Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Can anyone tell me anything about this knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Can anyone tell me anything about this knife?

This knife was my grandmother's. I recently acquired it from my sister. I don't know how old it is, but it is old. It is shaped like an old fashioned lady's shoe. It is about 1 3/4 inches closed and about 3 1/4 inches open. My parents thought that my grandmother might have gotten it at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Should I use Flitz and clean the blade or leave it as is?

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have been an antique knife collecter for decades now so I do have some knowledge. First, you have a small shoe knife usually reserved for womens sewing kits. These were quite common in the early part of the 1900's. These sold for just pennies at this time. These were lightly constructed knives meant for light duty work. I cant tell from you photos, but if you can give me a name of the knife I will look up the manufacter in my library. Lastly, speaking from many years of collecting and cleaning knife, the knife will lose any real value if polished. Ther blade is pitted and no polish will help this. I have ruined many a good knife in my early years, cleaning historic knives.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:08 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I wish I could tell you the manufacturer. The only writing on the knife is that in the bottom picture. It seems to indicate that it was made in Germany. I don't know if that is the name of the manufacturer.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8383 Times on 3627 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Think the maker was Germania Cutlery Works (werks) . Company founded in Solingen Germany about 1885 by a Mr. Kastor. Many years later, they bought a US company called Camillus.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I am having a difficult time reading the name in the photo. If is says "GERMANIA CUTL. WORKS" it was made in Germany between 1896 and 1938 and made for export to the US.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am not really interested in any monetary value for it. The sentimental value to me would far outweigh any montetary value it might have. I was just hoping to find out more information about it.