Buck Knives Question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Buck Knives Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 436 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

sorry about the pic but thoughs are the three buck knives i carry on all my deer hunting trips and i wouldnt carry any other brand

Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #12

The first place I always look whenever I want a working knife - Smokey Mountain (They've got a special sale on Buck Knives going on right now!)

By the way, a survival knife is a beast of a different color. Personally, I wouldn't used anything smaller than the Randall #14 that I, now, carry. It's backed up with a CRKT #6783, 'working blade' (Or, more recently, a 'Crawford Triumph') that I carry, either, in my pocket or on the opposite side. Regardless I NEVER use a blade as a pry bar; and, maybe, that's why I'm getting more than a decade's use out of some relatively inexpensive knives like CRKT and KaBar.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humancacher View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right section to put this under, but time for a completely unrelated question. Some of you may be familiar with the company "Cold Steel" that makes [mostly] cheap products to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I know you want feed back on the cold steel shovel but you already mentioned the handle issue. I want to say Cold Steel is a good cheap tool/knife producer.

Cold Steel doesn't actually manufacture anything, they sell stuff made for them by different companies, so quality varies a lot depending on the supplier. They used to have some great stuff made for them by Camillus before it went under (I've got a Carbon V Master Hunter from back then, excellent tool for under $50). Their cheap knives are OK, considering the price, but their top of the line products are overpriced (in my humble opinion, you can do MUCH better for the money).

For a practical camping trowel, I think you should take a look at the U-Dig-It folding shovel. It's quite good, really sturdy. Rei has it for $18.50. U-Dig-It Stainless-Steel Hand Shovel at REI.com

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #14

What qualifies somthing as a hunting knife. I carry an all purpose kershaw rodeo. I've done everything with it including skinning. It's a pocket folder, so I guess the question really boils down to capability and comfort. I love buck knives though. My Grandparents use to sell them at gun shows.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meek View Post
What qualifies somthing as a hunting knife. I carry an all purpose kershaw rodeo.
There are knife designs which are better suited to tackle game dressing chores, some are quite specialized, while others are better "jacks of all trades" if you will. There's an astounding variety in the knife world, so it's hard to set very rigid categories.

A friend of mine found that a little caping knife that I got for working on delicate trophies for my customers (I was a hunting guide back then), was perfect for his knife needs when he went climbing. So to him, it's a climber's knife not a hunting knife.

I wouldn't worry too much about what to call a certain type of knife, if it works for you, use it and enjoy it. Knife collectors pride themselves in knowing all those little theoretical details which don't mean much to the end user (I'm a raging knifeaholic myself).

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If you have an old Buck, hang onto it, most of their stuff is from China now.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I just saw a blurb on The Shooting Wire the other day, said Buck has committed to making all their stuff in US. We'll see.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #18

Default fallkniven

Yes, I got one of them fallkniven's, it is a great knife, mine is a neck knife. Personally ,I don't think a san mai / sandwhich construction is necessary for a knife that small, 440c is just great, personally I used to like a high carbon, I preferred schrade, old timer sharp finger was my number one favorites, flat ground, but now, I'm into D2 steel. fallkniven also makes some nice knife blanks and you can put any handle material you like on them, wood, micarta, or...the san mai is stronger, but it does scratch up on the surface, harder center core steel, softer surface sandwhich steel, if you don't care about that, I agree, it's a great choice for a knife. That is one of the reasons Swedish military uses them for their knives. I also like kershaw & kabar, and CRKT makes some good ones, my favorites are mostly USA made and Japan made steel. CPM steel is also great. Buck knives are a good knife for the price, well made, used to be totally USA quality, a good old American family, now they are starting to outsource a third of their knives to China due to the pressure to have to cut prices. They also moved from CA to ID, for the same reason.

Sadly, since getting into the custom knife world, I am down on anything that I can't make up myself (knife snob?). I just finished a 440c dendritic skinner, and working on a D2 dendritic skinner now. Anyway, sorry about my rant!

As for the grind, it all depends on what you want, some of mine are hollow, some are flat, and some are convex. The convex are stronger, but you can sure get a nicer/sharper edge on a concave ground blade, and you lose the strength, so it's all what you want. Some folks even say that a convex ground is better for cutting up game, it spreads the meat apart as you cut. Most of mine are convex ground, but I have one custom game set that is convex ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
The price difference is probably just because of the wood handle, they're pretty similar knives.

Remember that the prices on Buck's page are the MSRP (manufacturer suggested retail price), and that you can usually get them for much less from an internet store. I'd recommend Shop for case knives, Kershaw and other discount knives at Knifeworks.com they have excellent prices and good customer service. Before I started ordering from wholesale dealers (I sell knives in Argentina), I bought at least 50 or 60 knives from Roger at knifeworks and never had a single problem.

They've got the Pathfinder for $45 and the Woodsman for $52, which is OK for a knife with that type of blade steel. If you can save up some more money, go for one of Buck's offerings in 154CM or S30V, much better steels.

If you're willing to look at other companies, Fallkniven and Bark River make outstanding field knives. If you're a hunter, they've got some excellent designs that work really well. They are convex ground, just the way God and Bill Moran intended!, which in my opinion is a huge improvement over hollow ground blades. They use laminated VG-10 and 3G (Fallkniven), A2, S30V and some very well heat treated 12C27 (Bark River). For a bit under $100, a Fallkniven F1 would be a great choice. It's only $12 more than what you were planning on spending on the Woodsman, and it's a much better tool.

If you tell me the intended uses and your budget I can come up with more options. I just love talking about knives!