Carrying a fixed-blade knife IWB?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Carrying a fixed-blade knife IWB?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Carrying a fixed-blade knife IWB?

Does anyone do this? I did for a while, taking a standard knife sheath and bending the belt loop backwards so it could attach to my belt while the body was inside my pants. It worked okay, and I went to a folder after becoming licensed to carry an actual firearm.

But, does anyone do this? I have only actually ever personally seen one fixed-blade knife with a sheath actually designed to be carried concealed. It was some smallish Gerber with a 3" Tanto blade, IIRC. Thus, I know it is not super common. I have read articles on different ways people do it and they were basically Intro-To-IWB-Carrying-A-Knife articles similar to what a new CCer might read about when searching for carry positions.

Now, I have a pretty nice Folder that I trust completely (Cold Steel, 4" blade), but I have had this urge to get something fixed for IWB carry.

Whadya think? Have you done it? Is it valuable being able to get to it that much faster? Does quick access outweigh the convenience of simply throwing the folder in your pocket?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do, its a Bud Nealy Aikuchi.
You're able to carry them in almost any position you can think of.
My only problem with his knives are the price tag...for some of them you can get a new carry weapon.
Check him out:
Welcome to budnealyknifemaker.com
But before you do carry a fixed blade knife, check your local laws and see what's needed to do so legally.

Happy Shooting
--Creekside

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Last edited by Creekside_Sports; 01-15-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Whadya think? Have you done it? Is it valuable being able to get to it that much faster? Does quick access outweigh the convenience of simply throwing the folder in your pocket?
Boot knife or Horizontal belt carry sheaths for me. You have to be able to get to your knife quickly, and somewhat unnoticeable and draw in one swift, smooth motion.

Horizontal carry is very comfortable and concealable.

Sunrise River Custom Knives and sheaths

As always, check your individual state laws for carry and YMMV.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I keep a buck skinning knife in my back pocket it tucks nice and you can draw quick. I figure I will eventually wind up with stiches but havent yet.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I find IWB dosnt agree with me. I live in a state that dosent care how big your knife blade is. I've been carrying my 7'' bowie knife(coldsteel recon scout) for six months. From the bank to the Sheirffs office wirh no problems. That and i dont trust folders of any type, one to many locks failing.