Buck Knives Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Buck Knives Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buck Knives Question

I'm looking for a good hunting knife, and I've always had good luck with Buck when it comes to knives. I found these two models that I really think look stunning:

Buck Pathfinder -
BUCK

Buck Woodsman -
BUCK

If you look at the "Tech Specs" button, they look almost the exact same besides the length and material of the handle. Why then, is the Woodsman more considerably expensive? I plan on owning one of these knives one day and want to see if the extra money would be worth spending on the Woodsman or saving up on something else.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It really comes down to what length works better for you and if you want the cocobolo handle. The synthetic handle will not show as much wear, the wood is a bit more handsome. It's strictly your personal preference.

Buck still makes a pretty good knife and I think you'll be happy with whichever one you ultimately choose.

Buck knives used to be the standard, but competition has changed that. I have gone to Benchmade and find that although they are a bit more expensive, they are top quality and worth the extra money.

Buy what you like.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 AM   #3

The Woodsman has a cocobola wooden handle. There's the difference in price, right there! Personally I don't like plastic handles; under a majority of conditions they're just too slippery to use.

It might help if you told us what you intend to use the knife for? Both of these knives have small, 'working blades'. Neither one is ideally suited for either cleaning small game or general skinning chores.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The price difference is probably just because of the wood handle, they're pretty similar knives.

Remember that the prices on Buck's page are the MSRP (manufacturer suggested retail price), and that you can usually get them for much less from an internet store. I'd recommend Shop for case knives, Kershaw and other discount knives at Knifeworks.com they have excellent prices and good customer service. Before I started ordering from wholesale dealers (I sell knives in Argentina), I bought at least 50 or 60 knives from Roger at knifeworks and never had a single problem.

They've got the Pathfinder for $45 and the Woodsman for $52, which is OK for a knife with that type of blade steel. If you can save up some more money, go for one of Buck's offerings in 154CM or S30V, much better steels.

If you're willing to look at other companies, Fallkniven and Bark River make outstanding field knives. If you're a hunter, they've got some excellent designs that work really well. They are convex ground, just the way God and Bill Moran intended!, which in my opinion is a huge improvement over hollow ground blades. They use laminated VG-10 and 3G (Fallkniven), A2, S30V and some very well heat treated 12C27 (Bark River). For a bit under $100, a Fallkniven F1 would be a great choice. It's only $12 more than what you were planning on spending on the Woodsman, and it's a much better tool.

If you tell me the intended uses and your budget I can come up with more options. I just love talking about knives!

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #5

I thank all of you for the great posts, especially you Francis for your extra detail.

I plan on purchasing one of these knives as a basic survival knife for when I go hiking, camping, whatever. I do hunt but only occasionally, but I love fishing and can clean/gut a fish. So basically I want an all purpose knife for the outdoors.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #6

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humancacher View Post
I'm looking for a good hunting knife, and I've always had good luck with Buck when it comes to knives. I found these two models that I really think look stunning:

Buck Pathfinder -
BUCK

Buck Woodsman -
BUCK

If you look at the "Tech Specs" button, they look almost the exact same besides the length and material of the handle. Why then, is the Woodsman more considerably expensive? I plan on owning one of these knives one day and want to see if the extra money would be worth spending on the Woodsman or saving up on something else.
Both are good looking knives.

I think the added expense is the labor to make the wood handle (rather than injection molded) and the brass finish. (Also no info on the sheaths.) I don't understand almost twice the weight of the 1" longer Pathfinder®?? Unless the brass Pommel is hollow.

Before you take the plunge, check out the Marble's Ideal Hunting Knife:

Marble's Quality Knives: About Marble's

In your price range and one good hunting knife.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 on the Marble's!!! They're excellent hunting knives, made in the US, with quality carbon steel blades (convex ground, to boot!). The only problem with them are the sheaths, they are made out of really thin leather, certainly not up to the quality of the knife. But sheaths are easy to make, and there are aftermarket ones available.

I own a couple of Marble's, my favourite is a Woodcraft with stacked leather handle.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #8

One of the cheapest I found on the internet for "Marble's Ideal" was around eighty dollars which seems a bit pricey for me now. However, I'll think about getting it. I want to look and feel these knives anyway before I buy them, and I know my local dealer sells at least the Woodsman and Pathfinder. I'll check to see if he has a Marble's one too. That looks like a great knife, by the way, Francis.

I'm not sure if this is the right section to put this under, but time for a completely unrelated question. Some of you may be familiar with the company "Cold Steel" that makes [mostly] cheap products to buy. As I said earlier, I'm a big camper/hiker and I want a little shovel to dig myself around. Not only can Cold Steel's Shovel do that, it can also supposedly cut through things almost like an axe. This seems pretty practical for twenty or so dollars, but I heard the handles sometimes break off. Any experience on this Special Forces shovel?

Amazon.com: Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel Md: 92SF: Home & Garden

Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #9

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humancacher View Post
Some of you may be familiar with the company "Cold Steel" that makes [mostly] cheap products to buy. As I said earlier, I'm a big camper/hiker and I want a little shovel to dig myself around. Not only can Cold Steel's Shovel do that, it can also supposedly cut through things almost like an axe. This seems pretty practical for twenty or so dollars, but I heard the handles sometimes break off. Any experience on this Special Forces shovel?
I know you want feed back on the cold steel shovel but you already mentioned the handle issue. I want to say Cold Steel is a good cheap tool/knife producer.

I really hate to do this but take a look at the gLOCK ET17169 ENTRENCHING TOOL SHOVEL/SAW for not much more than the cold steel shovel but light years ahead in engineering.

Sometimes it's worth spending the extra buck to get something that will last.

Cheap is usually expensive.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #10

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

windows-photo-gallery-wallpaper.jpgheres a couple of mine