The Crossbow & Walking Dead - Anyone? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > The Crossbow & Walking Dead - Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 02:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Mea Culpa!!

Thoroughly put in my place by TxHILLBILLY.

Apologies all around!

That Horton Vision is still an excellent and very tempting choice. I LOVE the reverse bow, the weight over the handle and the portability of the design. I have felt for awhile that this design is the next evolution of the design for the times we are in.

I would be VERY interested in seeing the weight of a bolt and the FPS of this crossbow in the field. Existing reviews are across the board from people that I don't know.

A review from someone that I do know would go a long ways towards saving me some cash.

Having said that, I would love to compare both. The Stryker is the industry recognized model of the moment, but against the Horton, which I prefer personally if the numbers pencil out, I would buy now and not wait.

JD

Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 AM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

A couple of years ago I got to thinking about SHTF situations, conservation of ammo and quietude. Bought a couple of crossbows from Sportman's Guide. 125# draw if I remember right, single recurve prod which is important to me. The Lovely Mrs can cock one without undue strain. They were pretty cheap, under $100 each I think. Haven't taken them out and shot them yet, haven't decided on a satisfactory backstop in case I miss the foam block. But I'm sure they'll do the job within 50 yds or so.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #23

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Stryker X Bows

I too, still want a Tac-15 as well, but this is a possible intermediate addition to (MY) Christmas list.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

So do these compound crossbows need tuning like regular compound bows? I'm into "lower tech is better". Got a 60# recurve not too long ago, going to start practicing.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #25

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I too like the idea of a cross bow, but, a quick follow-up shot on his zombie partner would be rather iffy, especially if you are in retreat. I would rather use my 55 pound Browing recurve bow. Faster to re-load.

Jim................

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 11-06-2011, 01:37 AM   #26

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think my barnett ghost 350 would work greatly with my 70# hoyt ultratec as a silent back up.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #27

Daryl was not in the original series (yes the graphic novels) I was skeptical when I heard they were adding characters. I thought it would take away from the 'survival horror feel'. They ended up adding like 4 main characters, and it seems like they already have enough in the books.

i was wrong though, I guess they knew what they were doing with Daryl because he became my favorite 2 mins after they introduced him. Love the show.

The crossbow is cool too.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Still waiting to hear about need for tuning the compound crossbow.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #29

Liked 1302 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Still waiting to hear about need for tuning the compound crossbow.
Well I don't know about any tuning.I do check all the nuts & bolts for correct torque/tightness,and inspect and wax all the cables,check the cams,and lube the rail each time I use it.
Once you have it zeroed,unless you break or change the string/cables,there's nothing to tune.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #30

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly

Well I don't know about any tuning.I do check all the nuts & bolts for correct torque/tightness,and inspect and wax all the cables,check the cams,and lube the rail each time I use it.
Once you have it zeroed,unless you break or change the string/cables,there's nothing to tune.
The only times other than wats above mentiond that you need to tune one is if you get different fletchings, bolt weight, or point style/weights