Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Bear Polar ltd compound bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default Bear Polar ltd compound bow

Anyone know about the polar ltd bow, Due to markings I believe it is 60's, it is in good working order but it is missing the arrow rest and I don't know where to find one. If anyone here also can give me any general info I will be thankful since I don't know jack about bows.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #2

I gave it a very good look over and I already fired it off the arrow shelf which I may just keep using, the cables are in almost new condition but like you said, I still wana get it looked over, It has a string spool canister on it that looks to be from the factory so I am wondering if maybe it was made for bow fishing also. The lbs on the cams go from 40 to 65 and right now I have it set to 45 lbs. I plan on refinishing it and using it as a "plinker". I dont want to go to full power on the cams because of the age I think it may over stress it down the road. It wass made in Grayling Michigan so I belive the latest it can be made was like 78.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_blue79 View Post
Make sure you keep the string waxed with Bow Wax as well, comes in a little tube like Chapstick, that'll keep it from fraying.
Did not know that, I will have to pick some up tommorow when I swing by a bow shop, also is it ok to oil the cam etc?

Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #4

Liked 132 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Old bows like that indeed are popular for bowfishing, since they are inexpensive and bowfishing can be rather tough on them. Metal cables with Dacron strings........pretty tough, but if the cables go you might as well dump it and get another.

The cost of a recable would be at least $60.........if somebody has new old stock or the old stuff to make new ones (there is a place in CA IIRC that makes cables for old bows, some having proprietary swages on the end).

If it checks good, shoot 'er til she blows (which may not happen for many years). Old bows, ya just never know. Heck, some new ones let go due to defects.

Currently shoot a recurve made in the early 80's and have bowfished with older recurves and compounds.

Enjoy it