The Crossbow - Opinions? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > The Crossbow - Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 05:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3483 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That's some good information BigO - Thanks for the intel download!

JD

Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #12

You're quite welcome JD glad to be of help with some info bouncing around in the old noggin .

I started out shooting archery as a wee lad with those toy kits with rubber tipped arrows and went and found my brothers 25# recurve from his boy scouting days at about 10-11 .

Since he is 10 years older than me he was well into the adult stage of life and didnt need a 25# bow "Or any bow since he wasn't actually into it" so it became mine , by 13 I was taking lessons at an indoor range shooting a 35# bow and reading about the adventures of Fred Bear and was soon given a better recurve for Xmas .

Not having any hunters in the family it went dorment for about a decade when I started working/driving /dating and was resurrected in my 20's .

I've built my own arrows and have a couple of compounds sitting around and done enough reading and shooting to have a fairly broad knowledge of it despite not keeping up with whats hot and whats not . Most of it should apply to compounds as all they are is a bow mounted on a rifle stock .

Old 08-08-2008, 03:38 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have used a crossbow and i sell crossbows and its not rocket sience, you put limbsavers on the inside of the limbs as close to the strings as you can get but not touching them, all they do is stick on, if its a split limb they make one that comes in 2 pieces and you just screw them together between the limbs. String sliencers can be many things such as yarn which is not the best or rubber bands that you tie around the string then they will break apart into many pieces after you shoot it a few times.The best kind is what they call sting leeches, you have to put the bow in a press to ease up on the string and they will go inbetween the strands and are very good at keeping it quiet. All crossbows will have a set weight for broadheads and you need to stay with that weight as well as the arrow length. Another thing to remember....you can use fixed blades or mechcanical either one but if the bow shoots really fast ..300+ fps you run the risk of a mechcanical blade popping open when it is shot, get the ones with the small rubber bands that hold the blades closed untill impact. Some fixed blades will catch to much air and will drift on you a tad more also. You also need to wax the strings ALOT..about every 5 shots,use lubewax they give you , it looks and feels like chapstick. string life for a cross bow is usually 300 to 400 shots before replacement. Also wax the track the bolt rides in but dont get it into the channel where it gets on the fletching.A s for the draw weight most will be at 150 lbs or more and use any where from 16" to 22" bolts, longer the bolt...harder its gonna be to pull it back. No need for a crank, your pulling with both hands and its a short pull, Just put your foot in the stirup at front of the bow and go for it. They make rope cockers which will cut the pounds you pull in half for under 10 bucks....well worth it. Its not worth it to try to decock one better just to shoot it, keep you a pratice bolt with a bunt field tip on it and when you get ready to decock it just shoot that at a tree or ground.

Now...as for a SHTF ...get a recurve...things go wrong you can always make your own arrows

Last edited by Righteous; 08-08-2008 at 03:41 AM.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #14

Righteous correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that if you are hunting with a Broadhead tipped bolt in the crossbow , you can remove it and replace it with a Blunt tipped bolt safely and without pulling the trigger ? How ?

As far as shooting the blunt into the ground or a tree doesn't that ruin bolts pretty quickly ?

What is the best way to decock one , string cocker , crank , what ?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you dont put a bolt in the bow when you cock it, you cock the bow then slide the bolt in so to change it just put the broadhead back in the quiver and put the pratice one in, dont shoot anything really close that would damage the bolt, dont matter if the fletching or whatever gets messed up a bit, just dont shoot anything close that would damage the bolt. I have seen decockers that people have made, most were a mouth piece that they could hook to the trigger with a string, pul the bow string back and then release it with ya teeth but i find that to bothersome. Remember most bolts will be carbon ones so bending aint gonna happen . Also remember when you cock these things the safety needs to be in the OFF position, when the string slides back into the catch it will lock it and flip the safety on then. If you put the safety on then cock it you will be pulling it back and it wont catch. Cranks do work but they are heavy and expensive and most attach to the bow permanty. There great for somebody disabled.

Last edited by Righteous; 08-08-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4220 Times on 2353 Posts
Likes Given: 21223

Default Decocking.

Back in the day,I purchased a foot sturup.It was quite compact and folded up under the front stock.As far as bolts,the liter bolts had better velosity but less penatration.Depends what you`re shootin at.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #17

+1 for the foot stirrup.
I have used a crossbow with no cocking aids whatsoever and it was a pig!

I have made a couple of crossbows before they changed the laws here so youneed a permit to have one, but I still make a lot of crossbow strings for people..........

the last one I made I did the action as well, filed out of bar stock and the angles set on a jig I made.
It worked great but was a lot of work.
I am working on a next generation action which will have an adjustable trigger and auto safety catch which should be nicer to shoot, but I need to get a crossbow permit before I can go beyond a 3D CAD model and into steel and those permits are not easy to get more's the pity......

The ones I make are a bit different, in that they don't use a groove for the bolt but have a nock and an arrow rest which cuts friction and gains speed.

Last edited by CARNUT1100; 08-25-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Yo Down Under!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNUT1100 View Post
+1 for the foot stirrup.
I have used a crossbow with no cocking aids whatsoever and it was a pig!

I have made a couple of crossbows before they changed the laws here so youneed a permit to have one, but I still make a lot of crossbow strings for people..........

the last one I made I did the action as well, filed out of bar stock and the angles set on a jig I made.
It worked great but was a lot of work.
I am working on a next generation action which will have an adjustable trigger and auto safety catch which should be nicer to shoot, but I need to get a crossbow permit before I can go beyond a 3D CAD model and into steel and those permits are not easy to get more's the pity......

The ones I make are a bit different, in that they don't use a groove for the bolt but have a nock and an arrow rest which cuts friction and gains speed.
Love you`re work,it`s art! With out the groove,you gain string life to,it`s just a matter of prod alignment,but you know that.Good luck with the self employment venture,It`s good to be thr king!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 AM   #19

Yeah, self employment is a while away yet, until then I will keep on earning my paycheque as a CAD draftsman and playing with my projects.
But I am building up tools and experience and right now trying to get a loan to buy a 100 acre bush block which is off the grid with solar power, andhas sheds I can use for workshops and so on.
If I can set something up and make a living from it I will quit my day job and go for it!
First up I am going to apply for a dealer's licence..........if I can get that then I can start making crossbow actions among other stuff, and maybe even sell some overseas, even over to your end of the world......
Would be nice........

Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Yo Down Under!

My wife and I got tired of the rat race in 2004.We purchased some acerage in a fairly remote area.The place had every thing we needed,a 3000 sq.ft. heated work shop,beautiful veiw,ample wild life,but the main thing it lacked was the ability and accessability to co-exist with the out-side world.Even simple tasks such as on line access was difficult.It is difficult to maintain a bussiness.I love my home and the personal freedoms it offers but it can be very incoveinient at times.Persue you`re dreams,make it real,but know what is possible and what is imposible,the out-back seems to pose quite a challenge.Post more "Pics" and ideas. LOVE YOU`RE WORK and hang tough.