Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Bow question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default Bow question

My wife and i want to get into archery but i know nothing about it, could some one recomend a cheap but good quality beginners bow, i have no idea how much bow's cost but i was thinking of paying some where around $100, i could pour threw hours of goggle but i thought id start here, any advice would be awsome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #2

Try looking at a Bear...I dont remember how much mine cost me, but I have had it since I was a kid and still use it to shoot carp...Easy drawback only 35 pounds and still shoots great after years of use.

Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike.

Theodore Roosevelt

Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
My wife and i want to get into archery but i know nothing about it, could some one recomend a cheap but good quality beginners bow, i have no idea how much bow's cost but i was thinking of paying some where around $100, i could pour threw hours of goggle but i thought id start here, any advice would be awsome.
I would recommend a longbow over a recurve. Just because they are easier to handle and shoot. It's also a piece of archery history right there in your hand.

I would recommend a Bear as well for a beginner, you might not be able to get one for as cheap as $100 unless you find one used. If you're not too short, I'd go with a Grizzly:

Bear Archery - Traditional Bows

If your wife is smaller, she might be able to get by with a Cub:

Bear Archery - Traditional Bows

In total those two would set you back around $500 together brand new. Bear makes quality products and the bow will last you a long time.

If you are handy and want a stick in the $100 range, you could make your own bow. Google "self bow" for tips and information on how to build your own bow cheaply.

Here's a few links on self bows:

Primitive Archer | Bow Building 101

Here's a self bow kit from 3 Rivers Archery for $108:

Buy Hickory Flatbow Self Bow Kit - Hickory Flatbow Self Bow Kit

Here's a few cheaper bows from 3 Rivers:

Bows-Longbows-Longbows Imported-3Rivers Archery Equipment, Traditional Youth Archery Bows and Arrows, and Long Bow Hunting

And if you want a REAL bow made by one of the GREATEST bowyers alive today, you have to have a Dwyer:

Dwyer Longbows displays their bows in stock for purchase

I have one, and it's the smoothest shooting longbow I have ever held in my hand. Several of my friends have bows made by Dave and they swear by them. In my opinion he's among the top 5 bowyers in the US today.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We sell many of the Mission Menaces to first time buyers. This bow's draw weight is adjustable from 16 to 52 pounds and the draw length is adjustable from 17 to 30 inches without the use of a bow press.

This bow can easily set-up to suit just about any shooter and IMO it's a good value at around $200.00. I believe the one thing that makes this bow desirable is because it can fit any shooter the resale value should remain high. I bought one for my 9 year old granddaughter and she will be able to shoot this bow through adulthood.

http://missionarchery.com/menace-bow.asp

Mission is a division of Matthews.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 03-24-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
We sell many of the Mission Menaces to first time buyers. This bow's draw weight is adjustable from 16 to 52 pounds and the draw length is adjustable from 17 to 30 inches without the use of a bow press.

This bow can easily set-up to suit just about any shooter and IMO it's a good value at around $200.00. I believe the one thing that makes this bow desirable is because it can fit any shooter the resale value should remain high. I bought one for my 9 year old granddaughter and she will be able to shoot this bow through adulthood.

Menace Bow

Mission is a division of Matthews.
That's a good, cheap compound bow of fairly good make! If compound is the way you want to go, I would definitely check this one out, deathkricket.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Shoot Stalkingbear a PM. He is like some kind of bow guru. I know he has helped other members at getting started and what you need to know.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Are you interested in traditional archery, hunting, target shooting? The first thing that you need to decide is whether you want a compound bow or a traditional bow.

I'd recommend getting started on a simple bow. Take down recurves are quite good because they are easy to carry, and you can get different types of limbs to fit the riser as you get better. You should start with a ridiculously low weight, it will make it easier to learn good technique.

I've had very good experiences with PSE recurves, I've got an old Image (my first bow) that's been in use as a starter bow for friends and their kids for over 15 years and an old take down Blackhawk that I used for hunting until I got into custom longbows.

For around $100 you can get one of their youth models, like the Razorback which would be an excellent learning platform. PSE: Precision Shooting Equipment -

Don't get drawn into buying a lot of different toys and gimmicks at first. You can spend a lot of money on useless stuff if you get carried away. Just get a basic kit and start exploring what you like.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Shoot Stalkingbear a PM. He is like some kind of bow guru. I know he has helped other members at getting started and what you need to know.
This is correct, he helped me a bunch when I was looking at my first bow.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #9

Liked 51 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Thx for all the advice guys, i just want a simple long bow and so does my wife just so we can target shoot, i have though about the compound bow before but id rather just keep it old school, besides wood is sexy. i think i will look into the bear bow as it is the right length for me and the cub is the right length for my wife. My last question would be, what is the pull weight for a avarage person to lern on, since iv never used a bow before i really dont have a feel for the pull on them, i would imagine 50lbs to be maybe good to start with, and my wife would have to be a low weight.

Last edited by deathkricket; 03-25-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Thx for all the advice guys, i just want a simple long bow and so does my wife just so we can target shoot, i have though about the compound bow before but id rather just keep it old school, besides wood is sexy. i think i will look into the bear bow as it is the right length for me and the cub is the right length for my wife. My last question would be, what is the pull weight for a avarage person to lern on, since iv never used a bow before i really dont have a feel for the pull on them, i would imagine 50lbs to be maybe good to start with, and my wife would have to be a low weight.
A longbow with a 50lbs draw is going to kick your ass if you haven't shot before. I would recommend going with 35-40lbs or thereabouts for a training/target bow. You really don't need anything heftier unless you want to hunt with it. A bow that is too "heavy" on the poundage is not going to help you because you need to practice form first and foremost and the added draw weight is just going to hamper you initially.

As for your wife, go with 20lbs unless she feels confident with 30lbs.

I hope this helps!