Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Disappointed with the KA-BAR knife.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Thats exactly right, that chinese knock off crap is out there everywhere posing to be the "real deal". Benchmade is the same way, the way that you can normally tell a fake benchmade is that a real one had USA under the butterfly, the knock offs do not

?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #22

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge

?
Not that one, the one on the blade :-)

forumrunner_20120910_183302.jpg

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #23

Liked 57 Times on 31 Posts

Yeah, I just found it.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #24

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge
Yeah, I just found it.
Yessir, she's real :-)

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #25

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Don't be confused. Some of these aren't counterfeit knockoffs, they are licensed by the companies that chose to kill American jobs and move at least a portion of the operation to China.

Benchmade, Ka Bar, Buck, Gerber, and others have products made in both places.

A Chinese Gerber is officially a Gerber. But the quality is negligible.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The. Mark II K-BAR made in Cammillus (sp?) N.Y. as I posted earlier served me EXTREMELY well. Thea aren't made in Camillus anymore ,they are still made in N.Y . but I haven't had the chance to handle one of the new ones. The original had Mark II ,Cammillus N.Y. up by the "bone guard" on the reverse was U.S. NAVY. It had a ribbed leather handle and a "blood channel" on both sides . On the top ,the last two inches or so went from the widest point to the end tip and war just as sharp as the main underside of the blade. It had a thick ,tough green sheath with a snap around the handle. It served me throughout a 30 year's career with Spec. Ops.
If you own one and are dissatisfied with it you should just leave a post on here & I'll take it off your hands.
As for uses ,there were multiple uses . I knew men who were highly proficient at using them! They made it look like a movie!!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #27

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post
I talked to my Marine buddy about it and he told me they are really bad Knives. He told me no one he knew used one over there and all ordered ones from Benchmade or SOG or so.

He said KA-BAR's are crap. Granted, that's just his opinion, but I felt it need be noted.
According to my brother, the KA-BARs that the Corps was issuing were not true KA-BARs. They were knockoffs that the Corps picked up from a different supplier. Apparently it started in the 90s with the Clinton cuts, and carried on through to the mid 00s when they switched over to the new KA-BAR bayonets. He loved his.

As for the OP. Like anything, sometimes quality control does not catch every defective piece. And then there is also the likelyhood that buying something from Amazon will put something in your hands that is not exactly proper. There are many different companies that produce a KA-BAR type knife. Some even say KA-BAR on the blade, with the other telltale markings.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The MARK II / U.S. NAVY was issued throughout all branches of the military,...in my day.LOL! I'm not that old! "You're only as old as the woman you feel !"

Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I COULDN'T tell you for certain on the knives from the 90's!! Sorry!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #30

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I served 3 years in the Marine Corp. The only time I got into a knife fight was in a bar in San Diego.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/