Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Can I get some info on this knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can I get some info on this knife?

My dad told me one of his friends (I also know) had carried it during hit tour of Iraq, but other than that I know nothing about this knife. how common is it? whats it worth? is it standard issue? or is it something my dads friend gave to him?

Miles

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That is a Becker Knife and Tool Companion, made by Camillus and designed by survival expert Ethan Becker. It's not an expensive knife, and as far as I know it wasn't standard issue for any military unit. Since Camillus went under their Beckers have gone up in price a little bit, but not much. Especially since Ka-Bar is now making them again.

You can see some modern Beckers on Ka-Bar's website: https://www.kabar.com/product_search.jsp?categoryId=1&mode=category

Although it's not an expensive collector's item (unless you find a really hardcore Camillus collector who doesn't mind that it's not NIB), it's an excellent tool. Ethan Becker made good designs and Camillus manufactured them well. Strap it on and give it hell!

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
That is a Becker Knife and Tool Companion, made by Camillus and designed by survival expert Ethan Becker. It's not an expensive knife, and as far as I know it wasn't standard issue for any military unit. Since Camillus went under their Beckers have gone up in price a little bit, but not much. Especially since Ka-Bar is now making them again.

You can see some modern Beckers on Ka-Bar's website: https://www.kabar.com/product_search.jsp?categoryId=1&mode=category

Although it's not an expensive collector's item (unless you find a really hardcore Camillus collector who doesn't mind that it's not NIB), it's an excellent tool. Ethan Becker made good designs and Camillus manufactured them well. Strap it on and give it hell!
thank you! I looked up the becker companion, and non of them are serrated, is this custom, or was the serrated one abandoned when becker wen under?

Miles

Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 AM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hey I didn't know bkt was making knives!

That's cool, we got a mod making knives.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-11-2009, 04:10 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm sorry, the name of the knife is CAmpanion, not Companion. I made a mistake. I used the Wayback Machine web archive to get a look at Camillus' old website from before they closed. You model is not listed as a standard offering in their Becker like (here's the entry for the BK2 Campanion CAMILLUS CUTLERY CO. - Quality knives since 1876)

I've been checking with some collectors that are more knowledgeable about Camillus than me and they told me that the BK2 Campanions with partially serrated edges were made by Camillus to be sold to the US Army. The model was called BK2SG and it the NSN # was 1095-01-493-1798 (some websites list this number as the one for the Becker BK11 "Brute", but I've seen it printed on an actual BK2SG box in person)

So yes, you've got a rare model that might be of interest to Camillus colectors or US military knife collectors. Still, an NSN number does not mean it was issued. There are lot's of knives with NSN numbers. Do you have the box and paperwork? I've seen these sold for around $160-$230 depending on condition. Yours seems to be in pristine condition, if you've got the box, Camillus business card and CLP cloth it came with, you'll be able to sell it for a good price.

This were massed produced knives, and while they are rare they don't fetch very high prices. A new one from Ka-Bar is around $65 (from Shop for case knives, Kershaw and other discount knives at Knifeworks.com), so more than $200 should be considered a good price for a "rare" Camillus. A hardcore Camillus fan might pay more.

Just to clarify, Becker didn't go under. Camillus did in 2006. The Becker knives are still alive and well and made by Ka-Bar now.

It's a nice variation on a very good knife, unless you need the money, keep it and use it.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 12-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
I've been checking with some collectors that are more knowledgeable about Camillus than me and they told me that the BK2 Campanions with partially serrated edges were made by Camillus to be sold to the US Army. The model was called BK2SG and it the NSN # was 1095-01-493-1798 (some websites list this number as the one for the Becker BK11 "Brute", but I've seen it printed on an actual BK2SG box in person)

So yes, you've got a rare model that might be of interest to Camillus colectors or US military knife collectors. Still, an NSN number does not mean it was issued. There are lot's of knives with NSN numbers. Do you have the box and paperwork? I've seen these sold for around $160-$230 depending on condition. Yours seems to be in pristine condition, if you've got the box, Camillus business card and CLP cloth it came with, you'll be able to sell it for a good price.

This were massed produced knives, and while they are rare they don't fetch very high prices. A new one from Ka-Bar is around $65 (from Shop for case knives, Kershaw and other discount knives at Knifeworks.com), so more than $200 should be considered a good price for a "rare" Camillus. A hardcore Camillus fan might pay more.
sadly, this is all I have, I could ask dad to see if he would still have the paperwork and everything else

Thank you so much for all the info!

Miles