Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Cold Steel's folding knives that open with two hands....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterMarksman338 View Post
Why did Lyn stop making the Arc-Angels? I was actually going to buy one but his site doesn't sell them anymore. Not selling a whole lot?

I am not sure, but I believe they still sell them out of their Texas shop. Arc-Angels are SUPER illegal in Kalifornia, where Cold Steel is based for some stupid reason.

Check with these guys

They always have great prices on Cold Steel stuff and they may still have a few... I have done business with them about a dozen times and always been happy.

JD

Old 03-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I had an old Balisong spear point back in my juvenile delinquent days. It was rock solid and loads of fun to play with. Many a friend has a scar on their fingers from playing with that thing.

Like many things, they're of questionable legality in Cali. IIRC, only LA and San Fran counties have ordinances against them.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #13

and Oakland.....For sure on those three...

Old 03-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How come there are stores here in my town that sell butterfly knives?? I know of three popular stores here in Fresno County that sell them, one of them sells tactical gear to police officers and to civilians. I sure the police see those knives.... does it differ from county to county?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #15

Quote:
How come there are stores here in my town that sell butterfly knives?? I know of three popular stores here in Fresno County that sell them, one of them sells tactical gear to police officers and to civilians. I sure the police see those knives.... does it differ from county to county?
One word bro - "Collector"

It's not illegal to own and collect. It's illegal to own and CARRY....

JD

Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
One word bro - "Collector"

It's not illegal to own and collect. It's illegal to own and CARRY....

JD
I worry then... I know quite a bit of people here even at the church I go to who carry butterfly knives on their person. So.. they are risking getting in serious trouble or the cops here just don't care about enforcing that law.... I know I wouldn't enforce this law if I was a police officer.

So they own and carry... and these are good guys, clean record.... I don't want them in trouble. They just purposefully ignore this law.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I worry then... I know quite a bit of people here even at the church I go to who carry butterfly knives on their person. So.. they are risking getting in serious trouble or the cops here just don't care about enforcing that law.... I know I wouldn't enforce this law if I was a police officer.

So they own and carry... and these are good guys, clean record.... I don't want them in trouble. They just purposefully ignore this law.
It boils down to what an officer wants to do. A lot of misdemeanors and civil infractions are left to the officer's discretion. The letter of the law and the intent of the law are rarely one in the same.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
It boils down to what an officer wants to do. A lot of misdemeanors and civil infractions are left to the officer's discretion. The letter of the law and the intent of the law are rarely one in the same.
Plus one on that. I got a buddy who recently became a King County Deputy. He was over and checking out my Presidio 5000 one night during a UFC fight card and told me the following:

"If you get caught with this, and the cop is in a bad mood, you are going to be in trouble". I was like, it has an external safety, so it's not a gravity knife, and the safety locks the blade in place, so it's not a spring assist until such time that it is to be opened....

His reply: "And with your record ( none ) and the worst case of getting stopped for speeding or J walking, that would definitely be enough for you to be on your way without a problem....

It's all in who you are and how bad of a mood the cop is in. If you have a record, you are probably going to be in trouble. If you are Joe Citizen, minding his own business and just didn't lead them on a 60 mile high speed pursuit, you are probably going to get a warning and have a nice day...

JD

Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For awhile I was actually shopping for a balisong thinking that they were ok to carry. I don't care about doing all that fancy flipping around... I like the safety of the blade being inside the handle and flipping it isn't that long when I pull it out of my pocket ( I've been training with a trainer).

I was disappointed when I found out these suckers are illegal. UGH! Butters are AWESOME!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #20

Hunter - Have you checked the knives that feature an auto opening feature when they leave your pocket? I forget who is leading the way with them, but it will come to me here in about 5 minutes.

The feature a really good, strong blade, with a bit of a "J" shaped hook on the back of the blade, and when you remove it from your pocket, it catches on the double stitching of your jeans and automatically pops open, so you are holding an open knife, but it is not an auto assist or even a spring loaded blade. Your own force determines if the weapon opens or not....

Let me look for that company. I saw a demo at SHOT in 2007 and it was pretty cool. Wicked thick blade....