Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Crossbow strings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Crossbow strings

So a while ago I bought a couple of crossbows from Sportman's Guide. Not the Jaguar, a cheaper model I haven't seen since with a pull of about 125#. Seems like it should work to me. They came with a multi-strand string that they say you should wax every few shots. Can you make a replacement string out of plastic coated 1/8 cable? I don't want to be waxing this thing all the time and/or be worrying about it breaking and taking my eye out. Any input (if sensible) will be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

It sounds theoretically possible, but if it did work well, why have they not just replaced or offer a crossbow draw string with a cable? Continued income for crossbow draw string replacement?

I would definitely be sporting some safety/shooting glasses, especially using a crossbow.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I built a crossbow in 8th grade woodshop using a kit from an outfit in Kansas that included a 60# aluminum prod and a cable string with a piece of tight piano wire spring that rolled as it contacted the stock. I've never shot it much (still have it) as it has no sights and I haven't bothered to rig any up. But that seems to work, it's what makes me wonder.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why on earth would you need to wax the string after a few shots? Heat is not you bows friend so don't leave it in a closed car on a hot summer day, this is hard on the string.

I'm lucky to wax the string on my bow once a month during the hunting season. I inspect the string and if it looks dry I wax it, otherwise, I don't see a reason to continually wax it. I would imagine that once a week would probably be quite enough, although, I may be wrong.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 09-06-2010 at 09:02 PM.