Which Bowie Do You Recommend? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Which Bowie Do You Recommend?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

CA357, I think you'll be happy with that knife. Ka-Bar does a good job on their heat treat, and the one time I had a customer return a Ka-Bar (a Mule folder) the company sent a replacement without even checking the flawed one.

I've had some problems with their leather sheaths, but that's an easy fix, you can order a plastic one, or better yet get some kydex and give sheath making a try. Factory edges tend to be a bit rough, but they polish up beautifuly. I'm using a Ka-Bar Camp Knife as the basis for a cutting competition knife (little amateur friendly contests a friend runs). The materials are the same as the ones used on your bowie. I changed the handle, polished the edge and now need to get to work on a new sheath.

You're going to love that bowie! Put it to good use and take some pics.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I was talking with my buddy last night and we're overdue for a camping trip. However, I don't care much for snow camping, so we'll wait for Spring. It will get field tested on that first trip into the woods.

I'll post some pictures and impressions when it arrives.

Francisco, I appreciate your input as our resident knife guru.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #13

Hey!
Now maybe I'm just popping off at the mouth here, but before I drop any $ on a Knife I'm going to try to check it out 1st and 1 of the 1st places I'll look is

HERE >
www.knifetests.com Home

But that's just me cause I'm a po-boy W/ OCD!
or maybe I'm just a cheap a$$ but either way . .

Besides if they didn't TEST the EXACT Knife that your thinking of buying they might have tested some thing that was tough as HE11 that might be to your liking!

(Hint

(B**k*r didn't rate any higher than a K-Bar during INDEPENDENT DESTRUCTIVE TESTING.)

I hope this helps you make a wise choice for a tough field/ Combat Bowie!

N.D.

Last edited by N.D.; 01-17-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Addition

Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's a cool site, thanks for the link. I already bought the knife, so it will be what it will be.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

IMHO, those destruction tests are worthless. They are fun, I admit to engaging in that sort of "testing" occasionally, but they don't prove the real functionality of a knife. Any bladesmith can make a knife that will shine at this sort of test, but won't be a good field knife.

I prefer more sensible reviews like those on Welcome Woods Monkey!!, which are carried out by knowledgeable outdoorsmen like Joe Flowers (who designed several knives, including one for TOPS), Terrill Hoffman (a well known gun and knife photographer who hosts Practice What You Preach, a bushcraft get together that's been featured on Tactical Knives magazine) and Tim Stetzer (who's written great articles for Tactical Knives). Granted, they don't wear cool sky masks and they don't usually break their knives, so it might not be as entertaining to watch.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't plan on using the knife for anything other than cutting and chopping. I won't be going hand to hand with a grizzly or a 'gator either. The knife is a tool to me, it has certain functions it is designed for. I will use it for what it was designed.

I was a carpenter most of my life. I used a variety of tools daily and they all had different functions. The same with this knife. I have other tools that will accomplish other tasks more competently and safely.

Even so, it was fun watching those guys beat the stuffin's out of those knives.