Cops and Tazers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Cops and Tazers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cops and Tazers

Whats everyones take on cops being given tazers? It seems like since they are told these are relatively safe the chance of them being implemented unnecessarily shoots up. It seems like every week there is another story of an abuse of this tool. I think way to many people are getting injured by these unnecessarily.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would rather get injured by a tazer rather than injured by a 9mm. Take your pick. I think it is ust the media trying to report the news that it wants.

If one person a week is getting injured by a tazer think about how many peoples lives it has saved in the process. Many tazings would have been shooting 15 years or so ago.

If you don't want to be tazed then do what your told. If you think it was not right then complain about it after.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #3

Liked 1152 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I would rather get injured by a tazer rather than injured by a 9mm. Take your pick. I think it is ust the media trying to report the news that it wants.

If one person a week is getting injured by a tazer think about how many peoples lives it has saved in the process. Many tazings would have been shooting 15 years or so ago.

If you don't want to be tazed then do what your told. If you think it was not right then complain about it after.
Or you do what your told and your pinned on the ground and a BART cop means to grab his Tazer but grabs his gun and shoots you in the back instead. Your dead because the cop had a Tazer. Remove the Tazer from his belt and he would have never mistook his firearm for a Tazer.

I agree with TruthsRazors that Tazers are more dangerous because people are told how safe they are. Anyone reasonable person who carries a gun knows that if they pull that trigger they may take a life. Many people don't realize Tazers can kill too, both Cops and civilians.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Since the "don't taze me bro" incident, i've been noticing regular stories about taser use situations that appear to be misuse or abuse. As always, the media doesn't seem to provide the whole story on these incidents. It is my belief that they are being overused when simple physical manipulation of the suspect would get the job done more safely. I do realize that physical contact increases risk of injury to the officer; i believe that is part of the job these officers have accepted. If there is an unarmed "suspect" (maybe just some idiot arguing about signing a ticket in Utah ) who is being uncooperative, the police response should not involve a device that is potentially lethal.

I think the ticket incident in Utah ended up costing the state about $60,000 to settle & no telling how much in PR costs & legal consultation fees. I'd prefer my tax dollars be put to better use.

On the other end of the spectrum, i worry that the extra decision of taser vs. pistol might slow down an officer's response & get them shot (yet again tax dollars wasted and life lost).

Old 03-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Or you do what your told and your pinned on the ground and a BART cop means to grab his Tazer but grabs his gun and shoots you in the back instead. Your dead because the cop had a Tazer. Remove the Tazer from his belt and he would have never mistook his firearm for a Tazer.
Source??

I have a friend that recently went through the Academy for King County Sheriff. They were shot with both the pepper spray and the tazer. He has said over and over again that he would rather pull the tazer than pull the pepper spray because he felt it hurt like hell when it happened, but he recovered far faster.

Until you walk a mile in their shoes, knowing that any traffic stop could lead to more excitement then most of experience all year, I am going to side with the boys in blue and their use of the tazer once in awhile.

Especially when the "person of interest" is over 100 to 150 pounds heavier than the officer in question.

Robo ( who happens to be a very large police officer if you don't know ) - What are your thoughts on the issue??

JD

Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #6

Liked 1152 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 363

Defense: BART Shooting Cop Meant To Use Taser - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

The Raw Story | BART cop's defense claims Taser mistaken for gun

Video of the incident - Youtube is blocked where I work, I think this is the right video.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Wow! I had not heard that up in this neck of the woods. Initial is this...

We have the M-18 Tazer that my woman used to carry before she was trained in the use of a handgun for self defense situations.

1) The tazer is question feels nothing like the pistol he was most probably carrying, so there was a training issue. It has a huge bulky handle and the safety is slide mounted, so he would have had to snap that off to use it. Oakland cops, when I was there in 2002 and again in 2005, all carry Glocks. There is no slide mounted safety.

2) The tazer in question WEIGHS nothing like the pistol he was most probably carrying, so there wa a training issue.

3) If the guy was face down, and the officer felt he still had to pull his "tazer" there was a problem that is not being reported yet...

It would be interesting to see the whole story come out, but no doubt about it, that dumbass needs to be brought up on charges. Stupidty ( the form of being unfamiliar with your own weapons ) in a job like BART cop, or regular patrolman, should not be a pre-requisite of the job....

JD

Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm in favor for police use of Tasers. The Taser is great because temporarily disables anyone, no matter how many drugs they are hyped up on.

Unfortunately, the media gives its use a bad rep. They say its terrible that someone died from being shot with a Taser. Well, at least the officers were trying to use less lethal means instead of going straight to their guns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Source??

I have a friend that recently went through the Academy for King County Sheriff. They were shot with both the pepper spray and the tazer. He has said over and over again that he would rather pull the tazer than pull the pepper spray because he felt it hurt like hell when it happened, but he recovered far faster.

Until you walk a mile in their shoes, knowing that any traffic stop could lead to more excitement then most of experience all year, I am going to side with the boys in blue and their use of the tazer once in awhile.

Especially when the "person of interest" is over 100 to 150 pounds heavier than the officer in question.

Robo ( who happens to be a very large police officer if you don't know ) - What are your thoughts on the issue??

JD
The issue is that peper spray does not cause permanent damage. Tazers on the other hand can cause neurological disorders as well as death and it is happening quite often. They implement these tools and provide unnecessary harm to subjects when other means could get the job accomplished.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post

I agree with TruthsRazors that Tazers are more dangerous because people are told how safe they are. Anyone reasonable person who carries a gun knows that if they pull that trigger they may take a life. Many people don't realize Tazers can kill too, both Cops and civilians.
If your not being a jack azz and or resisting there would be no reason for you to be on the ground correct? I have had my share of run in's with the law (I am a speeder) I have been removed from my car I have been surronded by 6 police officers beause my rifle was in my gun rack. Not once did I resiest and guess what they did what they needed to do and all was good. Did I get man handeled a little on the gun stop yah but oh well. If you don't want to deal with this keep your nose clean and follow the law.

Your lucky I am not a cop you give me lip I am going to taze you right there and then. I don't play and I don't take crap.

Just like the "Don't taze me Bro" video if the kid would have clamed down stopped resiesting and just go out of the buildging he would not have gotten tazed. He was resisting arrest for no good reason.

Sorry unless people start bursting in to flames or start turning into brain eating zombies because they are gettign tazed I say let them have them.

I think that the tazer belt should be used in court as well for all violent criminals.