Cold Steel's folding knives that open with two hands....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Cold Steel's folding knives that open with two hands....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Cold Steel's folding knives that open with two hands....

Cold Steel has two knives in their line.. the black rock hunter and the Paradox both require both hands to open. They aren't butterfly knives but would be these be considered as good carry knives? I imagine it would suck to open them when under stress or adrenaline, but they are legal though even in the UK to carry. Is there really a point to them really for self-defense sense? Other than having a strong locking mechanism.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

No offense bro, but that is the dumbest damn thing I have ever seen in a knife.

I have met Lynn Thompson twice, and I truly like the guys knife blades, I feel they are some of the best on the planet, but his handles are always some stupid assed design that no one wants, or needs, in a knife.

Why on Earth you would WANT to have to tie up both hands to open a knife with his "one click, two click, three click, four click" approach when faced with a threat is completely beyond me.

What are you going to do? Run around a parked car and hope the bad guy doesn't have his knife, or gun, already out and tracking on you??

Knife crime in England is actually on the rise, even with the 11 bourough recent "bannings" of all pocket knives. I expect them to go back to allowing knives in the near future because the Brits are making serious noise about how bad the knife crimes have become in the areas where it is now ILLEGAL to carry a blade.

I would strongly suggest another option, like Kimber Life Act or something that is Less Lethal, but more effective, given this criteria.

4 clicks to get that knife opened is going to get you stabbed, or shot, multiple times before you even have a fighting chance...

JD

Old 03-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aye'.... I was thinking the same thing too, I have two of their knives and they are awesome. I just don't see the point of these two folders other than being really really safe to carry in regards to not accidentally cutting your finger when trying to reach it in your pocket. Course I've never encountered that kind of problem with folding knives or even fixed.

You really met the guy? I've recently just starting watching his product DVDs and kudos to him for going all out with the torture tests. I wonder if he is going to make a new one with his new stuff.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterMarksman338 View Post
You really met the guy? I've recently just starting watching his product DVDs and kudos to him for going all out with the torture tests. I wonder if he is going to make a new one with his new stuff.
Absolutely. He is very approachable and quite talkative to be honest. Cold Steel always has a HUGE booth at the SHOT Show and I have gone 5 times in the last 7 years. If you ever get the chance to go, I HIGHLY recommend it because you can play with EVERY gun you have ever wanted to touch.

Have you seen the latest one where they test their swords? Amazing stuff.

They really make great steel, but whoever is in charge of their handle division needs to go back to work for tupperware.

I have their Hatamoto and that damn blade is AMAZING. I could probably pry a manhole cover out of the ground with the damn thing... LOL But, that damn G-10 scaled handle eats the holy hell out of my pants....

JD

Old 03-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

why not jut get a simple folder stud to open it with one hand? all this two handed opening stuff seams a little stupid to me. If I could I would get one of them assisted opening benchmade knives. I should have purchased one while I was in the army. (DUMBAZZ)

Old 03-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
why not jut get a simple folder stud to open it with one hand? all this two handed opening stuff seams a little stupid to me. If I could I would get one of them assisted opening benchmade knives. I should have purchased one while I was in the army. (DUMBAZZ)
Check the innerwebs.

https://www.knifemart.com/browse.asp?MOVE=NEXT&cat=16&CurrentPage=1&path=1,1 6&ManuID=&KeepPage=1&OrderBy=Name

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 03-09-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What a crock! A bogus butterfly...

You don't want to use two hands to open a freakin' knife!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I understand this is for the U.K. market, but I've never had a knife just "pop" open on me, regardless of style.

If I had to go through all that, I'd hit the bad guy.

And if I was a bad guy, I'd feel badly for my victim, because they already got robbed with the purchase of this knife, and I'd just walk away.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We buy nothing but kimber and I have never had problems with min Aaron dropped his bike skidded on 30 feet of asfault tore the side of his pants open where the knife was in his pocket then the next day went back to look for it and the knife was still in PERFECT condition with the exception of a few scratch marks. He sent it back to kimber to be inspected and they sent him a brand new knife even though that one worked fine.

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why did Lyn stop making the Arc-Angels? I was actually going to buy one but his site doesn't sell them anymore. Not selling a whole lot?