Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Other Weapons (
-   -   Which Bowie Do You Recommend? (

CA357 01-15-2010 03:59 PM

Which Bowie Do You Recommend?
All this knife testing and comparison has me wanting a big knife. I guess I can pick up a Ka-Bar fighting knife, but I kind of want a Bowie.

I've been looking at the Becker-Ka-Bar Combat Bowie and the Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie. Here's some info:

The Becker/Ka-Bar:

Overall Length: 14.75 in.
Blade Length: 9.00 in.
Blade Material: 1095 CroVan, Black
Blade Detail: Plain Edge
Handle Material: GFNPA66
Carry System: Glass Filled Nylon Sheath
Weight: 1.65 Lbs.

The BK13: a small fixed blade with a 2 1/4" 3Cr13 stainless steel blade, skeletonized handle and lanyard hole.

The Ka-Bar:

Features a 9.00 in. 1085 stainless steel plain blade and a 5.25 in. black kraton G handle. Comes complete with a leather/cordura combination sheath.

I don't care about the extra small knife that comes with the Becker, so that doesn't factor into the choice. From what I can tell, The Becker has a slightly harder steel. (yes/no?)
They aren't too terribly expensive, so I know I'm not getting custom knife quality, but I trust Ka-Bar.

The knife will see use camping and will likely be used as a machete. I have hatchets, so it won't be used for much chopping, just some general brush use and to be honest, some coolness factor. ;)

Would you knife experts please give me some feedback? Thanks gents.

NitroxAZ 01-15-2010 05:52 PM

I have been eyeballin' the SOG Fusion Jungle Primitive

Overall Length: 14.5"
Blade Length: 9.5"
Blade Material: TiNi Hardcased coating on 420 Stainless Steel
Blade Detail: Partially Serrated
Handle Material: Molded Kraton with Digi-Grip with hammer checkering on pommel for pounding
Carry System: Nylon Sheath
Weight: 14 oz.
Price: $35-$45

Dillinger 01-15-2010 06:04 PM

Well CA, you might want to wait through the weekend because I just got the Kershaw Outcast D2 yesterday and that thing is damn nice for $67 delivered.

I am going to take some pictures tonight if I get around to it to show the size of it, but it's a damn hefty piece of steel.

More to follow....

CA357 01-15-2010 06:44 PM

I won't buy anything until after the 20th. My birthday is coming and I want to give myself a large piece of sharpened steel as a gift. ;)

Franciscomv 01-15-2010 07:27 PM

Out of the two in your original post, I'd go for the Becker. If you're open to more traditional bowies, take a look at some of Bark River's offerings their knives are top notch. Convex ground A2, with an endless choice of handle materials, Mike Stewart's expertise and a great warranty.

My favourite BRKT bowie is this one:

But if what you're looking for a big stout chopper, their rendition of the classic Hudson Bay camp knife is awesome as well:

I like traditional knives more than modern "tactical" ones. :) But for the money, you can't beat those Beckers or the Kershaw Outcast.

CA357 01-15-2010 07:35 PM

What kind of money are we talking with those Francisco? And of the two I listed, what makes the Becker better?

CA357 01-15-2010 08:17 PM

I googled the Bark River knives. They're out of my price range. I'll probably go with the Becker, although I'll wait to see how the Outcast does first. The Outcast doesn't appeal to me as much as the Ka-Bar's do.

CA357 01-16-2010 12:38 AM

I have zero impulse control. I googled Ka-Bar and wound up on Amazon. I picked up the Ka-Bar Bowie for $43.99. plus shipping. Total was $51.30 to my door. That's less than the lowest cost of the knife that I've found so far and that didn't include the shipping.

Happy Birthday to me. :D

This is the one I wound up buying, it fits my budget a bit better too:

canebrake 01-16-2010 01:54 AM

This is my fav big knife for obvious reasons.

The Wilson Tactical Model 11 - 1911 Bowie

My Bowie with Fenrir

Handmade in U.S.A.
The Wilson Tactical Model 11 - 1911 Bowie is handmade from start to finish in our U.S.A. custom shop with American materials. Our professional knifemakers hollow grind each blade by hand without fixtures. Our blades are heat-treated in our custom shop to maintain a precise hardness level for maximum sharpness and edge holding. The handles are shaped by hand and every knife varies a little bit on shape which makes every knife unique. Our kydex sheaths are custom formed and shaped in house to your unique knife. Every knife is inspected and hardness tested prior to leaving our custom shop to insure quality and ideal hardness.
Steel D2
Hardness RC 59-60
Blade Length 5"
Blade Thickness 3/16"
Handle Length 4"
Overall Length 10"
Weight 9.5 oz

CA357 01-16-2010 02:23 AM

You're killin' me, doggone it! A 1911 Bowie? Geez. :eek: