Dillinger vs. Benning: This is Spartan!!! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Dillinger vs. Benning: This is Spartan!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Lynn Thompson, CEO of Cold Steel, becomes aware that two guys on a growing firearms forum have a pseudo contest in which they beat the hell out of one of his products.

He has confidence in his product, keeps an eye on the thread. As it progresses, he sees his product living up to it's name. He maybe takes a day, signs on to answer questions exclusively for the forum members about knives, maybe upcoming products.

Hell, maybe he gets inspired to advertise here.

Benning has to keep producing to keep the thread alive, goes to remote locations, endures hardships, and gets a 300 six pack.

Within months, he concludes the knife is a winner, puts on some leather briefs and a red cape, and takes over his whole state, declaring himself King of New Sparta.

Or the knife could break.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Benning, you're insane, mate. My kind of insane, though.

I'm not a big fan of torturing knives, in fact their over the top "Proof" DVDs is something that kept me away from Cold Steel products for quite a while. I believe every knife is a compromise, especially folding knives, and can't be expected to do everything.

Unrealistic testing like stabbing car doors or chopping cinder blocks leads to manufacturers sometimes tweaking their designs to tackle those challenges instead of working as a proper knife. And we end up being flooded with sharpened pry bars and folders with blades and grinds so thick that they are worthless as cutting tools (even though most folding knife stress caused failures happen at the pivot, people look for ridiculously thick blades).

I consider folding knives something you use to get by when you can't use/carry a fixed blade knife. Kinda like the handgun/shotgun relationship in the gun world. Trying to get a folding knife to perform to fixed blade standards is, IMHO, just plain stupid.

Anyway, informal torture testing certainly is loads of fun! I get together with some other knife knuts once a month and a couple of them do all sorts of crazy s#%t to their knives. I've got it all video taped.

One of the knives that we've beat on the most is the Cold Steel Rajah II. I would not carry that thing, but I've got to admit it's built like a bloody tank. We've done some heavy batoning with it, which puts a lot of stress on the lock and pivot pin, we've chopped and stabbed any material we could get our hands on, and it survived everything. It didn't even develope a bit of blade play. I believe the Spartan has the same lock, it's strong as hell. The blade and edge bevel angles are not insanely thick either, we routinely cut free hanging 1" manila rope and other stuff with it, including materials in which an overly thick blade with bad edge geometry would just bind too much.

So CS might make exagerated claims about their knives, but even somebody like me who doesn't like them too much (I only own half a dozen or so) has to admit they are tough. I need one of those Spartans like I need a hole in my head, but now I'm feeling like running out to the store to get one and shave my head!

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #23

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

When COld steel makes a batlif is the day I buy one.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Benning, you're insane, mate. My kind of insane, though.

I'm not a big fan of torturing knives, in fact their over the top "Proof" DVDs is something that kept me away from Cold Steel products for quite a while. I believe every knife is a compromise, especially folding knives, and can't be expected to do everything.

Unrealistic testing like stabbing car doors or chopping cinder blocks leads to manufacturers sometimes tweaking their designs to tackle those challenges instead of working as a proper knife. And we end up being flooded with sharpened pry bars and folders with blades and grinds so thick that they are worthless as cutting tools (even though most folding knife stress caused failures happen at the pivot, people look for ridiculously thick blades).

I consider folding knives something you use to get by when you can't use/carry a fixed blade knife. Kinda like the handgun/shotgun relationship in the gun world. Trying to get a folding knife to perform to fixed blade standards is, IMHO, just plain stupid.

Anyway, informal torture testing certainly is loads of fun! I get together with some other knife knuts once a month and a couple of them do all sorts of crazy s#%t to their knives. I've got it all video taped.

One of the knives that we've beat on the most is the Cold Steel Rajah II. I would not carry that thing, but I've got to admit it's built like a bloody tank. We've done some heavy batoning with it, which puts a lot of stress on the lock and pivot pin, we've chopped and stabbed any material we could get our hands on, and it survived everything. It didn't even develope a bit of blade play. I believe the Spartan has the same lock, it's strong as hell. The blade and edge bevel angles are not insanely thick either, we routinely cut free hanging 1" manila rope and other stuff with it, including materials in which an overly thick blade with bad edge geometry would just bind too much.

So CS might make exagerated claims about their knives, but even somebody like me who doesn't like them too much (I only own half a dozen or so) has to admit they are tough. I need one of those Spartans like I need a hole in my head, but now I'm feeling like running out to the store to get one and shave my head!
The videos seemed crazy to me, too, and it's early, but so far the knife is working as advertised.

