Ceramic knife for skinning
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Ceramic knife for skinning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Ceramic knife for skinning

My hunting partner and I were using razor knives to skin the hogs we harvested (like that word instead of the other one?), then one day my partner was at Harbor Freight and on a whim, bought a 3" ceramic paring knife. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-ceramic-paring-knife-98183.html

On the next hog that was taken, the knife was given a trial and darn if it didn't work, maybe better than the razor knife. So on we go back to Harbor Freight and bought more to have on hand if they ever dull. They are easy to clean and easier to control when cutting and trimming.

We used a 20% off coupon and bought them for about $5.

dan2.jpg  

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #2

Liked 2394 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Yep, ceramics can get a sharper edge than steel.

A friend has a knapped obsidian knife made from volcanic rock with a handle of deer antler that is as sharp as a scalpel. The only thing is that the blades can be brittle. So you have to be careful not to pry or drive in toward bone. But for skinning they are great.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #3

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Ceramic knives are very sharp. I bought the exact knife you did. When I was gutting a deer, absent minded I whacked the deer's pelvis. That was the end of the ceramic knife. I never bothered to get another.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #4

For trimming along the bones and taking the backstraps, I use a Chicago Cutlery 5" boning knife.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I got the Yoshi blade package from Walmart once. Ceramic chef's knife and ceramic Tater peeler. $20 I believe.

They were great! I need to replace them. Lost them in the split. Along with my favorite can opener.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I got the Yoshi blade package from Walmart once. Ceramic chef's knife and ceramic Tater peeler. $20 I believe.

They were great! I need to replace them. Lost them in the split. Along with my favorite can opener.
Isn't it amazing how the little things become important after "the" event?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #7

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54

Isn't it amazing how the little things become important after "the" event?
Hell yeah. I miss that can opener terribly. It was a "pampered chef".

And because I don't have much disposable income, I haven't replaced it. It was something like 12 bucks. The one I have now cost a whopping $2. I tried to find a p38 instead. I lost that too.