Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Brass knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8438 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Blackjack- see also Sap. A striking implement- typically lead, lead shot or sand, encased in leather. May be round or flat, may or may not have a spring.

NOT to be used to strike the head- unless you are TRYING to kill him. However, in the pre-taser days, if you were wading into a fist fight, could sort things out in a hurry. Wrist/hand/elbow. Trying to kick me- Gotcher ankle. Punch to solar plexus, and he will sit on the sidewalk trying mightily to inhale for anout 2 minutes.

No real reach, but in a crowd you may be concerned about losing control of a baton. And take a look at my avatar- and what he is holding.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #42

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Chance McCall-
I didn't mean you couldn't kill with brass knuckles . You are right about that possibility . I was saying that I bet most users simply hope to win a fistfight that someone else expects to be a fair fight .

Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
What is a black jack? And how do you hit some one with brass knuckles and not cause serious damage?
I bet we could get a number of definitions. Here is mine:

A short club made of [I]solid[I] lead that is larger on the impact end than on the grip. It may be partially or fully covered in leather.

There are spring loaded saps and slappers that are almost always lead shot encased in leather that being as elderly as I am, I would not call a blackjack but others have in this thread.

When using an impact weapon - like brass knuckles - everything depends on where you hit someone and how much force you put behind it. There are four places on the head you could hit someone coming in and if you measured your force you could stun them without doing serious harm. There are numerous places on the body that would also stun themusing measured force without serious damage, and about 6 places where they are going to have permanent problems and a couple where they will die pissing blood for about a week.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #44

Liked 4566 Times on 2209 Posts
Likes Given: 1378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Chance McCall-
I didn't mean you couldn't kill with brass knuckles . You are right about that possibility . I was saying that I bet most users simply hope to win a fistfight that someone else expects to be a fair fight .
I always thought a "fair fight" was one you lost..
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #45

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I always thought a "fair fight" was one you lost..
I'm not sure any fight is truly "fair" unless you are talking about staged matches.

I remember a fight I was in when I was far younger. The guy I was fighting with (not my idea) was 4" taller and 50 lbs heavier and 4 years older. Was that a "fair" fight?

He was not a "fighter" because most people just gave up when he hit them. I was a "root hog and die" fighter. Was that a "fair" fight?

To me, fights are never "fair", and I don't think about fighting in that way. I try to avoid them whenever possible and win them if I can't avoid them.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #46

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I have a pair of cheap brass knuckles that someone gave me; I also have a blackjack and a slapjack around here somewhere. Don't carry them because, as previously noted, they are illegal in Texas.

What I DO sometimes carry, 'cause their nature isn't as obvious, is a pair of sap gloves -- leather glove with powdered lead in the knuckles and back of the hand. Unless you look closely they look like an ordinary pair of gloves.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #47

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts

Someone mentioned switch blades, here in Tennessee there is a bill that just passed the Senate and moved to the house to make switch blades legal. I really hope this passes.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #48

Liked 632 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't know the legality here in FL, but as a teen we would often just clinch a bic reg size disposable lighter. Grip it right, and believe me, lights out.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

I'm all for self preservation and safety and will use what ever it takes to survive an attack, but some things we need to think about..

You have to understand the legal issues that come about from using force multipliers. Any fist-loads up the game. Brass knuckles, are clearly obvious for their intent. Whereas a Bic Lighter not so much, because it's reasonable to be carrying a bic lighter. Same for wearing jewelry (heavy rings) on your fingers, same effect but hard to prove intent Unless they are specific fight rings.

It's popular for many to praise the carrying of a baseball bat in your car, any DA worth his salt can prove intent. Now if that bat was carried in conjunction with a couple of base balls and a glove not so much.

Same goes for a regular fist fight, if you knock your opponent down and you can escape to safety that's what you need to do. If you knock him down and then kick him in the head your going to be looking at some serious time.

Novelty or not carrying on your person "brass knuckles" will get you into trouble. And cost you your 2A rights if a felony comes with it

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #50

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

And nothing is worth losing your right to own a gun!!!

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Steel_Talon Likes This