Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Case Knives (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/case-knives-4568/)

NunWaGun 05-22-2008 08:55 PM

Case Knives

Does anyone here have a Case knife, want to post a picture?

I am wondering if anyone else has old ones with the bone handles...

CA357 05-24-2008 06:06 AM

I have a newer Case. It's a lockback Gentleman's Folder it has Micarta bolsters. It's a handsome knife and it spends most of it's time in a dresser drawer.

freefall 06-24-2008 04:33 AM

yup

I have a couple of Case fixed-blades. Quite possibly the nicest factory made knife in America. Technical imbecillities make pictures an impossibility. Sorry.

30-30remchester 01-25-2009 01:19 AM

just found this thread you still interested in old case knives? i have some xx and tested xx

Franciscomv 01-26-2009 02:23 AM

I've got quite a few of them in my collection, they make nice slipjoints for a fair price. The steel on their stainless blades is not very good, but their carbon steel (CV) blades are quite nice. I wish they offered more patterns in carbon steel.

It's a pity that they don't make any CV fixed blades, I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow after work.

30-30remchester 01-26-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franciscomv (Post 65507)
I've got quite a few of them in my collection, they make nice slipjoints for a fair price. The steel on their stainless blades is not very good, but their carbon steel (CV) blades are quite nice. I wish they offered more patterns in carbon steel.

It's a pity that they don't make any CV fixed blades, I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow after work.

have to agree with you on stainless steel blades. they are difficult to sharpen. case built the finest production folders and the widest range of models. older case fixed blade were carbon steel. their is a saying in the knife industry relating to folders it goes like this " if it doesnt rust, if it doesnt have bone handles, if it doesnt have a shield, it doesnt go in my pocket". having a fairly good pocket knife is like having a fairly good parachute.

Franciscomv 01-28-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-30remchester (Post 65693)
having a fairly good pocket knife is like having a fairly good parachute.

Amen!

There are some great stainless steels out there, but the usual stuff Case uses is far from the quality of premium stainless. I LOVE their CV knives, though.

For summer carry in my hot and humid corner of the world I've settled on an AG Russell Premium Scout. It's got all the nice features of traditional pocket knives (bone handles, nice shield which can be engraved and a bail), but the main blade is made out of 154CM, a rather nice stainless steel.

I do own a few stainless Case knives (all folders) I haven't had trouble sharpening them, but the edge retention is too poor for my taste.

I forgot to take the pics, I promise I will tonight!

Benning Boy 01-31-2009 06:01 PM

Love the older ones, but it now seems like they are made as collector items first, and pocket knives second. Almost like the Franklin Mint of the cutlery world.

GatorDude 05-20-2009 03:50 PM

I've got a cheap Case Mini Blackhorn Pocket Knife. It's just a blade and nylon handles. But, it works well doing all the things I expect a small pocket knife to do. When the economy improves a bit, I think I'd like to pick up a really nice one. They show Case Knives on the cheesy satellite TV shopping show called "The Knife Show" all the time.

The Case Mini Blackhorn Pocket Knife - An Inexpensive Pocket Knife Made in America - Associated Content

matt g 05-20-2009 04:49 PM

I've got a Case collector's set someplace. The knives have fake scrimshaw, plastic handles. They were given to me as a gift about 20 years ago.