Carrying a knife - "more likely to be used against you"? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Carrying a knife - "more likely to be used against you"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6040 Times on 2990 Posts
Likes Given: 6415

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemFire View Post
This is something being spouted by campaigners with amazing regularity in the UK, as they are trying to discourage youths from carrying knives for "protection". Obviously, here its illegal to carry a knife as a weapon, but as usual, only decent people obey the law and everyone else just ignores the law and the problem continues to exist while we continue to be inconvenienced by the ineffective laws.

Anyway is there much if any truth in this?. I.e. in an altercation/fight, is your knife more likely to be taken and used against you?. I never see any stats or actual evidence to suggest this which makes me suspicious.

I'm not saying this couldn't happen but I doubt its as easy as they make out, I.e. to take a knife from someone intent on defending themselves with it. These types of kids who are attacking each other, certainly aren't likely to be trained in disarming techniques!.

Are some knives easier to retain than others?. Do people who carry take this into consideration?. Even if it isn't "more likely", to be taken and used against you.
Its all about the user of the tool, not the capabilities of it in the right or wrong hands. If your not ready, willing and able to use a tool your sporting, someone else probably will be and they could likely use it on you.

By the nature of the terms Thug, Criminal, Despot, and Bad Person, they spent time preparing to be good at being bad, not Book-facing, studying Global Warming or Mayan Culture. As the possible victim, many arent comfortable with cutting anyone even as self protection, he who hesitates becomes victim by default.

Just like we've all heard 100 times before about guns, dont whip it out unless your ready to use it first.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8745 Times on 3780 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

"More likely to be used against you.

Right............NOT!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 01-06-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #13

Liked 2420 Times on 1569 Posts

As kids, my brother and would practice with a soft rubber knife he had. We would wear dark clothes, and put chalk on the blade of the knife only, so we could keep it as real as possible. Occasionally, the one without the knife would disarm the attacker, but not much. Lots of fun.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
This is something being spouted by campaigners with amazing regularity in the UK, as they are trying to discourage youths from carrying knives for "protection". Obviously, here its illegal to carry a knife as a weapon, but as usual, only decent people obey the law and everyone else just ignores the law and the problem continues to exist while we continue to be inconvenienced by the ineffective laws.

Anyway is there much if any truth in this?. I.e. in an altercation/fight, is your knife more likely to be taken and used against you?. I never see any stats or actual evidence to suggest this which makes me suspicious.

I'm not saying this couldn't happen but I doubt its as easy as they make out, I.e. to take a knife from someone intent on defending themselves with it. These types of kids who are attacking each other, certainly aren't likely to be trained in disarming techniques!.

Are some knives easier to retain than others?. Do people who carry take this into consideration?. Even if it isn't "more likely", to be taken and used against you.
Thats the same mantra of idiocy the totalitarian leftists spew here about handguns and why you shouldnt have one. The fact is if you need to use an object in self defense regardless of whether its a rock knife gun or club its probably going to save your life.

Actual statistics show that the armed citizen routinely and with astounding regularity with little to no training have better success defending themselves than "highly trained" police officers do. The reason this is true is because civilians arent trying to catch a goblin only make the idiot leave them alone.

Goblins are cowards by nature with extremely poor work ethic and very low morals or they wouldnt be goblins trying to rob or kill you. Weapons in the hands of private citizens is vastly more effective at deterring and stopping crime than police, video cameras, and lawmakers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #15

Liked 495 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I would imagine there is some truth to being able to use a knife against someone. Someone pointing a gun at you 10 feet away is much more difficult to disarm than someone with a knife at the same distance. The knife wielder has to close the distance.

That said, would YOU want to take away a knife from someone?

What really kills me, figuratively of course, is that the people talking about knives being used against the defenders are people sitting comfortably at their desks. I doubt any of them have been in what I refer to as a "physical altercation". I'm really tired of people using theory as fact and movies as a reliable reference. A hand-to-hand engagement is dangerous, fast, and rarely graceful. I have faced multiple opponents with nothing but my bare hands (Bear hands would have been better, but you make do with what you have). When it was two to one I was fine. When it almost became three to one I realized I was going to have to fight dirty. Fortunately help arrived. This was almost 10 years ago. I would have much preferred to have been armed. Today, pushing 40 and feeling additional aches and pains of my youth, I'm not sure I would win that fight.

Gun, pepper spray, taser, knife, club, whatever. It is better to be armed.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Those who may have a knife taken away from them, probably lacked the will to use it and were only trying to bluff there way out of a situation. My grandpa told me two things when I was younger that stuck with me. One is "never pull a weapon unless you intend on using it" the second was "never show them your knife, let them feel how sharp it is"

Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #17

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemFire
I call BS on this oft repeated lie. I spent 20+ years studying several different martial arts and we often did disarming drills. The best people in the class with years of training would typically succeed around 50% of the time. Even knowing the proper techniques to disarm a knife wielding opponent chances of "turning his knife against him" are very small.

Of course this is assuming a determined opponent. It the person is afraid of their own knife, if their afraid of actually using it, chances of it being taken away increase dramatically.

Quote:
I think the T-handle on push daggers is probably about the toughest to take away, but of course they are totally illegal most places.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #18

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I call BS on this oft repeated lie. I spent 20+ years studying several different martial arts and we often did disarming drills. The best people in the class with years of training would typically succeed around 50% of the time. Even knowing the proper techniques to disarm a knife wielding opponent chances of "turning his knife against him" are very small.

Of course this is assuming a determined opponent. It the person is afraid of their own knife, if their afraid of actually using it, chances of it being taken away increase dramatically.

I think the T-handle on push daggers is probably about the toughest to take away, but of course they are totally illegal most places.
Your right....easiest way to take a blade from someone is to break their elbow or wrist causing them to drop it. It takes alot of knowledge, skill, and power to do that......it also takes the drive to be able to do it and live w the knowledge you did so to someone amd most people juat don't have that will power.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #19

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Thanks for all your thoughts guys!. Very interesting.

I collect knives and only carry them on private land mostly as they are not legal in public without good reason (and its illegal to defend yourself here) but if I had one for a concealed PPW, it might be this Brous Blades one. It handles seriously well when using one of the rings, especially using the forward one over your forefinger, with the edge up like a clinch pick.

Are push daggers illegal in the USA to?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #20

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Thanks for all your thoughts guys!. Very interesting.

I collect knives and only carry them on private land mostly as they are not legal in public without good reason (and its illegal to defend yourself here) but if I had one for a concealed PPW, it might be this Brous Blades one. It handles seriously well when using one of the rings, especially using the forward one over your forefinger, with the edge up like a clinch pick.

Are push daggers illegal in the USA to?
People say they are but iv never had a cop say anything bout em here in Missouri