The Crossbow & Walking Dead - Anyone? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

The Crossbow & Walking Dead - Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
to watch Walking Dead except when I'm in the gym on a treadmill or something...

The crossbow has been on my want list for quite some time but up til a year or so ago you couldn't hunt with them here in NC.
1. Are you saying you look a bit run-down when using the treadmill?

2. Similar issue in MS in regards to hunting, very limited. A relative has a permanently disabled eye and purchased a crossbow, but i don't know if it has been used yet on teh swamp donkey culling.

And yes, my first thought was "i wonder what that would do to Yogi?".

Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #12

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Dillinger you take on daryl is spot on, i was thinking the same thing. I wouldnt mind havin a cross bow around for shtf aswell. Do u have any idea what the stryker cost? A guy i work with said by the time you buy one and slap a scope on it youd be looking at a grand or more, i just cant see spending that on a crossbow. I mean for that you could get a good ar and have those follow up shots
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #13

Liked 154 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Dillinger you take on daryl is spot on, i was thinking the same thing. I wouldnt mind havin a cross bow around for shtf aswell. Do u have any idea what the stryker cost? A guy i work with said by the time you buy one and slap a scope on it youd be looking at a grand or more, i just cant see spending that on a crossbow. I mean for that you could get a good ar and have those follow up shots
cabelas had a stryker package deal for $749 but the page i checked also said "sold out"

the excalibur equinox package at same place in stock was $899. there were some ten points and other brands over a $1000 as well.

and regarding the follow up shots, now that i've been thinking about these things all afternoon, i seem to recall a movie whose title i dont remember where a guy had a 2 shot crossbow.... can anyone else happen to back me up on that....? it may have been some obscure medieval flick my best friend and I hunted out way back when....

Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I looked at that one too. The thing is their 350fps speed is with their bolt and a special string. It can be achieved, if you order right, but the Styker comes to 350-380fps stock, which is a plus.

Now the recurve thing I have to give you because I like that look too.

TxNorton turned me onto the Vision and it's a great looking crossbow that is built right. I like the reverse bow in terms of weight across the grip, the only thing I saw as a downside was the pull weight vs. speed of flight / impact on skull.

I did a lot of comparing and came to the Styker against my early opinion because of the mixed reviews right now. Seems the repair issues have been worked out.

Then again, SHOT is in 2.5 months and something brand new could hit the market.

JD
yeah i noticed the thing about different string to achieve the desired fps, i need to read up more on them in general. a friend was telling me he had one and the bolts would break all the time unless you were always hitting hay bails or something as soft.

i suppose that isnt a concern in the shtf scenario or with zombies but in this non zombie economy, i'd rather be able to re use the quarrels/bolts.

another thought i had on the recurve was a tad quieter..not sure if thats true though

lastly, the reviews i was reading on both were off of cabelas site and i'm not always sure how to interpret those, the could be phony entries by the product reps....but it seemed like the equinox had 5x as many 5stars as 1stars, with a larger sample base like 25 and the stryker had about 12-13 total with as many 5stars as 1stars...some being about the limbs breaking.

now like i said...not sure how many grains of salt to take those reviews with but it did play into my choosing...

and again maybe they have the issues with the stryker resolved and the new ones are spot one....

it be nice to rent a few to try em out

Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #15

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
cabelas had a stryker package deal for $749 but the page i checked also said "sold out"

the excalibur equinox package at same place in stock was $899. there were some ten points and other brands over a $1000 as well.

and regarding the follow up shots, now that i've been thinking about these things all afternoon, i seem to recall a movie whose title i dont remember where a guy had a 2 shot crossbow.... can anyone else happen to back me up on that....? it may have been some obscure medieval flick my best friend and I hunted out way back when....
Hey Mack. You're discussing the Chinese Repeating crossbow.

Not super accurate.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #16

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

That was weapon masters that had the chinese repeating crossbow, think it was on history channel or military channel. The host was a tall goofy guy with a gotee. Pretty interesting show.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I think a crossbow would be sweet to own! I just added one more thing to my wish list.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #18

Nice find Ben.....thats the one.

so far the only thing that kind of bugs me is the tree pattern camos they seem to ONLY be available in....

i want one in all black and the kolorfusion or whatever that composite material is doesnt appear to be repaintable? anyone know different?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #19

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
Nice find Ben.....thats the one.

so far the only thing that kind of bugs me is the tree pattern camos they seem to ONLY be available in....

i want one in all black and the kolorfusion or whatever that composite material is doesnt appear to be repaintable? anyone know different?
I remember what you're talking about. I remember a movie where the guy had some goofy repeating crossbow that never seemed to run out of bolts.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #20

Liked 1321 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

TxNorton turned me onto the Vision and it's a great looking crossbow that is built right. I like the reverse bow in terms of weight across the grip, the only thing I saw as a downside was the pull weight vs. speed of flight / impact on skull.

JD
Just who are you calling TxNorton? Drink another cup of Joe,J.D.
Not that I mind,but TxNorton just might.

And I really don't see any downside to the pull weight vs fps. 175 lb pull & 325-350 fps.I do need to run a few thru the chronograph to see just what the speed is,but it sends the bolts into the rubber/foam target pretty dang deep.Deep enough that I have to wear leather gloves in order to pull them back out,and it doesn't matter whether it's 20 yards or 50 yards.

I still want a Tac-15,but there's no way to justify the cost and perfomance differences.Yes,it does shoot groups at 100 yards,but it is also shooting a 26" arrow,and that is the main reason for that.The pull weight is only 10lbs greater than the Vision.
The main thing that brought me to buy the Vision was the way the weight of the bow is centered,it's not like trying to hold up a boat anchor,like most conventional crossbows.

The Crossbow & Walking Dead - Anyone? - Other Weapons

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 11-04-2011 at 01:58 AM.