The Crossbow - Opinions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > The Crossbow - Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default The Crossbow - Opinions?

So, I was leafing through some of the pamphlets that I got from the SHOT show this past year. I was actually looking for an article I knew I had on the KRISS, but I found a couple of crossbow mags and started leafing thru them.

That got me to thinking about the practicality of a crossbow, and possible uses in a hunting small game should SHTF application.

I was wondering what some of your thoughts were - Do you like them? Hate them? What ones do you like? Do you prefer a long/compound box, or do you see an application for the crossbow?

Ten Point makes a model that will generate 343fps and 109.7 ft lbs of energy, although they don't disclose the weight of the projectile used.

Horton has a really cool, reverse compound crossbow with 175lb of pull, but will generate 325 fps, but no energy transfer is listed in the brochure.

So, what do you guys think about the crossbow?

Thanks,

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Currently in most state's they are illegal for hunting, unless a physycal disability exists. The majority of "traditionalist" bow hunters despise the thought of crossbows becoming legal hunting implements. This to me is ridiculous considering the crossbow's history and significance in historical events. It also creates animosity among hunters and sportsmen at a time when the sport should be united. The debate is similar in fervor to that which preceded the legalization of inline non-traditional black powder rifles. I am not an inline afficionado, nor do I own a crossbow (I would like to), but I certainly do not object to hunters using them. That being said, however, I do not consider inline black powder rifles with improved ignition, sights, and powders to be consistent with the one week "Primitive" hunting season that occurs at the close of the regular season. Hunters that embrace the thought of spending one week a year attempting to bag a deer with the sidelock percussion or flintlock rifle they have practiced with and become proficient with, should not have to compete against people with scoped black powder rifles that almost match the accuracy, range, reliability, and ease of operation of a centerfire rifle. Many bow hunters feel the same about crossbows because they accept scopes, are easier and more accurate at longer ranges than traditional bows, and because of their stocks are more similar to, and as easy as a rifle to shoot. I disagree - mainly because the bow season begins almost a month earlier in most state's than the rifle season, and a bow hunter can still use his bow (if he chooses) during the rifle season, thereby allowing a bowhunter to be in the woods enjoying his craft for the entire season. The Muzzleloader has only 1 week where he has the woods to himself, and that week occurs after the regular season has closed, and all the deer are wiser, have become even more nocturnal in their habits, and are considerably more spooked. Crossbows are capable of better accuracy and therefore cleaner kills IMO, and that's never a bad thing.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-05-2008 at 02:53 AM.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 AM   #3

Always thought a crossbow would be cool for deer hunting until I found out the Conservation Department only allows them in rifle season . I'm not that good of a hunter to limit myself to it when I can use a gun .

From the articles I have read over the years the restrictions on them are due to simple prejudice as they aren't significantly more powerful than the typical bow just easier to shoot for most people .

O JD FYI if you get one don't overpay for specialized "Bolts" you can use typical Aluminum arrows cut to the correct length with the proper spine/stiffness of course .

An Easton arrow chart will help you pick a good shaft to make a Bolt out of .

This will help you understand arrow sizes , they come with a 4 digit number say 2117 , 2213 , 2215 etc .

The first two numbers designate the outside diameter of the shaft 21/64 , 22/64 the second number designate wall thickness in thousands of an inch 17/1000 etc .

For a crossbow bolt Easton has two sizes they list at 20 and 22 inches using a 2216 and 2219 shaft , and you buy your nocks and inserts seperately "The nock is what attatches the bolt to the string and the insert is what a broadhead or prectice tip screws into at the other end" the 2216 would be the faster "arrow" because it has thinner walls and thus is lighter in weight than the 2219 .

This site will be helpful

www.eastonarchery.com

Go to company and the FAQ in the dropdown .

Old 08-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #4

In a SHTF, anarchy, situation, shoot yeah.

Barring a screwed-up shaft or mechanical failure, it'd likely out-last all but the largest gun/ammo stores.

I don't remember the guy's name, but someone wrote a book called The Zombie Survival Manual (or something like that). Interesting read. He also brings up the point that a crossbow would be near-silent. Whether it be a single deer or bag-headed evildoers sneaking in the night, that silence offers some tactful differences from a gun (unless you have a dedicated, suppressed gun loaded with subsonic... but again, sustainability comes up down the road).

I'd be more inclined to the crossbow, if for no other fact than I'm a bit lazy and would rather take the easy way of learning a crossbow, similar to a rifle, than having to learn to shoot a bow. I'm assuming both are equally available.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah, I wasn't so much looking for the ability to hunt with it now, but more the ability to procure food, with a decent hit to kill ratio and minimal noise later on should chaos & anarchy rule.

Max Brooks was the author of the Zombie Survival Guide - great read. Definite junk food for the mind, but entertaining. I picked it up before a 6 hour plane flight and couldn't put it down. I got his follow up World War Z, which is supposedly after the world is attacked, and repels, the Zombie hordes. Max Brooks travels the new world collecting stories from the survivors. It's supposed to be made into a movie for late 2009 or 2010 release. Should be entertaining....

JD

Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 AM   #6

Movie? Woot.

I'm no physicist or whatever one would be, but it seems to me that a lighter bolt would have greater initial velocity, but further downrange would slow faster than a heavier one... also, wouldn't the heavier bolt carry more force? I'm pretty sure this is the case with bullets (barring aerodynamic designs and wizardry), just wanting to make sure for my own knowledge.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS View Post
Movie? Woot.

I'm no physicist or whatever one would be, but it seems to me that a lighter bolt would have greater initial velocity, but further downrange would slow faster than a heavier one... also, wouldn't the heavier bolt carry more force? I'm pretty sure this is the case with bullets (barring aerodynamic designs and wizardry), just wanting to make sure for my own knowledge.

You're 100% correct but , the thing is whether it is for hunting or eliminating a sentry the trick is to get an arrow or bolt that is heavy enough to absorb as much of the bows energy as possible to make as quite a shot as you can yet keeping it as light and as fast as you can .

The reason is simple the speed of sound is far "Approximately 1,100 vs 350 FPS" greater than an arrow and a bolt can travel and few rigs "even crossbows" can reach the 350 FPS mark .

If you've ever hunted with a bow or even done much reading on the subject you will hear what is called "Jumping the string" in which an animal will hear your shot and instinctively jump in one direction or the other causing a complete miss . This is especially true with nervous high strung Whitetails that have been hunted heavily .

Old 08-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #8

I've seen "vibration absorbers" for tennis rackets, little plastic-looking clips.. would those aid in the sound suppression?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS View Post
I've seen "vibration absorbers" for tennis rackets, little plastic-looking clips.. would those aid in the sound suppression?
No, but there are "silencers" for the strings.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:00 AM   #10

String silencers come in all different designs but the most popular are the "Puff Balls" that make it look like you have a wad of yarn on the ends of your string .

A few tips for silencing both a compound bow and modern compound Crossbow .

1) set it as close to it's peak draw as you can handle comfortably , you adjust the weight by loosening the limbs up and giving them more flex . Loose limbs make more noise then tight ones .

2) use cable slides to prevent them from rubbing together

3) use some type of string silencer or simply add a few string nock sets to each end of the string the weight is what helps dampen it by stopping the movement faster

4) use a weighted stabilizer they do make a stabalizer for crossbows try looking at bow accessories at the Ye Olde Archery Shop's site , they also make Limb dampeners that replace your limb buttons on both limbs for a regular compound bow They might work with a Compound/crossbow also .

5) cover your arrows contact points with moleskin " I use a prong rest with Teflon arms"