Compound Bow vs Regular
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Compound Bow vs Regular

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Compound Bow vs Regular

I know the extra pullies in a compound bow make it be able to create more velocity for the projectile but is it all that much more powerful than a regular fiberglass bow? How about an approximately 2 foot tall compound bow versus a 4 foot tall fiberglass bow?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The newer breed of fast short bows are putting the arrows out there incredibly fast. They also need to shoot much stiffer arrows as a result. What this does is allow you to shoot flatter so you get more yardage.

My dad got a real taste of this once while filming for the Outdoor Channel. He shoots a recurve, with Cedar arrows. The rest of the group was shooting the high dollar fast bows, and he said these guys could shoot groups all day out to 80 with no trouble. Funny thing is that they were impressed with him since he was doing it natural without all the scopes and such. I forget what he said the fps was for those arrows, but I believe it was twice what a recurve did.

FWIW, I shoot a Longbow.

-Bidah

Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It also depends on the poundage you are pulling on the compound in conjunction with the weight of arrows. I target shoot, so my arrows are the size of a pencil (longer of course) and I pull 50#. The heavier the arrow, the slower the fps of the arrow. At tournaments, the recurve shooters always get to shoot a little closer.