The Crossbow & Walking Dead - Anyone?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > The Crossbow & Walking Dead - Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default The Crossbow & Walking Dead - Anyone?

So I think I can safely assume 50% plus of you like minded folks have loving AMC's Walking Dead. Who isn't, right? Oh yeah, them....

So I think it's pretty obvious the one guy who has his SHTF self together is Daryl Dixon, played by Norman Reedus of Boondock Saints' Fame. He's grizzled, he's uncouth, dirty, and completely the guy who seems perfectly well grounded and NOT a drama bomb, right?

So obviously the silent crossbow is the perfect stealth weapon and we all need one, right?!?!

Okay, maybe it's only me.

But because all my FTF Friends know I have a research case of OCD that can't be easily satisfied, I give you my latest find and the reasons why.

The Stryker Crossbow

Now while the TAC-15 is on everyone's That's Cool list, it's big, it's awkward and it takes a hand crank to reload instead of traditional foot in frame and tether found in every other crossbow out there.

The Stryker will throw Heavy bolts, 385 grain broadhead hunters, at upwards of 350fps!

That is a Zombie Slayer right there folks, and at half the price of the TAC-15.

Now, as you all know I don't like to rush after bleeding edge tech, this company is dealing with some production issues at the moment, but the warranty repairs are being reported as very positive. This is good.

After all, we have until Dec. 21st, 2012, or sooner if BO is elected again, so take some time, earmark a piece of that tax return or year end bonus, if you are lucky enough.

Give it a serious look, I think you will like the features and the reduced weight.

Daryl would definitely approve.

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1132 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 657

wow. how wierd that i was pondering the same thing this week. would a crossbow be a good thing to have around. well i think i will start looking and learning thats for sure

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

That looks as though it could be quite fun. Bring on the pumpkins and watermelons.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
That looks as though it could be quite fun. Bring on the pumpkins and watermelons.
Right? Right!

JD

Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 567

J.D.,I'll just stick with my Horton Vision 175.I really like this crossbow.
If we had anything to hunt,damn drought,I was going to use it for archery season this year but no deer around.
Maybe I'll get to try it out on some hogs in a couple weeks,we went out Sunday nite,but I wanted to break in the 458 SOCOM on them first.But once again,none were seen.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #6

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I love the idea of cross bows for zombie hunting, if you ever look at the guys bolt when it's loaded into the crossbow it's sitting on top of the string... glade to see they thing about safety.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't have cable to I'm not lucky enough to actually get to watch Walking Dead except when I'm in the gym on a treadmill or something...

The crossbow has been on my want list for quite some time but up til a year or so ago you couldn't hunt with them here in NC. The year after I bought my first bow that law changed....All I know is Halloween is over and there are a number of pumpkins that need slaying!!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think they're a great idea, but rapid follow up shots are off the table. That's the deal breaker for me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #9

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
So I think I can safely assume 50% plus of you like minded folks have loving AMC's Walking Dead. Who isn't, right? Oh yeah, them....

So I think it's pretty obvious the one guy who has his SHTF self together is Daryl Dixon, played by Norman Reedus of Boondock Saints' Fame. He's grizzled, he's uncouth, dirty, and completely the guy who seems perfectly well grounded and NOT a drama bomb, right?

So obviously the silent crossbow is the perfect stealth weapon and we all need one, right?!?!

Okay, maybe it's only me.

But because all my FTF Friends know I have a research case of OCD that can't be easily satisfied, I give you my latest find and the reasons why.

The Stryker Crossbow

Now while the TAC-15 is on everyone's That's Cool list, it's big, it's awkward and it takes a hand crank to reload instead of traditional foot in frame and tether found in every other crossbow out there.

The Stryker will throw Heavy bolts, 385 grain broadhead hunters, at upwards of 350fps!

That is a Zombie Slayer right there folks, and at half the price of the TAC-15.

Now, as you all know I don't like to rush after bleeding edge tech, this company is dealing with some production issues at the moment, but the warranty repairs are being reported as very positive. This is good.

After all, we have until Dec. 21st, 2012, or sooner if BO is elected again, so take some time, earmark a piece of that tax return or year end bonus, if you are lucky enough.

Give it a serious look, I think you will like the features and the reduced weight.

Daryl would definitely approve.

JD
now you got me shopping.....again.

I really want to square up on my goal to have a shotgun in the collection soon, but with this i could have endless hours of fun shooting in the shop or shop yard.

well, i am going to give a serious look

after a quick review...for $150 more i'm liking what i read about the excalibur equinox....plus i just like the genuine look of the recurve when it comes to bows and crossbows....

did i mention i have an impulse buying issue...sometimes i can supress it sometimes i cant......the next range report will tell

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Last edited by Mack Bolan; 11-02-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
after a quick review...for $150 more i'm liking what i read about the excalibur equinox....plus i just like the genuine look of the recurve when it comes to bows and crossbows....
I looked at that one too. The thing is their 350fps speed is with their bolt and a special string. It can be achieved, if you order right, but the Styker comes to 350-380fps stock, which is a plus.

Now the recurve thing I have to give you because I like that look too.

TxNorton turned me onto the Vision and it's a great looking crossbow that is built right. I like the reverse bow in terms of weight across the grip, the only thing I saw as a downside was the pull weight vs. speed of flight / impact on skull.

I did a lot of comparing and came to the Styker against my early opinion because of the mixed reviews right now. Seems the repair issues have been worked out.

Then again, SHOT is in 2.5 months and something brand new could hit the market.

JD