What do I expect from this knife? I think it should be capable at everything. I'm in total agreement that people will specialize specs so a knife will do one thing expertly. I expect this to do many things well.

Some things won't be readily evident to people. Cutting paper seems ghey, but paper and cardboard are some of the toughest materials on an edge.

I'm curious how far it will go before it needs sharpened, and then how difficult will sharpening be.

I'd like anyone following this to hold off on a purchase until we've satisfied your curiosity, and if they hold up, get one or two.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Oh, so this little uppity Benning Boy wants to throw out a challenge of hardcore destruction and starts by shaving his head huh?

Oh, and then freezing your blade??

Well, how about THESE tests....

Let's see, what do we have here:

Is that a pair of old levis? Why, yes it is.....

Is that a piece of 12 gauge electrical wire? Why, yes it is.....

Is that a piece of wire that contains (2) twelve gauge wires AND a neutral copper wire? Why, yes it is....

Is that some 1800lb test strength nylon mule tape? Why yes, yes it is as well....

Wait.

Is that a god damn HARD HAT??

spartan-fodder-001.jpg   spartan-fodder-004.jpg   spartan-fodder-005.jpg  

Old 12-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Within months, he concludes the knife is a winner, puts on some leather briefs and a red cape, and takes over his whole state, declaring himself King of New Sparta.

Or the knife could break.
In light of the current developments, I am no longer preparing for the possibile zombie apocalypse. Being at the probable ground zero of the upcoming offensive, I have decided to now focus all my preparation and attention to defending against the imminent attack on my home state by masked, bald, caped and leather thong wearing spartan ninjas.
Sleep well tonite my friends, for tomorrow I dine in hell....unless the knife breaks.
Ever vigilant---gate

But then again I wonder what the taxes will be like in New Sparta? Hmmm...it may be a change for the better.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

BTW the new hairstyle is GK approved, god only created so many perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #28

Sooooo. How about a little piercing testing?? I built this bullet trap a year or so ago. It was for a sub sonic .223 project at the shop. Needed to safely test it before we debuted it for local PD. Anyways, I digress.

It's a box about 12 inches long, 8 inches wide and 8 inches high. I just cut piece after piece of cardboard to size and put one after the other in the box until it was full and I taped it shut.

Here I stabbed the knife into the top of the target. It went through 11 normal sheets of cardboard, along with two super pieces of cardboard that I had left over from the generator box. Notice the difference in thickness in the pictures. Each one of the super sheets is worth about 3 or 4 of the normal thickness pieces.

spartan-fodder-030.jpg   spartan-fodder-032.jpg   spartan-fodder-034.jpg   spartan-fodder-036.jpg   spartan-fodder-031.jpg  

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 AM   #29

Yeah? That's not really that impressive JD. An icepick will do that. So would a nail or even a steak knife.

Okay. How about something a little more hardcore?? You guys ever watch hockey?

This is an authentic hockey puck. It's solid rubber. They same ones that are frozen and thrown on the ice for NHL games.

Why do you have official hockey pucks JD, you don't even like hockey. Ninja please, you have seen my dog, right?

Check this out.

I was stabbing this sitting on top of my garbage can, and it flexes a bit. I think if I had this hockey puck on a solid surface, I could have gotten all the way thru. I have some more pucks, I might have to try that.

After I was done, I wanted to know how close I got, so carefully left the knife in place and used an exacto knife to cut away the surrouding surface. Turns out, I got pretty damn close....

spartan-fodder-015.jpg   spartan-fodder-016.jpg   spartan-fodder-018.jpg   spartan-fodder-020.jpg  

Old 12-18-2009, 12:39 AM   #30

Okay JD, that is not bad, but c'mon. That is rubber and cardboard. Not exactly what I would call a "hard" material.

Okay. Fair enough. Luckily I brought my A game.

You guys ever wear a hard hat? Designed to protect your melon from all sorts of things falling on you.

Well, they need to be changed out every 3 years by the Standards here in Wash State.

Sooooo, as luck would effing have it, I kid you not, yesterday I got a brand new hardhat and the safety guy told me to get rid of my old one, since it was no longer "safe".

Ooooohhhhhhhh Benning, what do you think of this My Friend??

spartan-fodder-012.jpg   spartan-fodder-013.jpg   spartan-fodder-014.jpg