Cops and Tazers - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Cops and Tazers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Look how freekin hard is it to understand when you mouth off and resiest a man with a tazer that more than likely he is going to end up tazing you.

These are reasons I can't be a police officer and or prison guard. I would go threw more tazer cartridges than any 10 other officers. I would ba tazing every one I could. Only because they wouldn't let me shoot all of them.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
These are reasons I can't be a police officer and or prison guard. I would go threw more tazer cartridges than any 10 other officers. I would ba tazing every one I could. Only because they wouldn't let me shoot all of them.
LOL! The reason for the creation of the first select-fire or full-auto tazer.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #53

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Doesn't really need to be full-auto...the usual seems to do OK!

Stun gun death: Taser fired 28 times

June 18, 2009 - 10:17AM
A Taser used on a man who died after being stunned went off 28 times at the time of the incident, say police.

Queensland Police say data downloaded from the Taser used on a 39-year-old Antonio Galeano in Brandon, near Townsville, showed it operated on 28 separate cycles at the incident on June 12. In a statement, Queensland Police said they were analysing the Taser to determine how many of those 28 cycles involved Galeano.

Deputy Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said it was unclear if the man had been shot that many times.

"We are yet to understand exactly what those activations were - whether they were being fired or whether it was ... placed against an object or person," Mr Stewart told ABC Radio.

He said one cycle lasted up to five seconds but there was no standard on how many times it should be triggered.

"There is no specific guideline that restricts the number of times the trigger can be pulled," Mr Stewart told ABC Radio.

A criminal justice expert said one shot was enough to disable someone.

Criminologist and RMIT Professor Julian Bondy says the incident raises questions over why Tasers are so powerful.

"We don't issue frontline police with firearms with a thousand bullets, we don't issue them with capsicum spray the size of fire extinguishers," he said. "Every other weapon they have is limited in its capacity but this one is out of proportion."

Queensland Police Union acting president Ian Leavers said he was baffled by the data.

"At first it was believed the man was tasered three times, now this figure that's come out is baffling," he said. "I say let's get cameras on Tasers so we can be certain - it's important we have the best available evidence when allegations of wrongdoing or excessive force are made."

He said cameras would provide footage of an event which could clarify how many times a person was tasered.

A coroner is investigating the death.

Stun gun death: Taser fired 28 times

Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #54

I agree that law enforcement have become perhaps a little too comfortable with using a Taser on a criminal. This is in no fault of the Taser, but in the police officers training.

On the flip side though, if I was some idiot out there who thought I was going to resist arrest, I would much rather have the Taser used on me then an ASP expandable baton. Pepper spray will make you feel like your eyeballs are being burned out of your skull by a red hot poker. Batons break bones and cause severe muscle bruising, not to mention lasting pain. A Tasers effects end immediately once the discharge stops. And let's not forget the final tool in the police officers aresonal, which is a 45 slug to the chest.

But realistically, any tool used by law enforcement or any other individual which causes a combative person to conform to your demands against their will, will always have the potential to cause a fatality.

"(1996): "Each year, use of NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) accounts for an estimated 7,600 deaths and 76,000 hospitalizations in the United States." (NSAIDs include aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac, ketoprofen, and tiaprofenic acid.)" Drug War Facts.

According to these statistics, there are more individuals killed each year by anti-inflammatory drugs than by Tasers during their entire existence. Should we take Ibuprofen off the shelf because these individuals had a bad reaction to it? No, because the good Aspirin, Ibuprofen and the other drugs do far out ways the bad. Tasers are no exception.

Need a Stun Gun or a Taser C2? Use our coupon codes to get them for $75.00 off a Taser C2 or $150.00 off a Taser X26C.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I would rather get injured by a tazer rather than injured by a 9mm. Take your pick. I think it is ust the media trying to report the news that it wants.

If one person a week is getting injured by a tazer think about how many peoples lives it has saved in the process. Many tazings would have been shooting 15 years or so ago.

If you don't want to be tazed then do what your told. If you think it was not right then complain about it after.

