Carrying a knife - "more likely to be used against you"? - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Carrying a knife - "more likely to be used against you"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

People say they are but iv never had a cop say anything bout em here in Missouri
MO law does not call out push daggers specifically but it does make it illegal to carry ANY knife concealed except "any ordinary pocket knife with a blade no more than four inches in length".

Laws in many states specifically outlaw the carrying of push daggers or double edged knives (i.e.. daggers) in general.

Last edited by mdauben; 01-27-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #22

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

In many, if not most cases where a knife is introduced into a fight, the first time a person realizes a knife is being used is right after they've been slashed/stabbed mutiple times by the knifer.

A knife wielding person does not wave the knife in the air to warn others that he/she is armed. That just invites a firearm to being introduced into the fray.

Nope, the knifer keeps their blade down low, next to their leg waiting for the right time (as soon as their target's attention is drawn elsewhere) to make their attack. And as soon as their strike is made, they are in retreat mode.

Many attacks are made from the rear. Safer that way for the knifer.

In and out! Quick and deadly.

Anything else is 'hollywood'...

eldar

Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1588 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Anyone with military or martial arts knife training is not going to lose their knife unless they are running away or get shot. That is one of the more stupid articles I have ever read. Hell, I have seen a guy take on several armed police officers with a knife in a youtube video.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #24

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

I've seen a lot of knife fights, and I've been on the losing end of one.
From personal experience and observations...

1) People are scared of guns, not knives. The VAST majority of what I've SEEN, is the knife wielding person brandishes the knife to scare off attackers, look cool, scare people etc... This usually happens in bigger brawls, where there are a group of people, or a guy pulls a knife to defend from multiple attackers. 99% of the fights I've seen, knife or not, involve a great deal of smack talking, posturing, threats, and chest bumping before any violence starts...if it even does. Someone usually pulls a knife during this initial stage, for the stated reasons. The flow of violence works around that person, the crowd will not be intimidated by the knife, and the crowd of people now focus on the knife holder. This person usually gets hit by a sucker punch from the side, or a solid object to the back of the head.

2) Usually, the attacker doesn't really want to kill anyone, and will "slash" at people to drive them back, and cut them, to make a point, but not a direct stab like motion.

3) I've NEVER seen anyone use an overhand stab like the movies. Only slashes and a few thrusts.

4) As stated by people on here, a lot of people don't know who stabbed them and don't even know they've been stabbed until someone points it out...I was stabbed in my heart, and felt my feet were wet from the blood loss before I felt that I had been stabbed... Actually, I felt my lung collapse, and I don't think I ever even felt the actual stab, Even though I knew I'd been stabbed, because I watched the dude stab me.

I've seen a guy stabbed up at a bar, walking around, screaming "Who stabbed me?!"

My friend in highschool pulled a Kbar out on a guy downtown. The guy backed into my friends knife, getting stuck in the kidney (didn't go deep enough to actually hit his kidney). He turned around screaming, "Who the **** stabbed me?!" He felt it, but didn't know how or who.

I've seen a guy who was stabbed downtown, and someone had to point out that he'd been stabbed (My dad actually treated him), he'd been stabbed in the arm, stomach, and face, and didn't know he'd been stabbed.

I've seen and been a part of more, but you get the idea.

5) I know it happens, but I've never seen a straight up "I'm going to murder you, prison style stabbing." Where the guy has actual intent, walks up, blade concealed and starts shanking a dude rapidly, to kill them. But off of what I've seen, and what I've been through with my stabbing... I'd be willing to bet that you could stab someone quickly over 10 times before they even realized you were attacking them. Because getting stabbed isn't getting punched. It feels like one of your buddies walking up and play tapping you...then you feel wet, and lightheaded.

The point of this is... If you walk up to a guy, start stabbing him like he owes you 5 smokes in San Quinten, then NO, he's probably not going to disarm you, Jacki Chan style. He's probably going to put his hands up in an instinctive defensive posture, not even realizing whats happening, and gets his hands sliced up in the process. Good luck grappling covered in blood.

If you pull a knife and stick someone in a mele, and keep walking, theres a high probability that no one will notice, not even the victim.

If you pull a knife and play tough guy, bring attention to yourself, use it to threaten people, then you'll probably get smashed across the head with a bat, bar stool, q ball or whatever.

Just my experience...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Last edited by Mosin; 01-29-2013 at 04:17 PM.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #25

To add. In re-reading my post it kind of seems like I'm trying to be a bad ass. Not true at all, I'd run from a knife, and they scare me.
From 18-26 years old I worked at restaurants bars and night clubs, so all I did was live the nightlife, get out of work at 11pm, then hang out downtown until 4-5 am. 8 years of that, and you see a lot of stuff like that.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #26

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Interesting, Mosin...

Your experiences are just opposite of what I've witnessed. Different time frames perhaps (1960's-70's) or maybe locations (Mediterranean, France, Italy)...

Glad you are still here to tell about it.

eldar

Last edited by eldarbeast; 01-29-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: eliminated one 't' too many... :P
Mosin Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #27

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I carry a knife all the time on Long Island... I can even carry in NYC but it has to be concealed.. Nassau county is open carry..

Although if I had to I would use it for protection I would, I carry cuz I use it a lot... Heck a cop used it last week, my neighbor had a heart attack in his driveway.. I found him and called 911... Cop used my knife to cut his shirt open to use the defib..

If I can't carry a gun ill carry a knife.... If I can't carry a gun or knife,, ill move!!!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #28

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
I carry a knife all the time on Long Island... I can even carry in NYC but it has to be concealed.. Nassau county is open carry..

Although if I had to I would use it for protection I would, I carry cuz I use it a lot... Heck a cop used it last week, my neighbor had a heart attack in his driveway.. I found him and called 911... Cop used my knife to cut his shirt open to use the defib..

If I can't carry a gun ill carry a knife.... If I can't carry a gun or knife,, ill move!!!!!
I carry both and ill use both. I was always taught if you have to pull a gun or knife don't threaten w it....just kill the sumbitch and get on w life
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #29

If you're unarmed and find yourself forced to face a knife attack, I'd look for a weapon that gives you distance. Everywhere you go, you're surrounded by great potential weapons. I've seen a guy get laid out with a stabbing motion from a rolled up Newsweek, and I've seen a guy whip the snot out of 3 attackers with a snapped off car antenna. Distance, and surprise beats knife.

People Like This