Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Dillinger Tests: The Kershaw Outcast (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/dillinger-tests-kershaw-outcast-22417/)

Dillinger 01-20-2010 11:38 PM

Dillinger Tests: The Kershaw Outcast

3 Attachment(s)
So, in the ongoing Blade Test Showdown, I ordered up the Kershaw Outcast after it was recommend by Francisco.

This knife was $68 delivered to my door and one thing I can say is that it is an IMPRESSIVE piece of D2 Blade Steel!

The edge is quite sharp, not as sharp as others I have tried, but definitely sharp enough for any chopping activities you could encounter.

The part that really impressed me was how effing thick the back of the blade was. We are talking a little over 3/16" thick! This is one beefy blade.

Here are some pictures before testing.

Dillinger 01-20-2010 11:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, I was a bit short on test material after the last test, and I was between paydays, so I only have a couple of things to show you until this weekend.

First off what a piece of cedar fence board. Cedar is not a strong wood. It's quite easily cut and split.

Unless you go across the grain in a chopping fashion. :cool:

As you can see, by merely holding this cedar board off the side of the bench and whacking it with this big blade, the knife just compressed the wood half way through and snapped it off without much splittering.

This was actually kind of impressive that the wood did not shatter/splinter, it just got whacked off fairly clean.

Check it out.

Dillinger 01-20-2010 11:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So then I got a coconut for the tests on the way home.

One of the things I wanted to try was kind of a "glancing blow" to the top edge of a round object. You know, like a slashing "scalping" action.

As you can see, I got the edge of the coconut and then went right into the press board that I had beneath it. :eek:

For the follow up chop, I went more center coconut mass and just laid waste to the thing. It really was quite a short fight, except for the coconut juice that went all over the garage... LOL

Franciscomv 01-21-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 215960)

The edge is quite sharp, not as sharp as others I have tried, but definitely sharp enough for any chopping activities you could encounter.

This has been the most common complaint in the reviews I've read so far and on internet knife forums as well. IMHO, as long as the edge bevels are properly ground and all it takes is some sharpening and not actual reprofiling or grinding, I'm fine with it. Especially in knives in the sub $100 price range.

Thanks for the pictures! In theory D2 is not very shock resistant, but as a good mate of mine likes to say "In theory communism works", it'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

Dillinger 01-21-2010 12:34 AM

For less than $70, delivered, I am comfortable with the knife and it's performance.

I have no doubt that I could sharpen this blade to beyond hair shaving sharp. The edges of the blade out of the box are even and are not rough, nor are the ground uneven down the length.

All in all, so far, I don't have a complaint about the knife. It's performing everything asked of it and I have a few tricks still in store.

JD

CA357 01-21-2010 03:13 AM

Try finely slicing a tomato just for grins. ;)

canebrake 01-21-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 215965)
So then I got a coconut for the tests on the way home.

One of the things I wanted to try was kind of a "glancing blow" to the top edge of a round object. You know, like a slashing "scalping" action.

As you can see, I got the edge of the coconut and then went right into the press board that I had beneath it. :eek:

For the follow up chop, I went more center coconut mass and just laid waste to the thing. It really was quite a short fight, except for the coconut juice that went all over the garage... LOL

That's not a coconut! That's the milk bag you find after you husk a real coconut!

spittinfire 01-21-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 215960)

The part that really impressed me was how effing thick the back of the blade was. We are talking a little over 3/8" thick! This is one beffy blade.

That's 3/16"

cpttango30 01-21-2010 12:15 PM

JD man you really should stop chewing your nails.

Great review.

Gojubrian 01-21-2010 02:11 PM

Spitty caught it.