I agree wholeheartedly. Don't resist arrest if you don't want to be TASERed. Every individual arrested has the right to question why he/she is arrested, but in a manner that should not be insulting to the officers or cops.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #56

Hello, my name is SgtGing, I'm a police officer, and I carry a Taser.....

Its a wonderful tool that when used properly, can limit injuries to both police and suspects. Before Tasers, we had batons to strike the suspect with. I've received a hit from a taser, and believe me, I'd rather take the taser than a hit from a cocobolo nightstick! The problem is, when tasers are used, people scream police brutality. Would they prefer to be hit with a wood or metal stick? Or worse, shot? (depending on the circumstances, of course) I still carry the nightstick, the taser, the o.c. and the .45 They are all steps in the force continuum. Abusers of the taser will be caught and dealt with. In my department, we even have the cameras on the taser. Needless to say, we have a very small incidence of taser abuse.

We fight for Truth, Justice, and the American Way....

Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #57

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

From what I see, tasers have made it easier for bad or lazy cops to abuse their "power". The downside for misusing a taser is nowhere near comparable to the downside of misusing a baton or a handgun. Accidental shootings were very rare, and there is a good reason for that. The gun trigger has a much higher level of "finality" to it than the taser trigger, and rightfully encourages a higher level of thought before action. Tasing is very common now, and it's use is becoming as accepted as a dog's shock collar to curb "bad behavior". Cops are not gods, they are human and are subject to the same anger, frustration, and emotional issues as everyone else, times ten, due to their increased exposure to stupid and dangerous behavior on a daily basis. However, we expect more from them because of the power they are entrusted with.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-02-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If an officer sees a person fleeing the scene of a vandalized/burglarized car, is the officer legally allowed to shoot this unidentified & apparently unarmed person/person of interest/suspect in the butt? Can they tomohawk the peron in the back with their billy club? What about the tazer; if that person is still in range can they be tazed, regardless of whether the suspect is holding a weapon or acting threatening (i realize that range is currently pretty limited)? Sounds like a substitute for chasing down a person who may or may not have done a damn thing.

Tazer abusers should be treated very similarly to officers who make an improper/illegal shot at a person with a handgun, IMO. If there are no real consequences to misuse, then legitimate users will have to understand the stigma they will be subjected to.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:46 AM   #59

As I'm planning on going into Law Enforcement I've been doing ride-alongs with some of the local police departments and the guy that I regularly ride with has been an officer for over 4 years and has only used his taser twice. I'm fully for cops having tasers and using them if the need arises. I am however interested to see what the ratio is of female officers using them as opposed to male officers.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 08-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #60

OK so I have heard every thing from, if the cops just talk nice bad people will do what they area asked, to just taze them all. the fact is until you are in my and other cops shoes you have no right to say I am an over baring, crazy as*, power hungry freak hell being on the destruction of my fellow man. I am called to so may differing things day to day that I can not count them all. I have been doing this for 8.5 years and I have only used the tazer 2 times. I have pulled it out several times and it ends a lot of the problems right there. Some people just will not calm down and do as they are asked.

The use of any tool can be dangerous and abused by a few. The media wants to put the cool story's on. They do not want to show you the 1000's of cops each day doing there best to keep all of you protected and safe. Yes some are power hungry shi* bags, That is how it is in any profession.

Note: I have been pepper sprayed two time. Both times I was able to fight back and do what I was asked to do. First time I got sprayed I had to fight with a baton for 45 sec, find my way to a car, find keys for the car, unlock the car and get in and honk the horn. The second time (I will not bore yo with the details) I had to fight for over 3.5 min before going in and cleaning off. Pepper is a good tool but a deturmand adversary can over come the pain. With a tazer if I get a good hit (one of the the two I did was not) the person can not over come the effects.

Last thing, tazer had done extensive research and studies using the tazer on, men and animals. Not one of them died during the studies. Can a person die from unrelated problems after being tazed, yes. Did you know when pepper spray came out people died from unrelated complications from it's use. All tools used to subdue a person that does not want to be controlled can hurt them. That is life. Like others have said, do as you are asked and in 99.9% of cases you will not get hurt. That is my rant on this one. Be safe out there all you LEO's.