Dillinger Tests: The Kershaw Outcast - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Dillinger Tests: The Kershaw Outcast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you look at the bottom of the tape, it's 3/8" towards the ricasso.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
That's not a coconut! That's the milk bag you find after you husk a real coconut!
Well?

Why not send me a REAL coconut so I can test it with the Outcast?!?!?

This is ALL we get up here in the PNW.

Got more tests planned for this weekend.

Anyone think that disassembling a pallet with a field knife is a bad idea??

JD

Old 01-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Pallets sound like an interesting test media, watch out for nails!

I've been spending more time on the FTF "other weapons" subforum than on dedicated knife forums lately, loads of good info on here lately.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #14

So, we got a request for tomato slicing and a second on the pallet disassembly. Anything else you guys want to see?

I am thinking of chopping the boards on the pallet and then using the blade to pry the boards off the 2x4's in a lever action, to stress the lateral strength of the blade.

I got a few dog bones I am going to shatter with the back faux edge to show it's bone breaking ability.

I should probably wander off into the woods and chop a few limbs off at the tree as if I were making a lean to.

What else?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can do some whittling, to see how it handles more delicate tasks. Fuzz sticks for fire starting, traps (nothing too complicated, a figure four or something like that), spoons or something like that if you're into it. While they aren't super hardcore tests they tell you a lot about the handle ergonomics and the edge geometry.

Free hanging manila rope is another fun test. It might take a while to get the technique down but it gives you some feedback on the knive's slashing ability.

Batoning would be good as well. It puts the blade under quite a bit of stress if hard or knotty wood is used.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #16

Default Updated: New Cutting

So, I was going to do this over the weekend, but we had some household issues, not the least of which was a break in our main water line UNDER my driveway that needed to be repaired and had our house without water for a couple of days.

Anyways, I got some testing done today.

I was going to whack up this old pallet that I had, but when I got to getting it ready, I noticed it was supported well in the center for chopping and is the perfect height. So, it was spared the Wrath of the Outcast.

Not so lucky was our friend the NHL Hockey puck again.

As you can see, while the Outcast did not go all the way through in one top down strike, it did get halfway there and the puck was afixed like glue to the blade, meaning it was a narrow and deep cut.

img_2065.jpg   img_2066.jpg   img_2068.jpg   img_2069.jpg   img_2072.jpg  

Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #17

Since it was attached to the blade, I just raised it about eye level and slapped it down on the center 2x4 of the pallet and the blade went right through.

Now, there is a term in Structural Engineering ( someone here will know it ) that when you break the cohesive, sectional/structural, whatever density of a sphere, like the hockey puck with the missing side, it is greatly weakened. I don't know why, I just remember it from some point in my past.

As such, I just put the pieces back up there, and with one decent overhead chop, the same as I used previously, the blade went right through the hockey puck with no problems what-so-ever.

img_2073.jpg   img_2076.jpg   img_2077.jpg   img_2075.jpg  

Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #18

So, the hockey puck wasn't up to much of a challenge, but what else would we encounter if we had this on our hip in a time of crisis or need??

Well, what if you had to cut a power line, or a power line being used to secure something, in a hurry? Well, the handle is insulated rubber ( while not rated I am sure it would provide enough protection for household 120/240 voltage ).

Here is a piece of old wire I had. It's (5) pieces of 14AWG inside a plastic coating. Not really anything major, you could go through it with your hand held cutters pretty easily, but would it damage the blade to cut it with the Outcast??

Uh, no. No challenge what-so-ever. I needed about a 12 inch downward strike and even that marred up the cutting surface and the Outcast made quick work of the wire.

img_2093.jpg   img_2092.jpg   img_2100.jpg   img_2103.jpg   img_2104.jpg  

Last edited by Dillinger; 01-28-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #19

So, how about chopping some lumber? I had an old piece of 2 x 4 treated fence material that was about 6 inches long. Pretty much worthless, except for hacking on.

I turned it on it's side, so I could attack the cross grain to see how the blade would bite. In the first strike, my grip wasn't solid and the blade twisted, which created that nice little arc you see in the picture.

Total penetration is about one inch. I would imagine if I hit something fresh, like a tree stalk, it would go much deeper. This is treated and dry wood that is also not a large enough piece that that I could secure it and get a real run at it.

With the grain was not even a challenge. Like a hot knife through butter. And finally a shot of the over penetration damage to the pallet I was using as my cutting board.

Plenty of chop in this weapon and I haven't scratched the surface yet of things I am betting it will do. Definitely a keeper in my opinion based on the price.

img_2081.jpg   img_2084.jpg   img_2085.jpg   img_2105.jpg  

Old 01-29-2010, 02:39 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That looks pretty darn good so far.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams