You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Bow shooters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 311 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 146

While I have limited experience with recurve or longbows, I do have extensive experience with compounds. Let me know if you decide to step up to a compound Dave and I'll share what I know with you. I've been a bowhunter since 1974. With your gimp shoulder you may discover it's a compound affair only due to the letoff a compound offers. Good luck with this and keep us updated.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:58 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7455 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
One of the big questions I had for myself is does it make sense to get a lighter draw beginner's bow.
yes. a lighter draw in the 35-40lb range will allow you to build up seldom used muscles and concentrate more on form than trying to hold the draw weight. my current hunting bow is a bear longbow at 50lb my draw length is 28".

one real key step that is often overlooked by new archers is getting the correct draw length with matching arrows and tuning the bow to your arrows.

make sure you buy from a local archery expert they can easily pair you with the correct bow, arrows, and tune both to your draw length.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

And archery is a practical skill which would prove to be useful in a shtf scenario for both hunting and defence. Can you imagine the look on a zombie's face after his buddy catches a 3 foot arrow through the chest going clean through his kevlar and out the back...like a toothpick in those little sandwhiches..heheheh..makes me giggle every time i think about it.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #14

Liked 29 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I think I found a bow that will work for my wife very cheap. It's an older Hoyt Raider in real nice shape. It's 35-55 draw weight and set for a 25 inch draw length. Came setup with sights, quiver, arrow rest, and a couple of arrows. I'm happy as I traded 2 boxes of .45 ammo for it...
wbow.jpg  

Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 316 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 552

looks good! I too am wanting to get into bows, but cant decide between long bow, recurve or compound, I want to hunt with it eventually and I am very attracted to the recurve or the long bow, they seem more elegant. between those two which do you all think would be best?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #16

Likes Given: 2

I have been, and prolly always will be a longbowman myself. If you want a more classic feel, and something that is definetly more challenging and engaging go with a longbow. I am not a professional, but in the past I could never tell a big difference between true "longbows" and recurves. I think if you are a larger framed, taller person, a longbow would be a better fit.
Not knocking compounds at all, but I think as a sport, compounds take away too much of the challenge. I have seen disabled hunters/shooters take up compund bows with slight mods, one older vet that lost his arm, found a release aid that he could hold in his mouth and operate with his tongue!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
looks good! I too am wanting to get into bows, but cant decide between long bow, recurve or compound, I want to hunt with it eventually and I am very attracted to the recurve or the long bow, they seem more elegant. between those two which do you all think would be best?
my choice after moving to WI was the longbow. it allows me to hunt deer far longer than i can with a firearm.
i spent a bit of time at the local archery shop trying out all three styles. the longbow was slim and quiet, recurve seemed crude and loud, and the compound was just to clunky and artificial feeling.

i suggest trying all styles before you buy. what i like may be a bad choice for you

Last edited by JonM; 07-07-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 316 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Yeah I really like the long bow, but which (long bow vs. recurve) have more power better accuracy and the ability to engage long distance (for a bow of course! LOL). As far as size I am 220 lbs. and 6' 2". I can pull 70 to 80 lbs. compund bows easily, so which would be more suited for a person of my size? maybe the long bow?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 07-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #19

Likes Given: 2

Well I have seen where people have used math, on the angles between the bow limbs and the arrow, to prove that longbows are inherently more accurate. The larger, longer bow should be able to throw an arrow farther and harder. If you look at the fact that, with all of the tech available these days, the classic several hundred years old longbow is actually gaining in popularity these days, I don't think you can go wrong with one.
The only way I would choose a recurve, is if I was planning hunting thicl brush, where the shorter recurve wouldn't get hung up as much. But that is about the only time.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
I can pull 70 to 80 lbs. compund bows easily,
the major diff tween recurve/longbow and compound is that with a compound your not holding the 80ish pounds at full draw. its only around 30ish. compounds have 50-75% let off. recurve/longbow your holding the full weight until release. your also not using a mechanical crutch(release mechanism/trigger) to hold the string. the string sits on your fingers.

rule of thumb is if you cant hold the bow at full draw for 15 seconds without trembling and strain its too heavy a draw. your going to want to start lower and work up longbow/recurve are very different than a compound.