Disappointed with the KA-BAR knife.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Disappointed with the KA-BAR knife.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Disappointed with the KA-BAR knife.

I got one off Amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Marine-Fighting-Knife-Straight/dp/B001H53Q6M/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1342516510&sr=1-1&keywords=kabar

Price was good, knife looked good.

I got the knife. Dull edge, but this is normal according to reviews; they can't ship em sharp. So I decide to sharpen it, going at it and I get a decent edge on it, that I am happy with it.

Now these are Legendary Knives for their durability and usefulness. So I sheath the knife and put it away.

I pull out the knife the next day and I see the strangest thing; the tip of the blade has some chips of the anti-rust coating come off. I double take, do a few quick looks and yes, it peeled right off.

So having accepted this fact, I re-sheath it.

Take it out and decide to cut a few things with it and more of the anti-rust coating comes off.

Then my Sister steals the Knife and probably pawns it for drug money.

Overall, just not impressed from my experience. Thought these would be the Knife to last 100 years. :P

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts

I can't believe it. I have the exact same kabar with no problems at all. Bad luck man sorry

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

How did you sharpen it?

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Using a Sharpening tool.

And I realize, you think I may have caused this issue, but I assure you that the anti-rust coating came from a place where the sharpening tool never touched.

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_b

My friend has the same one and his knife worked well with it.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #5

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That's nuts. I've owned two, carried one in Afghanistan. Never had this issue.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I talked to my Marine buddy about it and he told me they are really bad Knives. He told me no one he knew used one over there and all ordered ones from Benchmade or SOG or so.

He said KA-BAR's are crap. Granted, that's just his opinion, but I felt it need be noted.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #7

People feel the same way about 1911's and prefer Glock, Sig, etc. Yet, it's been around for 100+ years and still a model which all others are compared to.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

It appears that the vast majority of the user reviews, from the Amazon site you posted, disagree with you. Even the best products can at times turn out a flawed unit. Maybe you should send it back for a replacement.

My experience with Ka-Bar knives has been nothing but good.

Last edited by rocshaman; 09-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #9

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride
I talked to my Marine buddy about it and he told me they are really bad Knives. He told me no one he knew used one over there and all ordered ones from Benchmade or SOG or so.

He said KA-BAR's are crap. Granted, that's just his opinion, but I felt it need be noted.
I just think it's funny... I ran into MANY guys that had the same opinion while I was active duty. They all ordered the biggest, most wicked looking knives they could find, spending hundreds of dollars. ALL of these wannabe knife gurus brought their blades to me to sharpen, because they didn't know how and didn't even have anything to sharpen them with. They had very serious discussions late into the nights about the best knife fighting techniques...

Wanna take a wild guess at how many times Marines actually have to use a knife in combat? Wanna take another guess as to who actually has done so? I only know of one person, and have heard of a small handful of others.

And some people wonder why I love KA-BAR.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

I just think it's funny... I ran into MANY guys that had the same opinion while I was active duty. They all ordered the biggest, most wicked looking knives they could find, spending hundreds of dollars. ALL of these wannabe knife gurus brought their blades to me to sharpen, because they didn't know how and didn't even have anything to sharpen them with. They had very serious discussions late into the nights about the best knife fighting techniques...

Wanna take a wild guess at how many times Marines actually have to use a knife in combat? Wanna take another guess as to who actually has done so? I only know of one person, and have heard of a small handful of others.

And some people wonder why I love KA-BAR.
If you are implying you did indeed knife fight, you are legally required to tell the story