so I let a buddy take a shot at it. He has been making knives of his own and he is a sharp tools enthusiast. He brought the knife back to me a few weeks later and said he had done the best he could but that he didn't feel he had done any better than I had. My favorite blade so far has been my kershaw skyline in 14c28n Sandvik steel. I have used it a ton and without touching it up managed to SLICE my finger.... It was way sharper than I expected it would be after everything i put it through. I like that I can toss it in my pocket and if I somehow lose it I am only out 30 bucks or so. I will admit, expensive blades are not without merit, some are beautiful and in many cases the blade steels and handle materials are much better, but I don't do enough with most of mine to be wanting for more.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If you are in the "High Country" during elk season and you see a seasoned hunter skinning an elk? His old worn Carharts are blooded and his saddle most likely will be cracked and patched. His Savage 99 .300 will show a life of snow storms and scabbard wear. His knife an "Old Hickory" butcher knife. They can be sharpened very fast and no one knife will finish an elk without honing.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #10

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

tx, you really must be bored to want to start this thread. (fight).

But i don't really see a need for any knife over $10.00 (except the one to carve the turkey on thanksgiving). I do have a Kershaw that my wife bought me 30 years ago for my birthday before we were married. And a Buck (45 yrs old) that I have taken all over the US with me backpacking, camping, white water rafting and hunting. (I also have it's twin brother I bought 10 years ago, for around $30.00).

The only thing I carry around with me every day is a pink (yes I said pink) Kershaw 2 1/2 inch that CDNN sent me free of charge with a order some 1 or 2 years ago. (really sharp knife for opening on-line orders.)

So let the fight begin, just don't use any of my blades for it. (LOL)

Jim

These are just some that I have purchased over the years, there is another 10 or 15 not shown.

Last edited by bigjim; 08-12-2013 at 04:46 AM.