Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Carrying a knife - "more likely to be used against you"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Carrying a knife - "more likely to be used against you"?

This is something being spouted by campaigners with amazing regularity in the UK, as they are trying to discourage youths from carrying knives for "protection". Obviously, here its illegal to carry a knife as a weapon, but as usual, only decent people obey the law and everyone else just ignores the law and the problem continues to exist while we continue to be inconvenienced by the ineffective laws.

Anyway is there much if any truth in this?. I.e. in an altercation/fight, is your knife more likely to be taken and used against you?. I never see any stats or actual evidence to suggest this which makes me suspicious.

I'm not saying this couldn't happen but I doubt its as easy as they make out, I.e. to take a knife from someone intent on defending themselves with it. These types of kids who are attacking each other, certainly aren't likely to be trained in disarming techniques!.

Are some knives easier to retain than others?. Do people who carry take this into consideration?. Even if it isn't "more likely", to be taken and used against you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #2

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

That's a typical liberal bed wetter's response...

They say women should never carry a gun because it will be used against them...poppycock...

It's a feeble minded scare tactic...

I've never heard of stats to back up such a silly claim but if they are out there, make sure the suffix of any site you quote has a .gov or .org in it...

All I know is that if I found myself in a fight with someone that had a knife, I wouldn't be in that fight very long, I'd be walking the other way...(or pulling my gun out...)

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #3

Good post, I agree. Thanks

Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #4

Liked 1283 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Just cause you have a knife, doesn't mean you know how to use it for self protection. The way knives are typically used in movies, and experienced fighter just might use it against the owner.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2706 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Sounds like another "made for the agenda" factoid.
9 out of 10 people on the internet agree, if you hear stuff like this and it makes you wonder, "Who comes up with this crap?" Then it's probably crap.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.
RemFire Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #6

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

The only good statistics and professional opinions about knife fights are that there are no winners. When two people engage in a knife fight alot of the time both end up with the same amount of damage,the "winner" being the one that bleeds out slower. Most people experienced in martial arts and knife fighting experts will tell you that facing someone with a knife is the last thing you ever want to do,even if you also have one.

I also seem to remember reading statistics stating that bonafide knife fights are more lethal than handgun fights.

I also don't see a feasible way for an average joe to disarm anyone with a knife. Someone can snatch A handgun away from you if your close enough and aren't paying attention if they have luck one their side I reckon. But there's no way you can just reach out and snatch a knife from someone without getting your hand carved up,I think it would take some serious knife-disarm techniques that would have to be learned and practiced. Not something most people do.

Last edited by Jstrong; 01-05-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 382 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 118

One issue with carrying a knife or firearm. I have never seen a gun or a knife puled in a fight normally a few punches thrown its over no one hurt. You introduce a knife or gun then you could make things a lot worse. And yes your knife or firearm could be taken of you and used on you. You have to weigh up the pros and cons of carrying any weapon.

Last edited by manta; 01-05-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

Just to clarify I would never be interested in having a so called "knife fight". Nor am I suggesting I would get into a fight involving my own knife unless the attacker didnt give me the choice of just leaving!. Its all BS really, I mean how many of these toe to toe knife fights take place in reality?. Anyone stupid enough to get involved with that should be refused the medical treatment that they will inevitably require, if they even survive.

While carrying a knife (I do most days as an essential item for work), common sense says to do everything possible to avoid any sort of confrontation.

But on the other hand, I don't have an issue with sensible people (not convicts etc) carrying with the thought of protection in mind. There are plenty of people out there that like to think they can assault other people because they are probably defensless, some of these scumbags might benfit from being politely shown that that's not always the case. I was once attacked by a nutter with a rock, when I presented my knife he suddenly seemed to shrink in size and then f**ked off, as then did I. So they can work well in order to deescalate situations that could otherwise have ended up going where?.

It might not even be a human you need to defend yourself from, the fasion around here seems to be owning and walking everywhere with a bunch of big aggresive dogs, check out some of the incidents involving dog attacks...

Also check out, http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifefighting.html, quite a good read.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #9

I was reading a martial arts magazine that I found at work, and someone asked how to best defend oneself from a knife! The author's answer was to "run", as fast as you can! It then went on to say that even if a person had never fraught with a knife in his life; that you were still more than likely to get cut! He said to test how hard it would be; just give a friend a red magic marker and try to take it from him without getting any red marks on you! Apparently, it's very hard to get involved in a confrontation with anyone using a knife, with out getting cut! I think I'll take his word for it, but if you doubt him, you can always give a friend that red marker!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1037 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 432

I guess I'll just have to take my chances with my 18+ years of martial arts training with and without weapons while carrying my knife and Glock with me.

Anyone who tells you that you're better off unarmed against an armed or unarmed assailant with no weapon of your own does not have your best interest in mind. I would view anyone who makes such a statement with as much suspicion as any potential mugger, rapist, or serial killer.

There must be some reason, I can't fathom what it could be, that the police and military carry weapons with them.

Anyone who is sufficiently skilled to take your weapon away from you and use it against you would also have been sufficiently prepared for an armed confrontation with a weapon of his or her own.

Anyone who chooses to carry a weapon of any kind should have training in its use. Anyone who chooses not to carry a weapon should have sufficient training to disarm those who choose to carry weapons.

Anyone who thinks it's easy to take a knife from an adult, man or woman, should hand a young teenager a marker and then attempt to take the marker from them without getting marks all over them.

I carry a small bladed folder with a large handle. Disarming someone carrying a knife is usually the result of pain or injury inflicted on them, but leverage can also be used to pry the knife from someone's hand. That can be accomplished using another knife, a club, a rolled up magazine, or whatever else happened to be handy at the moment. Size and strength matter, but generally one or both parties in a knife fight are getting cut at contact distance.

I have the follow criteria for the knives I carry:

1. Durability

2. Ease of use

3. Edge retention

I carry a folder as a utility tool that can also be used as a weapon. Knives are used as utility tools far more often than as weapons, so it makes sense to me to have a useful utility tool first and foremost. I don't carry a knife specifically optimized for any sort of doctrinal combat use, as those knives are generally not useful utility tools. A karambit is, I'm sure, a fantastic knife fighting implement but I'd never know that because I'd never carry one. One look at the blade should tell you it's not gonna work well for opening boxes or prying things apart.

Carry a knife if you feel the need to, but do get some training and practice regularly with your shank of choice.